How does the WT explain "The Truth will Set You Free???"

by Confucious 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Confucious
    Confucious

=

Now that I'm REALLY free with Truth.

I was wondering how the WT explains this scripture, since their members are in Bondage.

I was told by the lady that studied with me that JW are free from superstitions, etc.

Your opinion???

Con

• Golf
    Golf

Yeah, like the 'land of the free,' don't pay your taxes and find out how free you are.

Guest 77

• RR
    RR

*** km 3/03 p. 8 How the Truth Sets Us Free ***

How

the Truth Sets Us Free

On a certain occasion, Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him: "You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." (John 8:32) He was speaking of a freedom that surpasses mere civil liberties, a freedom that is available to all?rich or poor, educated or uneducated. Jesus taught truth that would bring freedom from bondage to sin and death. As Jesus explained, "every doer of sin is a slave of sin." (John 8:34) How we do long for the time when all obedient humans "will be set free from enslavement to corruption and have the glorious freedom of the children of God"!?Rom. 8:21.

The truth regarding Jesus and his role in the outworking of God?s purpose brings such freedom. It includes knowledge about the ransom sacrifice that he gave in our behalf. (Rom. 3:24) Even now, accepting and obediently submitting to Bible truth enables us to enjoy a measure of freedom from fear, despair, and all sorts of harmful practices.

wt chap. 5 pp. 43-44 Freedom Enjoyed by Worshipers of Jehovah ***

In view of the bad conditions that exist everywhere today, it is no surprise that people long for greater freedom. But where can real freedom be found? Jesus said: "If you remain in my word, you are really my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." (John 8:31, 32) This freedom is not the kind that men hope for when they reject one ruler or one form of government in favor of another. Instead, this freedom gets right to the core of human problems. What Jesus was discussing was freedom from bondage to sin. (John 8:24, 34-36) Thus, if a person becomes a true disciple of Jesus Christ, he experiences a notable change in his life, a liberation!

g02 6/22 p. 8 When Slavery Will End! ***

What about enslavement to lies and deception? Jesus Christ assures us that freedom from such is possible. "If you remain in my word," he said, "you are really my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." (John 8:31, 32) At the time he spoke, many of his listeners were enslaved to a rigid code of Pharisaic tradition. In fact, Jesus said of the religious leaders of his day: "They bind up heavy loads and put them upon the shoulders of men, but they themselves are not willing to budge them with their finger." (Matthew 23:4) Jesus? teachings freed people from such bondage. He exposed religious lies for what they were, even identifying their source. (John 8:44) And he replaced the lies with the truth, revealing clearly God?s reasonable requirements for mankind.?Matthew 11:28-30.

Like Jesus? disciples, thousands of people today are finding that with God?s help they can break free from the religious lies and false traditions that have enslaved them. After learning the refreshing truths of the Bible, they find themselves free from oppressive fear of the dead, free from terror of eternal torment in a fiery hell, and free from pressure to pay hard-earned money for religious services performed by clerics who claim to represent Christ?the one who said: "You received free, give free." (Matthew 10:8) Moreover, an even greater freedom is near at hand.

w98 10/1 pp. 3-4 "The Truth Will Set You Free" ***

"The

Truth Will Set You Free"

"You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." So declared Jesus as he was teaching the multitudes in the temple in Jerusalem. (John 8:32) Jesus? apostles could readily identify Jesus? teachings as the truth. They had seen abundant evidence of their teacher?s divine origin.

TODAY, however, some may find it difficult to identify the truth Jesus spoke about. As in the days of the prophet Isaiah, today there are "those who are saying that good is bad and bad is good, those who are putting darkness for light and light for darkness, those who are putting bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter." (Isaiah 5:20) With numerous opinions, philosophies, and life-styles being promoted nowadays, many people feel that everything is relative and that there is no such thing as truth.

When Jesus said to his audience that the truth would set them free, they responded by saying: "We are Abraham?s offspring and never have we been slaves to anybody. How is it you say, ?You will become free??" (John 8:33) They did not feel a need for anyone or anything to set them free. But then Jesus explained: "Most truly I say to you, Every doer of sin is a slave of sin." (John 8:34) The truth that Jesus was talking about can open the way to freedom from sin. Jesus said: "If the Son sets you free, you will be actually free." (John 8:36) So the truth that frees people is truth about Jesus Christ, the Son of God. It is only by faith in the sacrifice of Jesus? perfect human life that anyone can be freed from sin and death.

On another occasion Jesus said: "Sanctify them by means of the truth; your word is truth." (John 17:17) The word of God as expressed in the Bible is the truth that can bring freedom from superstition and false worship. The Bible contains the truth about Jesus Christ, which leads people to put faith in him and opens the way to a bright hope for the future. It is a splendid thing to come to know the truth of God?s Word!

How vital is it to know the truth? Many religions today, while claiming to follow the Bible, are largely influenced by human philosophies and traditions. Often, religious leaders seem not as concerned with the accuracy of their message as they are with its acceptance by the masses. Some feel that God is satisfied with any form of worship, as long as it is sincere. But Jesus Christ explained: "The hour is coming, and it is now, when the true worshipers will worship the Father with spirit and truth, for, indeed, the Father is looking for suchlike ones to worship him."?John 4:23.

If we want to worship God acceptably, we must know the truth. This is an important issue. Our eternal happiness depends on it. Therefore, everyone should ask himself: ?Is my way of worship acceptable to God? Am I genuinely interested in learning the truth of God?s Word? Or am I afraid of what a careful investigation might reveal??

oohhhh, I feel like Blondie .... lol

• Confucious
    Confucious

Don't worry.

Feeling like Blondie ain't a bad thing...

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

That's what I was told--we were free from false relgious teachings that mislead us. Free from the ailments that are caused from living a wicked lifestyle (smoking related, drug abuse, blood born and sexual related diseases, etc.) I have to agree with the second sentence, but then again anyone who practiced a healthy life style is freer from these sorts of things. That was always the scare tactic--if you are not JW you will fall victim to any and all of these horrible things, but remain in the fold and you will be protected, but then again the WT say that Jehovah does not offer us divine protection? As far as I can tell being set free according to the WT is being set free of making your own decisions. They were to lead and we were to follow and obey, but we were made to believe that it was all for our benefit. Great sales tactic.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    oohhhh, I feel like Blondie .... lol

Best laugh of my day - thanks

• shamus
    shamus

Well, the truth is light. And the light is truth. Lights truths light. And happiness is obtained from giving all your time and effort to the sovergn lord jehover, and giving your cash.

Just take some mind altering substance then try to figure it out. It makes more sense when you're stoned.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: How does the WT explain "The Truth will Set You Free???"

They don't. It's a slogan designed to put warm fuzzies in their membership. Truth means nothing to them. They are not seekers of truth, nor are they students or beholden to truth. This is true no matter how obvious the actual truth is and when it is put right in their faces.

They are Corporate people not the least bit interested in anything or anyone but themselves. Their whole history at least for the last seventy years is proof of that. Look at what they said when their false prophesies became evident. Were they interested in truth? NO. They were interested in self-defense and diversion from the truth that they called truth.

As I said, "the truth will set you free" is just a slogan for them. They do not want freedom for their followers. They only want religious bondage and acquiescence from their followers.

Farkel

• Confucious
    Confucious

ggggggggggoooooooooooooooooooo FARKEL

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

the truth about the troof (truffa in italian)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit