Do Jws really want to have a study??

by ellderwho 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ellderwho
    ellderwho
    The fact is, we weren't out in service looking for MORE to do. We were out to be seen, to socialize, and to get some numbers on the monthly report.

My exact point! Could not have said it better!

E

• heathen
    heathen

Lucky you , it saves you the trouble of having to throw them out in mid study , much like I've been known to do . They are kinda like the mormons in that they only want to study WTBTS literature as you will notice they reference themselves more than any other source of info. They wont even take you seriously unless you agree with every word they print .

• ellderwho
    ellderwho
    Heathen.....They are kinda like the mormons in that they only want to study WTBTS literature as you will notice they reference themselves more than any other source of info.

True, though Mormons will look at "anti-Mormon" literature. I've shown Mormons errors in different BOM editions. Sometimes it hits home. But both cults are deeply rooted in "works based" salvation.

E.

• heathen
    heathen

elderwho--- The bible does encourage people to do the works of an evangelizer , jesus did say the good news of the kingdom will be preached as a witness to the 4 corners of the earth and then the end will come . I just get the impression that the WTBTS is more interested in selling publications to raise money than anything else. I can't say I'm an expert on the mormons but from what I've heard they mostly are interested in selling the book of the mormon and that is what most of their study time is dedicated too . I have actually thrown the witnesses out of the house because they only care about what the WTBTS says on everything and to contradict or challenge anything that's in print they condemn you on the spot . All I said was I didn't believe that women could be of the 144k and I might as well sprouted hooves and horns . There's a whole lot more that I didn't mention such as I don't believe women are supposed to do any public preaching work or for that matter be baptised . How far do you think I would get if I mentioned those ? I'd probly be banned . LOL I've got scriptures to support my beliefs , they aren't even interested they are so friggen blind .They are lousy friends as well .

• Soledad
    Soledad

In my old congregation it was such a huge deal to have many many studies, as many as humanly possible. One sister claimed to have 15. I didn't believe it, but then one day I accompanied her on her studies. turns out, all 15 studies were conducted in one home where 15 illegal immigrants lived. it was really only 1 study but she counted it as 15 because she left tons of books and magazines for everyone else in the household.

the remaining "bible studies" that were conducted in our congregation were really all just visits to elderly people and IA people. they would just sit with them, have coffee and cake. a great way to beat having to do door to door on frigid January mornings. my mother was a master at this. we would count a 1 hour visit as 3 hours studying, plus the driving to get there, plus the walk up the stairs...you all get my point.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Soledad: Your story is typical. They call this the "pioneer pace," and the dubs have this down to a science.

• metatron
    metatron

Answer, NO!

I personally knew of many congregations that have prisons or nursing homes or similar institutions in their territory

in which you could have as many Bible Studies as you want, just for the asking. Most Witnesses avoided them

and made excuses. Witnesses are 'tied down' enough and don't want any thing more.

metatron

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

BluesBrother,

In fact I can remember a Circuit Assembly talk once called "Do you really want a Bible Study?" It stuck in my mind because it pricked my conscience , since I knew that I did not really want one either.

I always wanted one -- desperately! And was frustrated by the fact that I almost never had one in my 23 years of jaydubbery.

It didn't help that home Bible studies were the only aspect of field service that I didn't hate. I loathed cold-calling door-to-door, and after every morning out in service it would take me another TWO WEEKS to gather up the nerve to do it again. And that meant, of course, that every attempted RV was in effect another cold call.

And since I didn't drive, I was reliant on sisters who were wedded to the loathesome door-to-door work and saved return visits till afterwards, midday, when my nerves were shot to hell and the householders were certain to be out anyway.

Wow. Just think, if I'd had a driver's license back then I might have someone else's brainwashing on my conscience. God is great! Hahahaha.

GentlyFeral

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I only had one real study that I inherited. My "victim" later moved.

I really tried to get a study by trying out the km-suggestions. But I always missed the third RV - because you cannot call a study a study if you have not conducted it three times.

I wonder if I somehow subconsciously avoided them. I think deep down in me I already knew that something was wrong about the whole thing.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista
    I only had one real study that I inherited. My "victim" later moved.

LOL victims is a good term for bible studies. Sad to say we were all victims of the WTBTS to one degree or another.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit