Our dear Jackson is sick again . . . . interesting parenting question

by cruzanheart 36 Replies latest social family

• Princess
    Princess

Awww, Nina, I feel for you guys. My daughter is the family puker...always in the middle of the night. I'm always so wrecked the next day from lack of sleep and middle of the night clean up.

Andi said:

I was the oldest of 3 and 11 years older than my siblings. It was great being an only child for that long, but man...my baby brothers really sapped the maternal instinct out of me. I realized at a very young age that babies are not the sweet romantic thing many new mothers assume. They were a lot of work and I don't really have the desire to go through that again.

My mom had my younger brother when I was 10. I know exactly what you mean. I babysat an infant and knew all about the reality of caring for a baby. I swore I'd never have one. Steve and I were married seven years before we decided to have kids. I think waiting is one of the smartest things we did.

I was 26 and Steve was 36 when Rhys was born. We are very active and drag the kids along to watch us run and bike in different events. We have a lot of fun. I wish I was more patient and I work on it. I think if I were starting right now, I'd be less freaked out by the chaos of kids...but I think that comes from having them for eight years.

If I don't ever have a child, I think I'd be okay. I'm working on overcoming the guilt that comes with that. Many people think it selfish of me.

My sister-in-law and her husband decided not to have kids and they are happy with the decision. My mother-in-law however, is not happy with it. It's one of those things that is your decision and not anyone else's.

You are still young...you can change your mind, or become more comfortable with your decision not to have children. It's good both ways.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Nina/Big Tex,

I hope at this late date your little guy is feeling better. It is no fun to spend the summer in bed! Poor little guy!

I am only 32, but I had my first kid at the young age of 19...then had another one when I was finally an adult at the age of 27, then another at 29. I guess I may not be an "older" mom yet. But there is a big difference between being a kid at 19 having a kid, and being an adult. I think I am a smarter mom now, but oh I do miss the days when I had a lot more energy and could run around more.

My mom had her first kid at age 23 and her last at 45. Sometimes it seems to me that always having youngun' around that is yours keeps you young. My dad was even older, I think he was about 58 when the youngest was born. He loved to take her to restuarants so he could tell everyone, No that is not my grandaugther, it is my daughter!

At the same time though, my mom has never really had time for herself..but thats because of all the kids in between the first and the last. She is a bit tired out now, and sometimes the youngest two really wear her out. (they are 21 and 17, but are very immature sometimes.)

am looking forward to being "young" when my kids get married, and but, it is a little scary and fun to think that when my son is old enough to get married and have a kid, ,I could still be young enough to have another one...if I were very drunk and out of my mind of course.

• BLISSISIGNORANCE
    BLISSISIGNORANCE

Dear mum, dad and Jackson...........................

love and best wishes.

Bliss

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Thanks, all! Jackson got well, and Jennie got viral pink-eye. Jennie was just pulling out of that, and I got strep throat. Chris is very VERY nervous (figuring he's the next one to go down).

This is the first summer that the kids are actually counting the days eagerly for school to start. It's been HORRIBLE!!!

Nina (of the Antibiotics-and-Chloraseptic class)

• wednesday
    wednesday

Nina, so sorry for jackson and u guys. it can't be esay . I had my children at 18/23 so i am now just a tad older than u, and i can't imagine how i would cope with a small child. I am exhausted after my grandchildrne leave. If i had to raise them, well, i couldn't However, i have health problems u do not, so maybe if i was healther -who knows. Yes being your age u can give him the benefit of wisdom, and that is so important. U and BT seem like excellent parents and he is blessed to have u guys.

so many little children who don't have good parents, wish we could help them all.

• Sassy
    Sassy

Isn't it hard to go through when your little ones are sick? I remember the fevers and long nights as if they were yesterday..

I was one of the young parents group. Actually pregnant with our first at 19, although my Nick arrived after I turned 20. 15 months behind him Corey followed.... and four years after that Brit. So I had my hands full as a young woman. People are always shocked to hear I have a 25 yr old.. but I do..

Would it have been different or better if I had waited until being older? I dont' know. I do know that three other children would have been born, not the three I have.. so I am glad i had them when I did.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Very interesting comments! I think the moral is that there's no right or wrong time to have children -- all you have to do is want to be a good parent and do your best. I really didn't have much of a maternal urge, having been conditioned to not do ANYTHING because Armageddon was right around the corner, until I saw the movie "Parenthood." It was about a family with lots of problems but what I got out of it was that each and every parent loved their children with all their hearts. And in the end, that's what counts. After I saw that I wasn't scared to think about a child of my own, and I am deeply grateful that I have Jennie and Jackson.

I could do without the strep, though.

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit