Does anybody here wear bi-focals?

by Robdar 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Robdar
    Robdar

I think that I may need them. I can't see print well enough to read with my glasses on and when I take them off, I have a hard time bringing what I am reading into focus. I have to move the newspaper back and forth. I am having a very hard time reading the forum too. I look pretty silly moving my head towards and away from my computer screen. I can't even read the display on my cell phone without taking off my glasses. This totally sucks! So, what do you think? Am I ready for bi-focals?

Do bi-focals help very much? Are they difficult to get used to? Are they very expensive?

Robyn

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Yes, you need bifocals. It does take a little time to get used to them but they're a Godsend when you do. The best thing to do is wear them grimly through thick and thin for about a week and then you'll be fine. I have a second pair of just reading glasses that I use when doing computer work, so I don't get a crick in my neck.

Look for coupons in your local paper -- that can save you a bundle!

Nina (of the Four Eyes class)

• Robdar
    Robdar

Nina, thanks for your response but it isnt the response I wanted! You were supposed to tell me that I am too young for bi-focals.

*stamps foot*

Thanks for the suggestion of looking for a coupon, I hadn't thought about that!

Do you think that a generic pair of reading glasses from the drug store would be a good idea to bide me over to my insurance kicks in? Have you ever tried those?

Robyn

• Mulan
    Mulan

I've had bifocals since I was about 21. It took me at least 5 minutes to get used to them. Now I can't imagine not having them. I have the no line kind, and they work.

I get new ones about every two years. I go to Sears, coupons available pretty often...............Reader's Digest, and the Sunday paper.....................about $150, including frames.

• kls
    kls

I also have to wear them for reading. Yes you can get them from a drug store but i would only use them till you can go to the eye doc.

It really sucks.and welcome to the club.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

sigh I wear them too

The only way to really know if you need them is to get an eye exam and it does sound like you need an eye exam.

My first pair took me about half a day to get used to. My second pair took about 5 minutes.

I do feel very motion sick when I first get a new pair but that usually lasts for 5 minutes.

Oh and mine are actually trifocals - need the close up - need the distance and a third prescription for all those inbetweens

Get progressives (no lines).

I also have the magnetic clip on sunglasses - got them as the second pair in my two for one deal

• bem
    bem

Ditto Mulan, and her response 'cept I have only had mine about 5 years. The no line work for me,theres a gradual change in the lens to the extra strength part that I read through. I keep a pair of reading glasses from the drug store at work to use if I forget mine since I don't wear them all the time. They work well, but not for constant wear because they have a strong lens all over. mine were $140.00 frames and all ,nothing extra like tint etc.

they really do help a lot,

bem, whos arms are only so long.can't hold things out far enough to read them.

• Robdar
    Robdar

I go to Sears, coupons available pretty often...............Reader's Digest, and the Sunday paper.....................about $150, including frames.

Mulan,

Really??? I had no idea that they would be so reasonably priced. And for no lines at that. I hate the lines and think that they would be distracting.

It really sucks.and welcome to the club.

KLS, gee, thanks for the welcome to the getting older club. I suppose it isn't that bad though. Looks like I'll have good company. Besides, it beats the alternative, right?

Hmm, I wonder if me needing bi-focals is why I've been having such dreadful headaches lately. I will go to the drug store tomorrow and check out the generic lenses. It might help.

Robyn

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I had an optomitrist tell me that literally every single person needed bifocals by age 41 that it was a proven fact. Well at 41 I did not need bifocals. I got them at 43, but took them off to read and other close work even though I use them for other things. To this day, and I'll be 48 in October, I really prefer to read without my glasses and don't need to move my head back and forth. My partner is 7 years younger than I am and needs them (although you won't get her to admit it), and in fact she's been doing the moving the head back and forth thing for the last two years.

My point, you shouldn't feel bad about this like its an "age" thing. It happens to everyone sooner or later. My glasses are the no line kind too, they take slightly longer to get used to but they're worth it in terms of vanity. They also have bifocal contacts now if you really want to fool the age-o-meter.

Sherry

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I have always been a little leery of those over-the-counter glasses. I have worked with people blind from birth and those who have lost their sight so I know my yeysight is too precious to fool around with.

I also know a few people who use the non-prescription eyeglasses and seem to like them

So I went off to do a bit of research and was surprised at the result

SHOULD YOU WEAR OVER THE COUNTER READING GLASSES

Over-the-counter reading glasses are inexpensive eyeglasses that can be purchased in variety, drug, and discount stores without a prescription. They can be used instead of prescription reading glasses, but they are not an ideal substitute, which you will discover as soon as you try them. Still, they may work for you. If so, they can come in handy if you like to have several pairs of reading glasses lying around in different places or if you tend to misplace your reading glasses.

How Do Ready-Made Glasses Differ from Prescription Reading Glasses?

Non-prescription lenses for reading are simply magnifying glasses mounted in frames. They are not usually up to the quality of those ground in a prescription laboratory, and the optical centers of the lenses are not likely to be in the precise position that gives you the best and most comfortable reading vision. The frames are likely to be "one size fits all."

Prescription glasses, on the other hand, are custom ground to your exact vision needs. The position of your eyes as you read or work is measured by a skilled optical dispenser. The frames are adjusted to fit your face, taking into account the width of your face, size of your nose, and distance between your eyes. Attention to all these factors can make a huge difference in reading comfort.

Can Non-Prescription Glasses Hurt Your Eyes?

No. Even if they are not particularly comfortable to wear, they cannot ever damage or ruin your eyes. So there's certainly no harm in trying them.

Can Everyone Wear Them?

Not everyone. The ideal candidate for over-the-counter reading glasses has good distance vision in both eyes without glasses, little or no astigmatism, and symmetrical face and eyes. But even if you can't use them for all your reading and close work, the glasses might be useful for short tasks like reading menus and phone books. Be aware, too, that if you wear bifocals or multifocals (which combine a distance correction with a reading correction), reading glasses are only a partial substitute. With them, you have to switch to your other glasses whenever you want to see clearly across the room.

How Can You Tell Which Pair To Buy?

As you look over the assortment, begin by looking at the optical powers. Start with the weakest power lenses and try to read with them. If the print is blurry at your normal reading distance, move on to the next stronger one. The best one for you is the lowest power that can suit your needs. (Most people make the mistake of starting with the strongest powers.

The truth is, the higher the power, the closer you will have to hold your reading material, and the shallower your range of clear reading vision.) Once you've settled on the power, you can shift your attention to selecting a frame style you like. Don't neglect trying the half-frame style, which is a very useful form that solves the looking-across-the-room problem.

Do You Need an Eye Exam Before Buying Them?

Not necessarily. But since you are in the age group that needs reading glasses, you should have a complete eye examination every year or so, to check for non-symptomatic sight-threatening conditions such as glaucoma. You should not postpone or forego regular eye examinations simply because you can comfortably use over-the-counter reading glasses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit