Refusing to eat Lucky Charms cereal...

by Confucious 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Frosted Lucky Charms, they're magically delicious! Pretty stupid we couldn't eat it because, well, it was just cereal! And it was our luck too, since Lucky Charms always had the best prizes. We'd see the commercial when we were kids:

Hey Kids, now when you buy Lucky Charms, you get a free GT Snowracer inside the box!
    (insert image of Lucky flying down a snow covered rainbow on his GT Snowracer)

Yeah, Count Chocula, Frankenberry, and Boo Berry were all banned as well. So was anything related to Casper the friendly ghost. We also couldn't watch that really cool show, The Hilarious House of Frightenstein.

• Margie
    Margie
    Lucky Charms were banned from our house too. So was Count Chocula and that other Booberry cereal. It was made quite clear that all these breakfast cereals were demonic. Eating them could be a way to become demonized yourself.

Doesn't everyone have childhood memories like that??

Unlike worldy kids' parents, our parents loved us and were concerned with our enternal lives on paradise earth. Personally, I have a hard time imagining a thing more threatening to a child's eternal salvation than Satan's very own sugary breakfast cereal.

• woody02302
    woody02302

when we were younger we were not allowed to watch the smurfs because one had jumped off the necklace of a kid and bit them.....got to love religion

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I don't think my Mom was ever that fanatical about it, but she was a health food nut and we usually got oatmeal or Creme of Wheat, which I didn't mind, they were pretty good. I do remember, though, that she wouldn't let me have a charm bracelet or get my ears pierced. I pierced my ears myself with a needle, though, when she was out of town, and by then it was too late.

Country Girl

• Mulan
    Mulan

I would never buy it for my children. How silly is that?

Also the Yahtzee game. I had to black out the words about Luck on the box. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

• alamb
    alamb

We could only eat it after my mom decided SHE liked it and we had to call it "Fortunate Trinkets." No Boo-berrys or Count Chocula though...they were definitely demonic.

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

Oh, man, it's such a trip to run across people with the same memories! We couldn't have Count Chocula, but we could have Cocoa Puffs, which turned the milk all brown. Wonderful Saturday morning food, with the cartoons on. Anybody remember the "Sugar Bear" cartoon show, in which the hip, slick and cool Sugar Bear hocked Sugar Puffs cereal the whole time? That's probably why I'm a slave to advertising *smile*.

My mom was a bit on the wishy-washy side, though. She said those cereals didn't bother her conscience, but she wouldn't buy them in case someone else would be stumbled by seeing them in her shopping cart or in our cupboards. Which sucked, because I kind of liked Lucky Charms, slimy marshmallows and all.

We could also watch shows like "Bewitched" and "I Dream of Jeannie," but not if JWs were over, and we weren't supposed to talk about watching television at all--supposedly in case it would "stumble" someone, in reality, I'm sure, so that we wouldn't be "marked."

We were anyway--when they DF'd my dad, they DF'd us all.

Jankyn

• Valis
    Valis

Don't forget the dreaded Smurf Berry-Crunch, w/extra magic balls!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Love Lucky Charms

• Special K
    Special K

This is a great thread and brings back a lot of memories for me.

Special K ( I'm such a LUCKY girl)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit