The Internet and Apostasy

by CakeMonkey 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• CakeMonkey
    CakeMonkey

Has the internet and forums like these caused an exodus from the j-dubs? When I left in the early 1990s I met support groups through the yellow pages but it still felt like I was the only one in the world who was an apostate. I've come to this forum in the last year to browse because my brother has now left. (!!!!) His actions have rekindled my interest in why I left, and also to remind myself what it's like to adjust to the real world. I'm wondering if all the free information online has caused an exodus of people that would otherwise still be in the religion. I remember a tour of Bethel (brooklyn) and there was a special library of "apostate" literature under lock and key. Only the big shots could read it. So has the internet given people the knowledge (and support) to leave that they otherwise wouldn't have? Are the numbers in exodus from the J-dub's higher now than they were before the internet? What do the experts thinks? Thanks.

• sleepy
    sleepy

I think the internet has made it easier for people to confirm their doubts about the wachtower org and made it easier for them to leave.But to look at aposate stuff on the internet you most probably are already having doubts.Maybe in the past people had doubts but found it hard to get the relevent information to confirm them so tagged along as token witnesses , now they can easily locate information regarding the watchtoer society.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

CakeMonkey,

I see this is your first post. WELCOME TO THE BOARD!

I don't know the answer to your questions, but something you said about apostate literature locked up under lock and key at Bethel caught my attention. While I was there in the latter part of 1965 and beginning of 1966 I came across apostate literature in the main Bethel library. I read it and started to ask questions. When word reached one of the higher ups I was called in "on the carpet." When I told him I had been reading some literature I ran across in the Bethel library, he was pretty upset, wanting to know why I hadn't been reading Watchtower literature instead. Next, I asked him why was it in the library in the first place. He stated that it was not intended to supplement Watchtower literature, but was intended only as reference material. He next arranged a Bible study for me starting from scratch as I was not well grounded in what JWs believed and charged me with being more Catholic than JW. But, in my mind, I knew what JWs believed, I just didn't believe it anymore. So, instead, I left, returned home and was soon visited by an overseer and was told that I was to appear before a judicial committee. I refused and shortly thereafter was disfellowshipped for apostasy. I wonder if I was the cause for this literature to be locked up or if there was another case after me. I hope somebody else read it and got out too, before they locked it up.

• CakeMonkey
    CakeMonkey

How interesting about the library. Thanks for your welcome. I'm trying to support my (literal) brother in his decision to leave so I'm remembering all sorts of thoughts and arguments. Trying to remember how it feels to go through it. I've processed so much of what being a witness in childhood/teenhood had meant to me. Now it's like a refresher course, but with a few decades distance. Nicer this time around. . . What I like about the internet is that you can see how many posters there are. People leaving now can't know what a great commodity it must be to have a semi-anonymous support group, open 24 hours. I honestly thought I was crazy for leaving when I did, as a teenager. NO ONE left where I came from. Especially not a girl and especially not because I had done anything "bad" I just told the elders I thought it was all a load of crap. I remember the Revelations-inspired nightmares and how the vultures were going to pick my eyes out since I was an apostate, or some weird thing like that. Those took awhile to get over.

• kls
    kls

remember the Revelations-inspired nightmares and how the vultures were going to pick my eyes out since I was an apostate, or some weird thing like that. Those took awhile to get over

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

The internet definitely helped me to get the information I needed to feel comfortable in my exit. I had visited Christian book stores and found Crisis of Conscience and a few other books with some good info years ago and some helpful books recently too; but websites have so much more information and it's so readily available!

Thank goodness for the internet!

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

It certainly helped me.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Well lets see I've been out of the JW's now for 3 years. I was disfellowshipped for running away from my husband, divorcing him and marrying my beloved current husband. But while going through all that in the beginning I went to meetings a little, still clung to the hope that the Truth still exsisted there and would help me return. That lasted about 6 months. Then I started reading on the internet, including reading these forums and other vast amount of information out there about the Watchtower Society. Well in a few months I realized I had been fooled by the Elders and Society for a long time. It was then I was able to let go of the JW mentality.

So yes the information on the internet was a key in helping me discover that what I thought was truth was certainly not truthful. C.T. Russells treatment of Maria, Rutherford alcoholism, and Knorrs arrogance with the bethel family really gave me pause. Were these men people I wanted to look up to as God directed. No Way.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: I'm wondering if all the free information online has caused an exodus of people that would otherwise still be in the religion.

The internet is the Watchtower Society's worst nightmare. Before the internet an interested householder would have a difficult time finding opposing views and exposes on the WTS. Now, an interested person (or even an active JW for that matter) can sit down in their own home and find out everything about the WTS they want to know.

There are over 10 TIMES the amount of "opposing web sites" against the WTS as there are for the Catholic Church! The Catholic Church has 995,000,000 more followers than the WTS. In fact, I believe I read that the number of "opposing sites" against the WTS are more than opposing sites for all other Christian religions combined.

Why? The WTS is a sham, a fraud, an outright deception, unChristian and a destroyer of minds, hearts and lives which exists for the sole reason to publish and sell worthless religious literature that does nothing but give glory to themselves.

Farkel

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista
    There are over 10 TIMES the amount of "opposing web sites" against the WTS as there are for the Catholic Church!

Wow--interesting factoid--the catholic church is huge compared to the WT, but this shows they have less dissatifaction among their members--interesting.

Welcome CM. And yes, sites like this make a big difference not only to help those clarify their doubts, but also the support group at sites like this can be a lifesaver to some and a great part of their recovery after breaking away from the cult. This site was a lifesaver to me in many ways and the help I received here was crucial at the time of my exiting.

cybs

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit