UN Ban On Religion

by laurelin 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• laurelin
    laurelin

Does anyone here know anything about the supposed resolution that the UN have about banning all Religion?

I've done a Google search but can't find anything and I'd be grateful for any help on this.

Thanks.

• Xander
    Xander

--duplicate--

• Xander
    Xander

Are they still circulating that rumor in JW-dom?

I've heard it, oh, once every few years since the early 90s. It stems from a fundamental misunderstanding of what exactly the UN is (other than the scarlet-colored wild beast ) combined with their intense desire to see their own prophesies fulfilled. Obviously, they have such a lack of understanding of how politics actually WORK such rumors are eagerly accepted and dissipated

Of course, what do you expect from a cult that takes pride in having nothing to do with politics - they don't even have a basic understanding of it when it DOES come up!

In short:

• No, there is no petition at the UN to ban religion.
    • No, the UN has never even considered a ban on religion - any religions, organized, cult, or whatever
    • No, the UN does NOT EVEN HAVE THE POWER granted in its charter by the member nations to do any such thing even if it WANTED to.
    • There is no 'it' in 'even if it wanted to', anyway. The UN does not speak with one voice, but 'decides' things as a vote of all the member nations. Do you really think the US, Israel, Iran, Saudi Arabia, China, UK, Russia, et al - would all want to ban religion?

I've actually had this conversation with my brother recently when I tried to bring up the WTBTS as a UN registered NGO. His response was along "Oh, that was just for access to their library, but did you hear what the UN is trying to do now?!". Classic misdirection.

The real problem is the large number of JW-ites who seem to believe the watchtower teaching that the UN is somehow an independant entity, elevated above (and manipulating) the governments of the world. They are the perfect 'boogeyman' since so few JWs bother to learn anything about the UN or its history.

An entertaining comparison viewpoint is held by most US soldiers - the UN as a worthless entity, since it's basically just a political think-tank with absolutely no power to do anthing at all.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Actually, I remember reading this some time ago (on Snopes??). Apparently some outside group or NGO has proposed this ban, which doesn't mean it would ever come up for a vote...thousands and thousands of resolutions are submitted each year. Few see sunshine, much less pass.

• Xander
    Xander

Interestingly, I could have sworn it was on Snopes, too.

No luck finding it. DID find an urban legend about the FCC trying to ban religious programming (READ: 'Urban Legend' as in 'completely fictional scare-mongering by the religious right to try and get attention to themselves'). But, nothing on the UN.

• blondie
    blondie

It was a PR sent by some group (formulism) that took down the original website; it was a hoax; the UN did not originate it any more than I would have if they had sent the PR to me. THIS IS NOT REAL. Here is one group that was taken in and checked it out with the UN and found it was a hoax.

http://www.thepowerhour.com/articles/ban_1.htm

Would Effectively Ban Religion

Alert: Listeners and Readers: The UN was contacted and they say this is a HOAX!

A draft resolution which aims to secure global peace and stability at the expense of organized religion is today being submitted to the United Nations in New York.

NEW YORK, NY (PRWEB) January 27, 2004 -- A draft resolution which aims to secure global peace and stability at the expense of organized religion is today being submitted to the United Nations in New York.

The resolution is being proposed by Antony Last, founder of http://www.formulism.org , a site which claims that freedom FROM religion would be of far greater benefit to mankind than freedom OF religion.

Freedom from Religion | Proposed UN Resolution / Charter Amendment | Version 1.1

WE THE PEOPLES OF THE UNITED NATIONS HEREBY VOW

* to save succeeding generations from the scourge of organized religion, a folly which has brought untold sorrow to mankind through the division, hatred and conflict it engenders, and

* to reaffirm an individual's right to freedom of belief, freedom of conscience and freedom of prayer, and

* to establish conditions under which these freedoms can be privately exercised.

AND FOR THESE ENDS WE UNDERTAKE

1. To outlaw, with immediate effect, the public _expression of religious beliefs, including the use of symbols, clothing or markings which are synonymous with any currently or previously existing religions.

2. To outlaw, with immediate effect, public acts of worship or religious declaration.

3. To outlaw, with immediate effect, private gatherings of three or more people for the purposes of engaging in acts of worship or religious services.

4. To outlaw, with immediate effect, the publication of books, literature or articles which seek to promote religious beliefs or encourage adherence to religious doctrine.

5. To outlaw, after a period of amnesty, the personal ownership of books or materials which seek to promote religious beliefs or encourage adherence to religious doctrine. (Books of academic or social interest will be made freely available to schools, universities and public libraries).

6. To outlaw, with immediate effect, the celebration of religiously significant dates.

7. To begin, with immediate effect, the destruction or reassignment of predominantly religious buildings, such as churches, mosques and temples.

For further information, see:

http://www.formulism.org/news.html (now unavailable the last I checked)

United Nations Contact Information

Office of the Spokesman for the Secretary-General
    United Nations, S-378
    New York, NY 10017

Press/media inquiries only
    Tel. 212-963-7162
    Fax. 212-963-7055

All other inquiries to be addressed to (212) 963-4475 or [email protected]

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

lmao... how the hell could the UN enforce such a thing???

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Because the UN has the power and authority of "THE WILD BEAST"...and because John Kerry would ask France's permission...oh, wait...they'd enforce that like they did the "sanctions" against Iraq....NEVER MIND!

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    I've heard it, oh, once every few years since the early 90s.

It goes back further than that, though, I remember hearing it as far back as the 70's.

• jgnat
    jgnat

'struth, the UN has passed resolutions to end religious discrimination. A quick google search under

"Religious Persecution Jehovah's site:un.org" got me three hits, including this one:

http://www.un.org/documents/ga/docs/51/plenary/a51-542add2.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit