Do you let spiders live in your home?

by Elsewhere 53 Replies latest jw friends

• dorothy
    dorothy

I've got centipedes too! They scare the shit out of me.

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

I like spiders, and have no problems with them being in the house. My wife and daughter on the other hand hate them with a passion, and have VERY extreme reactions to them.

It's a bit of a pain when your miles away from home, with your wife in hysterics because she's just spotted a spider over the doorway so she's trapped in the room!!! She has even been known to call the local pizza delivery service to ask them to remove spiders (before we got together..)

I don't understand this fear / loathing of them... neither does my wife or little one for that matter, and they know it's completely irrational!!!

Humans, eh!!!!

• kls
    kls

Do i let them in? you mean do i open the door and say , come on in you eight legged creepy things, with your hairy bodies and spin a web. YUCK, NO. We have an understanding ( the spiders and me ) you stay outa my house and i won't splatter ya.

• gumby
    gumby
    but I don't get rid of them hoping that they will keep the other bugs out.

What Elsewhere is failing to tell you is that, he's afraid if he kills somethin like a bug or spider......bad Karma will come his way. Scaredy Cat!

Gumbugs

• Sirona
    Sirona

Bull: Try this phobia cure on them:

Show them a picture of a spider every day. When they get used to that, have them touch the picture every day. When they can touch the picture, have them look at a spider from a distance (if there is one there, get them to actually look at it for a few seconds before you remove it). Then increase the time they look at it and decrease the distance between them and the spider. Over time they'll learn to stand having one in the room. Even if they never touch a spider they'll be able to bear it.

Of course this is dependent upon them wanting to overcome the fear. Your wife likely developed her phobia in childhood then passed it on to your daughter (a baby seeing her mother freaking out at a spider teaches the baby to be scared of it too)

Sirona

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

Thanks for the tip Sirona...

I think thats the crunch - she doesn't want to get over it... she won't look at pictures, films, live ones, dead ones... even a skin from a tarantula gets her running!!

Guess the 'Spider Removal' service is pennance for my sins!!

I refuse to kill them though... which can lead to some funny antics trying to catch the fast little buggers!!!!

Bull!

• freedom96
    freedom96

I want no bugs, or spiders in my house.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    My daughter lives in a basement apartment plagued by centipedes and spiders.

I told her, leave them alone. They are predator bugs. They are here because there is plenty to eat. As long as they are here, there are fewer of the other bugs.

My daughter's reaction?

Ewwwww!

Stomp

Stomp

LMAO! Too funny!

It's not so much about carma as I don't like to kill something without a good reason... I'm that odd guy who removes earth worms from sidewalks and tosses them in the grass so the sun won't kill them.

Odd considering I LOVE to slow cook slabs of meat in a smoker. Mmmmm

• gumby
    gumby
    I don't like to kill something without a good reason... I'm that odd guy who removes earth worms from sidewalks and tosses them in the grass so the sun won't kill them.

Actually....I'm the same way.

Gumby

• simplesally
    simplesally

I kill them. Dead.

Snails..........pour salt on them, now my daughter loves to do this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit