Do you let spiders live in your home?

by Elsewhere 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Sweetp0985
    Sweetp0985

I have a personal little contract with all bugs EXCEPT roaches.

Don't get on me and I'll leave you alone. So as long as they stay in their lil personal space I won't bother them. But if they get on me. SPLAT!!!!!

I guess it isn't really binding tho' because they can't sign it....

I've also had this weird phobia that if I kill a bug EXCEPT for roaches that all bugs like bees have this little bug smell they emit when squashed and then all their lil buggy family will come and attack me. I know bees only do this when the hive is attacked or something but in my mind all bugs have this so I try my best not to kill them...

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Yes I let them live about 95% of the time,,I don't let black widows live in my house but I let spiders have there webs for a while,,but only in certain places,,One thing I noticed is that when I lived in San Jose we had very aggressive daddy long legs,,I remember one time acidentally looking at one just while it was snatching a bug boy was it quick. I left room to let that spider enjoy his meal in peace. He had a nice little place in an hard to reach cornner and I didn't bother him,,we had black widows in our house when we first move in and one time before we moved I killed those I think they came from some pine tress that grow alone the side of the house. In San Diego we had little snapping lizard sometime scramble in the house, their tail pops right off when you grab it and they snap pretty hard for such a little thing makes you careful how you hold them.

• Mac
    Mac

I just love spiders and snakes! (Take that Jim Stafford!!)

When I was but a wee lad we used to catch banana spiders. (K...they weren't really banana spiders but we called them that cuz it made us feal fearless...you know the ones I mean...huge black things with legspans to make Celeste Holme envious and cool yellow markings on their backs)

We would dig these circular trenches which would serve as our racetrack...paint a number on the spiders back and place bets on them as if they were horses (nudging them in the butt was perfectly acceptable and not considered cheating as they were far too small for a jockey and bribing them to perform was a tedious negotiation at best..."flies, I don't care for flies..too dry..can ya get me a plump young cricket...old ones are too chewey..you know the story)

I always fancied myself a bit of a spider whisperer and attribute that to the many winning races I have under my belt...I used to let them wander over my face and was never harmed by a one of them. (Kinda feel bad about the effects of the lead paint on their backs now but, what the hell did I know...I was a kid!)

Hmmmmmm..think I got sidetracked here...spiders in the house right? Yeah, I let them alone as long as they don't drop in front of my face on a silken thread while watching Arachniphobia on the Sci Fi channel...then I, in my startled state have been known to let the inner artist take over...creating liquid swirling hues of yellow and green and a dash of red to prove my point!

mac

*stepped on a five foot long water snake today while weedwacking the pond class (he was scared...me, I'm fearless)

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

I remember years ago, I had a spider & her web above my washing machine in the basement. I talked to her everyday, calling her "Charlotte" as in the book "Charlotte's Web"

One morning I found her web gone. My JW husband had murdered her.

• Oh Jebus, Save Me From Your Followers!
    Oh Jebus, Save Me From Your Followers!

Hell no I don't "let" spiders live in my house! I too along with a few other dont seem to mind the small tiny spiders that you can easliy smash with your bare hand....but alas where I live in TX definately lives up to that "TX Sized" theory. I never really had a problem w/ spiders until living where I do now. I live on 22 acres w/ plenty of insects, arachids, and other wildlife. But the 1st time I could actually HEAR a spider before seeing it...oh yeah, that was my personal arachnophobic beginning. If a spider is big enough to be heard climbing up a wall over the T.V.....time to die Spidey. The worst part is knowing I have to grab a large shoe or boot cuz you know damn well you aint gonna smash something with your bare hand if its bigger than the hand doing the smashing. I remember having my stepdad go after one on the wall and it jumping off the wall directly towards me! Then there was the time I was picking up laundry on the stairs to bring up with me...about 2 steps up I felt the very long legs of a spider crawling up my arm and I toatlly freaked because I could tell how big it was by its gait! So an answer to your question...hell no they cant live in my house!!! They have 22 damn acres to choose from let them find their own house! Its bad enough knowing I have all these wolf, tarantula, banana, widows, recluses, and whatever the hell smaller ones living around me are called. They come within my sight..I call em dead.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

and wouldnt a bite be treatable anyway? That seems as though someone had a bite and then didn't get any help~~Sirona

Sirona

The bite of the brown recluse spider can result in a painful, deep wound that takes a long time to heal. Fatalities are extremely rare, but bites are most dangerous to young children, the elderly, and those in poor physical condition. When there is a severe reaction to the bite, the site can erupt into a "volcano lesion" (a hole in the flesh due to damaged, gangrenous tissue). The open wound may range from the size of an adult's thumbnail to the span of a hand. The dead tissue gradually sloughs away, exposing underlying tissues. The sunken, ulcerating sore may heal slowly up to 6 to 8 weeks. Full recovery may take several months and scarring may remain.
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2061.html

Because the bite may go unnoticed doctors have no idea what they are treating and antiboitics do not stop the venom from eating away at skin, tissue and muscle at times. I knew a man in Louisiana who almost lost his entire calf to that spiders bite.

Another bite for the Brown Recluse: ( did not want to post it and gross people out)

http://dermatlas.med.jhmi.edu/derm/IndexDisplay.cfm?ImageID=881294333

Mac

Your story is great, tell me some more!! LOL I loved it.

Cassi

• bebu
    bebu

The first year we lived here, we were finding wolf spiders almost every day. They freaked everyone out, they were so large. Pest control was over $200. :(

So instead, I used 4 cans of spider bomb spray--2 in the basement, one in each side of our attic. No more spiders for 5 years! No more silverfish, either (they had been a problem as well).

I don't mind spiders... if they are OUTSIDE, far away from our home. Heck, they themselves kill the bugs that go into their territory...

bebu

• TonyT
    TonyT

I am unbiased when I kill spiders in my house. I kill benign wolf spiders along with the 3 hobo spiders that I've killed this year. The reaction to a hobo spider bite can be similer to that of a brown recluse.

• Lehaa
    Lehaa

Yep, I have one that lives in the corner of my lounge window. Was going to get rid of him untill he caught a big blow fly that had been annoying me for days. He's now a permanant resident. My 6 year old loves to stand and watch him kill and roll up his prey in his web. It's fascinating.

Lehaa

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Spiders are safe from me around my house because there are not to many of them and they don't bother anyone, but they love my garage and shit all over my cars and spiddie shit is rather hard to get off.

We have some nasty little Ozzie imports here now, white tail spiders. I find them in my house now and again, they eat other spiders, so there aren't as many native spiders around as there used to be, but they don't make webs, so that is a bonus. Their bites usually turn septic and most people (including doctors) don't know how to deal with them, but I have a weed growing in my lawn that usually sorts that out pretty quick.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit