Do you believe the Bible is the inspired word of God?

by desib77 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• desib77
    desib77

Do you believe the Bible is the inspired word of God? Have you somehow attempted to prove this to yourself or have you just accepted it?

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I do. However, I hope I'm wrong because lately I'm not conforming very well to some of its rules and regulations.

DY

• Sweetp0985
    Sweetp0985

I'm confused. I know some of it may be, but how much has been changed by men that's what causes the confusion.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

The bible is a collection of stories. Some of the stories were written by very intelligent men. Some of them were written by men who were eating too many marijuana leaves and drinking too much wine. Some of the stories may be true, some of them may be bullshit.

Now, if you make SETI your religion, everything makes sense. Alien abduction would solve all the bible's mysteries and stupidness.

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

Hey Des!

No, I don't really think so. I might be wrong - it sure is an enduring book. I think it was written by schizophrenics....to confusing, complicated and meaningless. What are we supposed to do with it all anyway? What's the point? If it was inspired by a loving god I think it would read more like it was intended to be read by a normal human being.

I read a book called Conversations With God. I loved it and I think god communicates that way with me. Not by telling stories that seem to be literal but logically and scientifically could never have happened. (the flood, the talking snake, Jonah and the big fish, oh - and who was that guy that god told to kill his son - but then right at the last second - said "psych - just testing you!" C'mon!!! Really god!)

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good question!

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

The bible is a collection of very well written stories by a group of people who wrote many of them while in captivity to the Babylonians, and had a lot of spare time on their hands - so they went to the local Babylonian libraries and 'borrowed' from the Babylonian myths of their gods and whatnot.

Of course... these enslaved people probably needed a 'library card' to get into the Babylonian library, but it's okay - they didn't tell the lower-class slaves. They were just smarter, and didn't get 'caught'.

Regards,

Jim TX

P.S. In case you didn't gather from the above... No. I don't believe the bible is all holy, or inspired.

P.P.S. If you _do_ believe it is inspired... then answer me as to WHO decided on the set of 66 'books' that make up the bible. (Hint: Man, in about the fourth century.)

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

66 !?!?! Interesting number!

• kls
    kls

I'm with Sweetp. to many hands have rewritten it, so is it still inspired by god? I think only parts.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

While the Bible contains a lot of "suspect" material (thank whoever originally edited it ) I really do believe, as a whole, it is inspired by God for our benefit. However, I also think God wants us to use our brains (and spirits) to pick out the "treasures" from the dross. I think one of the clues in discerning scripture is - does it agree with the example that Christ set - in other words, is it uplifting and positive and something that helps a person move forward with their lives.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Ahhhhh... but there is a conundrum.

You have to believe in Christ to believe in the bible... but you have to believe in the bible to believe that there was a Christ. Unless you're Jewish.

Plus... I'm not sure I would want to 'serve' a god who has a split-personality like is described in this bible.

In the Old Testament... he goes about destroying all sorts of nations and people - including women and innocent children. A god of vengence!

In the New Testament... he is described as a 'god of love'... (hears a chorus of 'aaaaaahhhhhhhh' from the heavens).

Plus - he is _still_ chomping at the bit to destroy what he considers as 'evil'.

Nope. I don't think I want to 'serve' anyone/thing like this.

Regards,

Jim TX

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit