Anyone know of a Doctor, Lawyer or other "Professional" who is JW?

by wordlywife 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Room 215
    Room 215

There are -- or were -- a couple JW doctors and one dentist here in New Jersey when I was going to meetings, and I see that some clown drives around here in a BMW with a NJ license plate that reads ``YHWH MD" ....

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

I bet you everyone thinks he is Jewish, and wonders why he is driving around on fridays after sunset.

• TD
    TD

One of my best friends is Witness veternarian. Why he stays, I don't know as he thinks much of what they print is insane

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

The few professional witnesses I have known have tended to have been educated before conversion...

They tended to be in the larger population areas...West Palm FL has quite a few 'upscale' Jw's , Memphis had its share...small town congos tend to be working class dogs.

I have know a few nurses, engineers , high end technical folks ... I knew a couple of kids in Memphis who went to Memphis State (ones a dentist now I think) who went on their dead dads social security payments. A few kids I knew played the "my dads not in the truth and he MAKES me go to college card" back in the 70's.

I wish my Dad hated me that much while he was an elder.

----------Hill (over came a lack of schoolin' class)

• M.J.
    M.J.

Steven Hassan's Releasing the Bonds touches on this. Here's a paraphrase of what it says:

It is precisely the belief in our own invulnerability that allows cults to entrap unsuspecting recruits. There are 3 main reasons why intelligent, educated people with stable backgrounds can be drawn into cults:

1. Lack of awareness about cults and mind control
    2. Situational vulnerabilities at a time when some recruiter comes along offering community, love, and meaning.
    3. Psychological profile?people who have difficulty thinking critically
    • People who think in terms of magical or predetermined events
    • People-pleasers, who seek the approval of their peer group out of insecurity, or anyone with low self-esteem
    • Individuals with good concentration and vivid imaginations are more susceptible to hypnotic suggestion
    • People who engage excessively in "altered state of consciousness" coming from diversions
  • People with learning disorders, drug & alcohol problems, unresolved sexual issues, pre-existing phobias, unresolved traumatic issues
  • stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I do not normally give out information such as this because it could reveal my identity - but I have got to the stage where I am not that bothered anymore - but I am. I have three degrees - one of them a post grad advanced degree from an Ivy League University - PM me if you want further info

• SadElder
    SadElder

Though reared in the 'truth', we did not hold to the education is the great "satanic evil" doctrine in our family. Both my wife and I attended major universities and hold professional degrees. Because we are still known we don't want to reveal a great deal about our personal lives. Suffice it to say that

We encouraged all three of our children to be the best at whatever they chose to become. My boys are both physicians as well, and have taken over my practice, allowing us time to pursue other venues that are far more profitable in a monetary sense. Our daughter, now married, is a fine (we think) attorney in private practice along with her husband.

BTW the latest from the ?House? (Brooklyn Bethel) is that they are now sending at least two Bethelites to Dental school due to a severe lack of assistance (AKA free care) in that field. They have in the past sent two perhaps more to Law school. Two just recently passed the Bar. So much for the evils of higher learning.

• gypsywildone
    gypsywildone

I was only there from ages 13-15.5, but I knew of 2 chiropractors. One got his secretary pregnant afteer bringing her into the lie, so they both got dfed, he was reinstated, but not an elder anymore, & I don't know what happened to her. I only know so many details because it was a friend's brother. I know for a long while at least, her husband raised the kid & the chiropractor's kid never knew anything about it until he was grown. They all just switched congregations. What a wierd scene!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

BTW the latest from the ?House? (Brooklyn Bethel) is that they are now sending at least two Bethelites to Dental school due to a severe lack of assistance (AKA free care) in that field. They have in the past sent two perhaps more to Law school. Two just recently passed the Bar. So much for the evils of higher learning.

VERY INTERESTING - How long before they start sending them to Med School I wonder?

• heianderen
    heianderen

Yes, I know several professionals in the JW comunity, and some of them got their educational level while being JW. I good friend (or ex-friend) of mine, a woman, has a lawyer degree. I know also a Doctor (but he was already a Doctor before converting to Jwism) There is also a very famous man in the JW comunity who is a lawyer, Ricote and serves to WT in legal matters. I know his daughter that is also studying to became one. I know another one that works at Bethel that is an engineer, and got the degree while being JW.

In my congregation there was an extremely inteligent man, that left the "truth" and became an scholar in Arabic, biblical hewrew, acadic, etc.. and then rejoined the "truth", now is living in USA working as a college profesor. He has a rather excentrical personality and while he was in Spain had a very limited social contact with others, he was always studying.

Education, I think, more than intelligence, is something that make a difference in opening the eyes to the truth about the "truth". I know several very or extremelly intelligent people (including my mother, sister and brother) that are very loyal to the WT. My family members, even being more open-minded, non fanatical (they treat me as well as always), are loyal to WT, to my sisters is the very foundation of their lifes. I don't understand why my sister being such a gifted individual, with an outstanding cultural level (he self-taught hersefl to read at an early age, and she have read the entire library of her school and high shool, now only read WT literatura and Newsweek) is ultra-commited to JW, she is very inteligent but also has a very low self-steem (I think this has something to do with her attachtment to JW). . My brother is also very intelligent, inclined to logical thinking (but not in order to analyze JW), but is pasive, and my mother was a decepcionated Catholic, an JW offered her an aparent "intelectual" religion...

Me... I'm thinking to go to college. To study physics. But only as a personal pursuit, not to work as one. Most of my "culture" or "knowledge" comes from my faith crisis and the consecuent investigacion of science, philosophy, etc...

_heianderen_

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit