Politics: Just the facts

by desib77 16 Replies latest jw friends

• desib77
    desib77

Is there anywhere I can get just the facts about current issues and where both presidential candidates stand on each?

It seems like everywhere I look there is someone or something trying to sway me one way or the other. My husband is a head strong republican while others I know are active democrats. Even the news seems to sway one way or the other.

Where can I get just the facts to make up my own mind?

Desi

• desib77
    desib77

I was afraid of this....there are no facts, are there....?

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

You can indeed find MANY facts about BOTH candidates, HOWEVER, they will be shaded by the opinion of the writer...sorry, thems is the facts.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

You are more likely to find a pleasant smell in a pile of manure than you are to find facts in politics.

• desib77
    desib77

I was afraid of that.

• Grog
    Grog

I can't really tell you where to get your facts... most organizations are going to skew you one way or the other.

Usually the canditates web site will give you where that particular canidate stands on an issue.

I'm sure if you have a particular question the readers on the boards would be happy to give some input... Just take everything with a grain of salt.

A Politics board would be cool...

Just don't get your facts from fox news.

http://www.outfoxed.org/

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

This is the hardest thing to find. Despite what any member of the press will say, their reporting is slanted one way or another.

The best thing to do, especially with Senator Kerry or Senator Edwards, is look at their voting records. If the way they vote reflects your core values and beliefs, then by all means vote for them. If they do not reflect said values and beliefs, then you need to look at other places.

Personally, I don't look at what they promise, I look at what they've done. Reading politicians is a lot like reading a racing forum. There maybe a lot of facts to digest, but one way or another your own personal biases, values or belief system is going to slant you on way or another.

LABD

• SwampThing
    SwampThing

Hi desib77,

Nice to meet you. Yes, there is somewhere you can go for the facts. I swore an oath to myself when I joined this board, and obviously just broke it, that I would stay from political discussions here because they always lead to arguments. Why? Because 99.99% of the people who discuss politics do nothing more than regurgitate whatever their favorite reporter feeds them. Whether it be Rush, Liddy, Hannity, Peter Jennings, your husband, or any of the other hundreds of talking heads spewing thier views these days, people throw back up what they hear and what they have been convinced is "right."

Much like the members of this forum did when they left The Society, my suggestion is to look it up for yourself. Here is a good place to start...

http://www.constitution.org/

You will find some interesting facts in the Constitution such as we do not live in a 2 party system, the Congress must issue a declaration of war before the president can put our countrymen in harm's way, you don't have to fill out the long-form every 10 years when the census people come around, and the government has no authority to write law regulating firearms. By the way, you won't find anything in there dealing with abortion.

The Constitution is not difficult to understand. Printed, it is about 10 or 12 pages long, depending on the font size you use. It is in plain language, and it means what it says. It is not written in a lot of legaleze, and was read by, and understood by people at the time with less education than the majority of us on this board.

When you want the facts, go to the source.

I hope that helps,

Swamp Thing

P.S. If you want to know what authority the Federal Government was given, look at Article 1, Section 8. The rest of the Constitution just tells them how to run their organization. Enjoy

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

You might try this site, I found it to be pretty balanced, and it asks hard questions of each candidate..

http://www.uspoliticstoday.com/news/JohnKerryGeorgeBushPresidentialElection2004?afid=355

• JAVA
    JAVA

One of the best Web sites for non-partisan facts about Kerry and Bush is:

http://www.factcheck.org/default.aspx

Michael

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit