Politics: Just the facts

by desib77 16 Replies latest jw friends

• desib77
    desib77

Thanks everyone! It appears I have a lot of research ahead of me. I just want to make sure I make the best decision possible....voting is still a new idea to me.

• Michael3000
    Michael3000
    The best thing to do, especially with Senator Kerry or Senator Edwards, is look at their voting records.

Whoa! Slow down, fella! I smell a slant...

Anyhoo - here's a start for your pre-voting edification:

http://www.issues2000.org/default.htm

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

You smell a slant, Michael?

Why do they , or you have something to hide?

Hmmmmm, do ya? Huh? Do ya? Huh? Do Ya? Do ya?

LABD

• Michael3000
    Michael3000
    Why do they , or you have something to hide?

Hmmmmm, do ya? Huh? Do ya? Huh? Do Ya? Do ya?

Not at all. My point was that BOTH sides need to be examined closely - not "especially Senator Kerry and Senator Edwards".

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

Michael,

I would agree. I should have posted the same for President Bush. However, I thought that it was a given that it would apply to both candidates.

My mistake.

However, the voting record of a legislator is more difficult to get. Especially, if the legislator is not from your home state. President Bush's record is trumpeted day and night on TV, radio and print.

LABD

• Carmel
    Carmel
    Several years (decades) ago, I gave up on a career in Political Science for exactly the reason that you have identified by your question. Our political system, hailed by many to be the "best one on the planet" is so full of "spin" and corruption that I wanted no part of it. To be successful in State or national politics you simply cannot maintain your integrety, cannot "shoot from the hip" or really "tell it like it is". If you do, you will loose the next election. Your opposition will distort your voting to mean something entirely different than you intended and a dissaproving press will make it virtually impossible to win. The law of American politics is the "golden rule". He who has the gold rules!!

Biology was much more fun and fulfilling...

carmel

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

I would also advise to get non-US news. Things are so screwy in our media. They simply are lazy these days. They don't ask the hard questions of their interview-ees. Use your eyes and ears. Look at what's going on and ask do you stand for these things or not. My choice is obvious from my avatar, but regardless of your politics please DO vote and encourage others to do the same. No matter who gets into office, we, as constituents need to use our vote to show how we really feel about issues.

Ern

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit