Anyone know of a Doctor, Lawyer or other "Professional" who is JW?

by wordlywife 35 Replies latest jw friends

• wordlywife
    wordlywife

I was just wondering. Since college was (still is?) discouraged, have any of you known persons of higher education to be in the organization, either by completing it while in or became JW afterwards? So many of you are so well versed, perhaps it was from all the "studying" you did, and then the studying you did after you started having doubt? I just can't see a doctor or lawyer becoming a JW. Too much "education" for the JW Org to handle? I see many references to "dumbing down", etc. in posts. Rug Doctor and cleaning jobs seem to be the best thing going for the R & F. What about the Higher ups? I know of an accountant Elder, that's about it........hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..

• doogie
    doogie

i knew plenty of professional people while i was in. the headquarters even has it's own licensed doctor's office and staff of lawyers. college is definitely frowned upon, but it's not forbidden.

also, as far as doctors or lawyers becoming JWs, it happens. my dad had a great job at a university and then he got into the religion. from where i'm sitting now, i'd like to think that educated or very intelligent people could see through the JW doctrines, but it's just not true. everyone and anyone is susceptible to mind-control techniques regardless of intelligence. there are some extremely smart JWs that will never, ever leave the organization.

the 'dumbing down' definitely permeates the mags but i think that's a way to control the intelligent minds, not to better communicate with the dumb ones, you know?

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

I know 3 JW lawyers, 1 doctor, 3 electronics professors, and 2 cpa. College was only strongly discouraged for things the watchtower did not need (such as anthropologist, biologist, physicist). They have always had request for "skilled volunteers". The system has always been biased to those whom were well off enough to totally pay their kids way though college so their kids could pioneer and be students.

Considering JWism is a religion there is no real relation between education and members, except socio-economically. Educated people live higher on the waterline, are less insecure about their futures, and live in less depressing conditions. Like my dad always says "When man turns the earth into a paradise they put 18 holes, and a fence around it". You can almost say they have less of a chance of living miserable lives with uncertain dead end jobs.

The "dumbing down" and obscuration was a way to make the religion palatable to educated people. By only being clear on the pros and vaguely or not stating the cons you can fly under the radar. They use the same technique as advertising. Actually the mags are only advertising for JWism nothing more.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

In my life, I have lived in 10 congregations - probably around 1000 JWs were in my local cong. As well, I have probably met another 2000 or so, who were not in my cong. Of that number, I was in the same congregation as one engineer. In a neighboring congregation, there was a university professor (Administration, from Nigeria).

That's it. No doctors, no lawyers, no teachers, a couple of accountants. I have heard that there are Witness doctors and lawyers, but they are as scarce as hen's teeth.

It makes sense, though. Education kills religion (at least kooky ones, like this one). As well, the JW religion appeals particularly to people who are in desperate circumstances.

• jaredg
    jaredg

whew you gotta be kidding me....ok let me see if i can get this right....i know 7 JW engineers, 1 dr (doctorate in meteorology and a proffessor at colorado univ.), 1 CPA, 1 computer scientist, 3 lawyers, 1 head nurse, 1 dentist, hmmmmm that's all i can remember right off the top of my head. i'm sure i'll think of more. it must have to do with the fact that i live in a very techology driven area with 3 high profile colleges within 20 miles of eachother. it was nothing to pull into my congo parking lot and see a few mercedes, BMWs, jags, new jeeps, and landrover and serveral other nice cars. i finally felt like i fit in when i got my M3

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

If you believe a BMW is "The ultimate driven machine" you can believe the Faithful Discrete Slave gives "meat in due season". What most people don't realize is JWism is all about advertising nothing more. Remember "Adevertise, Adevertise,Adevertise, the king and his kingdom" the slogan of the founder rutherford. Many people fell hollowness in the faith because they stop believing the ads and the product is intangible.

• doogie
    doogie
    Adevertise, Adevertise,Adevertise

i will excuse that typo.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

Lol too much copy, paste, and not enough proof reading.

• jaredg
    jaredg
    If you believe a BMW is "The ultimate driven machine" you can believe the Faithful Discrete Slave gives "meat in due season"

i won't say it's the ulitmate driving machine but i have definately established brand loyalty. i love my car and to me it is the best compromise of a sport and luxory. it's fun to dive, great on the track and sexy as hell. if i had to vote for the ultimate driving machine i'd vote for a ferrari enzo or koensigg, but it's all relative isn't it?

• brutusmaximus
    brutusmaximus

I know of a professor of Physics at a Uni, 3 teachers, 2 accountants and a millionaire who made serious dosh on property. No doctors here though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit