Anyone know of a Doctor, Lawyer or other "Professional" who is JW?

by wordlywife 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Lehaa
    Lehaa

i know of one CO that the JW org sent to law school, he is now a lawyer for the borg here. He was one of my favourite CO's while I was a kid.

• wordlywife
    wordlywife

I don't see many, if any, luxury cars in the KH parking lot. Could be the area we are in though. I think it is a badge of honor to drive an old car, perhaps? Don't want to be seen as material if you have a Mercedes? Too much eyebrow raising?

The one and only big convention I went to only encouraged women to look for a husband (Bethel husband I think, or CO?). They interviewed a gal who gave up a full ride at U of M to Pioneer. I felt sick!!! Didn't hear any "Go out and be a rug cleaner so you can pioneer" stories for the men, though.

I have to agree, I still like Beemers, I drove a 325is for a while, I still love that model car. Perhaps a "what's your favorite car post" in is order....

• undercover
    undercover

I think it depends on where you live. Jared mentioned the area where he lives and how it is technology driven. It should be a given that if JWs live and work in an area where a lot of people work in the tech fields then you will see JWs with degrees, make more money and have bigger houses and nicer cars. For the most part, they fit the demographic of the area. Just as JWs in farming communities will fit in with that demographic. Sure there will be some exceptions, but in general I think JWs fit the demographics of their respective areas.

I grew up in the rural South. I remember one elder having a degree(one that he got before becoming a JW). Everyone else worked blue collar jobs, sales or farmed. As I moved around, I got to know dubs in bigger cities like Atlanta and Philly. I noticed right away that the big city dubs were much more materialistic than my homegrown farming dubs were. They had more education, nicer jobs, nicer homes and nicer cars. It was sort of a running joke to me and my friends that the bigger the city, the more "worldly" the witness.

• roybatty
    roybatty
    College was only strongly discouraged for things the watchtower did not need (such as anthropologist, biologist, physicist).

Not from what I remember. ANYONE who went to college was looked down upon. As a JW college student elders and other JWs were always throwing in my face Wt articles about how bad college was and that it showed a lack of faith in Jehovah's promises for a paradise earth.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Growing up I knew a Dr. Moreno (sp?) in South East Texas. Last I saw her years ago she was serving on the local Hospital Liaison Committee.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

I am not going to disagree, but how do you explain the watchtower legal department? It did not grow out of thin air.

I believe that the more "shortsighted" professions were hounded more than those "you could use in the new order". The only rip on college that buzzed around here was "bad association" if you lived at a dorm. Considering where I live their are about 5 universities in reasonable driving distance that was never a problem for anyone in the city. They had ended the college "ban" by the time I finished high school.

• Scully
    Scully
    Not from what I remember. ANYONE who went to college was looked down upon. As a JW college student elders and other JWs were always throwing in my face Wt articles about how bad college was and that it showed a lack of faith in Jehovah's promises for a paradise earth.

Yep, I got that thrown in my face too. Imagine how satisfying it was when finally one of the elders chose to take that approach with me, and I was able to shoot back at him, without missing a beat: "Yeah, and this is coming from the Brother? who makes his living selling life insurance. Do you know what a hypocrite is, Brother??"

Love, Jezebel Scully

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I knew a kid who had a dream of becoming a lawyer for the borg. He came from a very wealthy and educated family. The other day, I was reading an newspaper arcticle about pediphiles in the JWs or something, and there was a quote from this guy, now a big shot lawyer for the borg.

I knew a few people who owned very well-off businesses and a few other professionals, but I knew many, many more who made a choice NOT to go on to school and went into window washing or house cleaning for a living.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

Speaking of hypocracy. What is with JWdoms lawyer stable. In the new order there will be no need for lawyers so why are so many encouraged (if their parents happen to be well off) to be WT lawyers? I also notice a crabs in a bucket complexe. The more uneducated the hall the more demonized college is. Seems like they would encourage people to spend a few years in college so they could work part time for the same pay so they could work in feild service.

• Atilla
    Atilla

My dad is a teacher if that counts, but became one of course before my mom turned him into a good little dub. My dad still is a teacher and about to retire but the sad thing, at least in my mind, is that he missed out on all the cool teaching stuff, like coaching, striking, and hell even the flag salute. My dad was going to go on and get his doctorate but he had already become a dub by then.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit