Anyone know of a Doctor, Lawyer or other "Professional" who is JW?

by wordlywife 35 Replies latest jw friends

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

well....the only ones I knew were doctors, lawyers or other professionals who just happened to become JW's long after they had achieved their degrees. Those of us brought up in the religion were not allowed to go to university...

now that I'm in university I understand why...geez. We learn so much - science is not anything like what JW's teach us. All lies.

I now don't have any respect for doctors, lawyers, etc. who continue to profess an allegiance to JW's. You cannot pretend to believe their propaganda while pursuing higher education.

they do their best to quash intelligent inquiry.

there are so many incredibly intelligent people among the JW's, but we are taught to stifle our knowledge.

• Corvin
    Corvin

I have not read anyone else's posts on this topic, but here is my experience.

When my mother died in 1990, we went to a JW attourney, Brother B, figuring he would be decent and honest and deal with the insurance companies for us brothers and in our best interests . . . keeping everything theocratic. I could have gotten the desired result myself with the insurance company, but I was only 23 and did not know how to deal with an insurance claim. I thought I needed help.

He had us come in for a consultation and after asking a few questions about our mother's estate and the insurance company, and after reading the policy, he told me that the entire case could be resolved with a mere couple of phone calls and all he would charge me was his normal rate of 250.00 per hour. I agreed, and it was a verbal agreement, albiet, but he was a brother, an elder, and his word was his bond and I would not question his reasonable attitude.

A couple weeks later, his secretary called me to tell me that payment had been made by the insurance company and the check was sitting on brother B's desk. She said I could come in and pick it up at my convenience.

I arrived an hour later and sat in his office once again. He handed me the check, a payment from the insurance company for $15,000.00. Then he asked me to sign it over to him and he would cut me a check from his account for 2/3 of the amount. I said, "you're taking a third of the insurance money?"

"Yes", he replied matter of factly.

"Brother B", I began, "While I understand that is customary for a lawyer to take 1/3 of a settlement or for an insurance claim payment, you told me that you only needed to make a couple of phone calls to resolve things and you would be charging me 250. per hour for your services. May I see a statement for the time you spent on this case?"

He got very red-faced and ordered me out of his office. I asked him once again to please charge me for his services according to our agreement, but he was so pissed, that he ordered me out once again. I took my check for the entire amount of 15,000.00 and walked out of his office feeling confused and disoriented.

Driving home it hit me like a ton of bricks that this JW attourney was an sob and a crook and he just tried to screw me over . . . tried to slip one over on me. What an eye-opener.

Corvin

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

Meet> WHO is Phillip Brumley? alt How many Lawyers does a 'non prophet' corporation need ? The Watchtower's lead Lawyer is featured at my site,whether he like's it or not.

• SadElder
    SadElder

Talked with some Bethel friends last night. Interesting that Burt Schroeder's son Judah Ben has left Bethel to go to University to study law, reportedly specializing in International Law. Now isn't that a crock?

• franklin J
    franklin J

All of the college educated JWs that I knew ( including my elder dad who was an engineer) recieved their college education prior to becoming one of the chosen JWs

• RR
    RR

Believe it or not ... I knew a MS who was a professional .... drug dealer!

RR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit