Isn't the Power of Prayer Just a Myth?????

by Balsam 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kls
    kls

Yes it is a myth . I hear about people praying to lose weight and how it is actually working ,such and such person has lost so much weight because of prayer then you have the child beaten ( me) and the child prays for it to end and it never does it only gets worse. So God will answer the over weight person but a child being beaten is ignored? ,,,, It is a myth

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Secular 12 step programs like AA and NA use prayer as a therapeutic device. Ir works for some because they want it to work. It doesn't for others because they are not really interested in self reflection and change, or the religious connotation puts them off. Writing letters never mean to be sent has a similar cathartic effect for those not religiously inclined.

One of the earliest doubts I had was about promises to give "strength beyond what is normal" to those who worship Jehovah and ask for strength. I have read about self sacrificing nonJW people, Christian and not, whose suffering was unimaginable yet they fought thru with dignity and purpose. And then I'd attend the Hall and hear incessant whining and complaining because of issues like having a mate that was not a JW. I began to realize that the strength was from within. Some people have more of it than others for a great many reasons. The brand of god they worship doesn't seem to be one of those reasons.

• Jez
    Jez

Yup, I think prayer is a myth. I think prayer is just positive self talk. You can talk yourself into anything and convince yourself of anything. Therefore, when one prays, they are really praying to themselves. That is my opinion now.

Jez

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Peacefulpete

I do agree with you. It is soulsearching, change of mindset (behavious, etc), and finding the strength within.

My friend's father was remorseful of his actions because he was dying of cancer. She was able to forgive him, because she had changed her attitude through prayer. Whatever it was, he died at peace and she was at peace enough to forgive before he died.

However, through my journey for understanding and enlightenment, I believe in "god" - He, She, It, and They. I have a belief structure that connects my "higher self" or the strength within to the Universal Energy or Higher Power. My journey only began with allowing myself to open up to the possibility of a Power greater than myself through AA, and of course hasn't ended yet.

There was another post that said something to the affect that prayers are often answered through others, with a hug, a helping hand, a cup of sugar, or a meal where needed. I wholeheartedly agree. There is nothing more important than a kind word, or a helping hand whenever we are able to give it. I have given my last dollar to a streetperson, who needed it more than I did. If he used it for alcohol, he needed it more than I did.

Being consciously and unconsciously connected to Universal Energy (god) leads us into the paths of others that need. It leads others into our paths.

Note, I do not capitalize god.

I once recieved $80 from a girlfriend who borrowed it 5 years before. I was flat broke and had no gas, nor gas money to get to work. Timing is everything.

It's part of the Karmic cycle - what goes around, comes around. This is true for those who abuse their power. It may not happen in the time, nor manner that we want it to, but they will pay.

I know there will be some, or many, who call bullsh*t on my beliefs. That's fine with me. Each of you have your own journeys. Blessings to y'all on the way.

Brenda

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I know there will be some, or many, who call bullsh*t on my beliefs

Those people are not worthy of your time. I still try to live by the moto: Attacking a persons beliefs is assault, concealing truth is deception.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Those people are not worthy of your time. I still try to live by the moto: Attacking a persons beliefs is assault, concealing truth is deception.

Thank you!

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Brenda, you said:

Being consciously and unconsciously connected to Universal Energy (god) leads us into the paths of others that need. It leads others into our paths.

I like that, and it seems to be true!

• kes152
    kes152

Greetings Balsam and Terry,

The truth is, dear ones, is that the power of prayer to God is not a myth. Prayers made to the Father for a good purpose are always heard and answered. Ones who pray out of love for the benefit of their fellowman are heard with more favor than those who pray for the purpose of satisfying or pleasing their own flesh. All prayers that are made with a good purpose and a good intent are heard and answered.. always. Prayers that are made with either a malicious, selfish, or other bad intent are not always heard by the Father. Further, the Father is not the only one who answers prayers. The Devil also answers prayers to ones wanting things that are pleasing to them.

Those who have prayed for their children or loved ones not to die have had good intents or bad intents when making such prayers. The Father has his reasons for saving the FLESH of some, saving the SPIRIT of others, and allowing others to go to rest when they die. It all depends on what was in their hearts and what 'covenant' they had with the Father (which no one knows unless they can either 'read one's heart' or if the Spirit tells them) and what the Father's will was for them. Everything he does, he does with a purpose. Many people have prayed for ones to live when the one dying was praying to die. Many have prayed for ones to die while the one praying wanted to live. Many did not know what was best for them so they ask God to let his will be done, but those who prayed for the person were praying according to what they wanted.

There are many variables involved and many things the Father looks at. But everything he does is for the benefit of the sheep. All whom the Father gives to his Son, will come to him. And he will give all of them everlasting life. The Father's will is going to be done. Those who want salvation will be saved.. and those who do not want it will not be saved.

• shotgun
    shotgun

I agree with Stinky

but I don't think the 'power' comes from some supernatural being. I think if a person thinks good thoughts or tends to be happy or they have a strong belief system, they can be healthier.

Brenda some of your words sound similar to what Dr.Wayne Dyer espouses...have you read his material on the power of Intention...he has some great ideas but I back off when he gets to spiritual for me...your comment on the Universal Energy (God) sounds similar to his beliefs...nothing wrong with that I was just noting the similarity.

Kes152.....I admire your conviction but must say no loving father would act in such a calous way as you described...Explain that to the more than 200 million children who have died in the last 20 years from malnutrition and disease, most of them under the age of 5.

I know it's an argument which has no satisfactory answer for most of us and has been debated many times. It requires faith just like the faith which is needed for prayers to make a difference....faith I don't have.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Those people are not worthy of your time.

I disagree. If I think someone's beliefs are "bullshit" or in other words, "worthless" (I'd never use the term "bullshit", but I might use a synonym), that does not mean that I am unworthy of their time. Are only those that agree with you, worthy?

I think prayer can be powerful, but I cannot believe a god is behind it. Otherwise, that means God gives preferential treatment. He answers the prayer of one woman who's baby is sick, but not another equally decent woman? I just can't accept that .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit