Does anybody here wear bi-focals?

by Robdar 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

and another article

Eyeglasses, Sunglasses, and Magnifying Glasses

It is common for pharmacies today to carry nonprescription eyeglasses, sunglasses, and magnifiers. We hope this review will assist consumers with valuable information about these eye products.

Nonprescription eyeglasses

Nonprescription eyeglasses are primarily for persons who can no longer read fine print. Although over-the-counter (OTC) glasses do not appear to harm vision, if they are not appropriate for a person's eyes, they can cause eyestrain after prolonged use.

Most pharmacies offer standard and bifocal lenses, and some vendors also offer transitional lenses that lighten up indoors and darken when outdoors.

The quality and durability of OTC eyeglasses varies widely. Cheap models -- costing as little as a few dollars -- may have lenses that scratch easily and distort vision. Expensive models--costing $50 or more--may incorporate some or all of the desirable characteristics of high-quality prescription lenses.

Manufacturers rate the power of nonprescription glasses from weakest (1.0) to strongest (3.5). When making a selection, the customer tries on eyeglasses and reads fine print while standing 12 to 14 inches from the print. The customer keeps trying on glasses with different power ratings until the print comes into sharp focus. Suppose, for example, the print comes into focus when the customer is wearing eyeglasses with a power rating of 2.0. The customer then knows that a 2.0 rating is correct and can select from styles with that rating.

In some cases, customers may also be asked for the "pupillary" distance. This is actually the interpupillary distance, the distance between the pupils (the openings) of the eyes. This distance is usually measured in centimeters.

We do not recommend nonprescription glasses as a permanent solution to significant eye problems because they usually are not as accurate as prescription lenses. In addition, the use of OTC glasses could lead to the postponement of an eye examination that could reveal a serious underlying problem. However, OTC glasses are okay to keep as "backups" for times when prescription glasses have been misplaced or are being repaired.

http://www.medicinenet.com/eyeglasses_sunglasses_and_magnifiers/article.htm

• Robdar
    Robdar
    My first pair took me about half a day to get used to. My second pair took about 5 minutes.

I do feel very motion sick when I first get a new pair but that usually lasts for 5 minutes.

Lee, it's good to hear that it doesn't take that long to get used to them. I've heard people complain that it's taken them weeks. Thank you for the information regarding the generic reading glasses. It seems like a quick, cheap fix until I get in better shape health insurance wise.

bem, whos arms are only so long.can't hold things out far enough to read them.

LOL Bem. You must be sweet and petite.

My point, you shouldn't feel bad about this like its an "age" thing. It happens to everyone sooner or later. My glasses are the no line kind too, they take slightly longer to get used to but they're worth it in terms of vanity. They also have bifocal contacts now if you really want to fool the age-o-meter.

Yah, Sherry, I guess that it does happen soon or later. I was just hoping for later. lol. Bifocal contacts? You betcha that I want to fool the "age-o-meter! As soon as I can afford them, I will be getting some of those!

• Shakita
    Shakita

Hi Robdar,

I don't wear bifocals, but I do wear "progressive lenses." Shouldn't it be regressive? It is actually a trifocal lens. I still have to remove them to read up close. I can see better up close with them off. It took me a while to get used to them, but I am doing better with them now.

There is a new procedure that has been developed to correct up close vision problems. A surgeon implants a device in the eye that looks like a clear cornea with clasps on either end. This takes the place of our weakened eye muscles. As we age, the eye muscles weaken, making it difficult to focus up close. One elderly lady that had this done was amazed at the results. She no longer needs any reading glasses to read up close. One problem though: The procedure is very costly. I believe it was about five thousand dollars per eye. Unless you got the dough, maybe it's better to be half blind.

Mr. Shakita

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

I

can't see print well enough to read with my glasses on and when I take them off, I have a hard time bringing what I am reading into focus

Hate to jump on here, but you do need bifocals. I knew this fellow years ago who refused to go have his eyes checked but his job required him to read (blue) prints which he couldn't read up close. So, he would drop them (the prints) on the floor and he could read them just fine. Hope you don't need to resort to that. Bug

• Robdar
    Robdar
    It is actually a trifocal lens. I still have to remove them to read up close. I can see better up close with them off. It took me a while to get used to them, but I am doing better with them now.

Ugh! Trifocals! But you still need to remove them to read up close? As far as the surgery goes to have my eye muscles strengthened, I shutter at the thought, not to mention the cost. Still, it's an option that maybe one day I can afford. Hopefully I wont be too much of a coward to go under the knife and have it fixed.

Shutterbug, I am pleased that fellow found away around his dilemma. I hate to think what could have happened if he couldn't read the blue prints correctly!

Robyn

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug
    I hate to think what could have happened if he couldn't read the blue prints correctly!

That is something that hadn't occured to me. His craft involved electrical wiring, so your point is well taken. Someone should have insisted he get Rx glasses.

I also have trifocals. These came about when I was working in a warehouse with bins which had typewritten tags hanging from them that I was compelled to read, assuming I wanted to keep the job. Tags at eye level or a little lower were a cinch, but those at the bottom were the pits trying to read thru bifocals. In fact I had to get down on my knees and cock my head back to get the print in focus. Some unkind person told me I looked like a fat muslim saying daily prayers. The trifocals solved the problem. Bug

• Robdar
    Robdar
    Some unkind person told me I looked like a fat muslim saying daily prayers. The trifocals solved the problem. Bug

I've met you and in no way could I ever describe you that way. That person was just being a wanker.

(((((Bug)))))

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Thanks Robyn, that was kind of you.

Sure wish I could find a pair of glasses that would help me spell correctly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit