Do You Think We Are Helping Witnesses Get Out Thru This Forum?

by minimus 45 Replies latest jw friends

• findingme
    findingme

I "fell away" before finding this site. This site encourages me to understand why I wasn't comfortable living the life of a hypocrite. I was glad to find out I wasn't alone.

As far as helping others "get out", it is hard to say. A JW who visits the site must have doubts about their religion to begin with.

• lurk
    lurk

i think your helpoing

• gumby
    gumby

I like this question Min

I left something else as a result of this board. I left Christianity. That's another subject I know.

I did however learn many more things from this board that 'solidified' any lingering doubts that may have been in my head as an ex-dub.

It was here where I learned of 'real live' people confirming what I had only read about in COC and ISOCF. Freeminds was my first internet stop and Macgreggor Ministries. Freemind introduced me to this site I believe.....but it could have been from H2O.....not sure.

Gumby

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

As a dub I became increasingly aware over the years that many people fell away from Watchtowerland, for various reasons. Just one many aspects of JWism that I was wholly unaware of before I signed the dotted line. To combat the cognitive dissonance that this knowledge brought, I unconsciously developed several mental caricatures of these "apostates" and fall-aways:

1. The born-again flag-worshipping ex-JW turned Christian fundy

2. The hardened, hateful atheist

3. The miserable "I know it's the truth I just can't live up to it and I guess I'm going to die at the big A" inactive but sympathetic types

4. Raised in it, never took to it, and left as a young adult to live like the world does

It took all of a day or so of perusing this board for my broad and inaccurate caricaturized notions of ex-witnesses to be utterly destroyed, and that was what gave me the impetus to cut the final mental strings that were pulling me back to the KH. Ex-witnesses turned out to be nothing at all like I had imagined them to be in my constricted little borg mind, a mind that now keeps becoming more and more open with every day.

What I found here was one of the most interesting, thought-provoking, hilarious, maddening, bizarre, intelligent, stupid, creative potpourris of humanity that I've ever encountered, as opposed to the glassy eyed drones at the KH. This board literally changed my life. I can't even tell you what a different person I am then the guy who stumbled on this board a little over 2 years ago.

I don't know if I would have ever completely left mentally had it not been for this db. In the weeks prior to my finding my way here, I had been planning on spending the rest of my life as a #3, a miserable existence that probably is the lot of many in ex-JW land.

• Simon
    Simon
    still going out for about 1 hour per month in the field service

BTW guys - I hasten to add I report a lot more hours - I just love helping the WTBTS report to be false with loads of false hours

You bad man. You know Jehovah won't let you learn the piano / play with bears and lions / live forever in the new system now !!

• Brownboy
    Brownboy
    I am curious , especially since we have so many new ones here, as to how many actually left the organization because of this board or others similar to it. I certainly would hope that we are making a dent in the JW organization by what we do here......,

Is this your purpose in life mini cooper? Knowing the truth about certain teachings, and helping others to see the wrong, can be helpful in certain instances. However, you have nothing better to offer, so you are just bringing everyone down to nothing...............seems useless to me. BB

• gumby
    gumby

Wrong again Brown one.

This question could give members an idea of how much impact the internet has on exposing dubs for what they are and how it has aided others out and it's effectivness.

You should have saved your comment for one of Minimus's dummer questions

Gumby

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Brownboy,

Do you find the people here more interesting and real than the KH peeps, or not?

• Brownboy
    Brownboy
    Brownboy,

Do you find the people here more interesting and real than the KH peeps, or not? [ Dan the Man]

Interesting question Dan, People at the KH only present themselves on the surface. A person does not really get to know a spiritual brother, or sister, unless they spend more time with them. I can say that I had only a few good friends from the KH. On this forum, I have not met anyone in person. So I have no idea what to think of them. As far as their comments and such, I think people have the tendency to be a little more critical of one another, especially since they are masked behind the computer screen. All in all, what I find interesting has to found someplace other than a chat forum. I prefer the true interaction of a "real" human being. Brownboy

• Torch
    Torch

Hi, I am new to this site, and although it wasn't the reason for me living, it surehas helped me understanda bit more. You guys use alot of slang. What is a Dub ?

Regards, Torch

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit