Our dear Jackson is sick again . . . . interesting parenting question

by cruzanheart 36 Replies latest social family

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

This is starting to remind me of MY childhood. Of course, the plus side is that I grew out of most of it, but it was hell while it lasted.

Jackson (our 8-year-old) had his tonsils and adenoids out the beginning of June, in an effort to help reduce the number of infections and viruses he's been getting. He's allergic to a lot of stuff, most of which grows in Texas (where we live), and we've tried allergy shots on two separate occasions which reacted badly on him. He also has asthma attacks, mostly seasonal. Well, about three weeks after the surgery he developed an asthma problem that landed him in the hospital for 24 hours (that was two weeks ago). They put him on Prednisone to help boost his lungs, but that had a side effect of lowering his immune system and he picked up a nasty bug that landed us back in the ER last night with 102.3 temperature, body aches, the works. They said it's a virus (gee, where have I heard THAT before?) and sent us home with the usual prescription of Tylenol every 4-6 hours, lots of fluids and rest. Tonight it's passed to the vomiting stage, and I just remembered I had Phenergan and gave him some. Hope that helps -- that stuff works wonders on me.

So here it is 1:30 in the morning and darling Big Tex has just cleaned up the bathroom and we're waiting to see if it's worth our time to go back to bed. Last night we went to bed at 11:30P, I got up again at 3:30A because he was burning up and needed Tylenol and Mommy, then got up at 6A to go to work. My a**hole attorney (I have two attorneys and the Facilities Manager, but this guy is a piece of work) spent the day getting a brief out the door, so I gave my all and dragged home about 6P. Looks like another long night.

But you know what? He's worth every single minute of it. And while I wish I was younger and better able to cope with sleepless nights, I'm glad to be able to give them the benefit of living 48 years, even if that means that I can't do as much as the younger moms.

Okay, here's an interesting question to debate (and hopefully less volatile than politics): what are the advantages and disadvantages of young parents versus older parents? And by "young" I mean in their 20's, NOT teenagers. Let's have some opinions! I see good in both.

Nina (of the Need-My-8-Hours class)

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Hi Nina Sorry to hear Jackson is sick... again. sigh poor little guy and poor mom and dad - Can't be too easy on sis either for that matter.

Well I was a younger mom. Had my first one when I was 20 and the second when I was 24. I had lots of energy but wish I had waited til I had done some of my recovery work on me before having kids.

The big advantage for me is that at my age the kids are gone and my life is my own. The advantage for them of me being younger was I did have lots of energy. But I see I am so much calmer now. Even when I recently spent 5 weeks at my daughter's place waiting for my new grandson I see how much more patience I have. I can't say if that is age that has mellowed me or the recovery work- perhaps a bit of both.

Either way I think your kids are very lucky to have you and Chris as parents

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Hope your son feels better soon!!!

I think it would be neat being a parent when older. It is almost like you can have the best of both worlds by being a Parent, and a Grandparent at the same time. I have known several families where the parents waited to have children, and it seemed to be a refreshing experience to them.

p.s. Hugs to the doggies!!!

• neverthere
    neverthere

Oh Nina, I hope that Jackson feels better soon! I hate to see kids sick, breaks my heart.

I was a young parent, having my first son at 20, my second right after I turned 22 and I am also an older parent (IMO) as I had my daughter at 30. I think the only advantage to having kids younger is that simply you are younger. Not always a good thing. I personally have been raising kids for over 20 years (I am 33, I raised my nephew from the time I was 12). I think there are great benefits from being a bit older when you have kids. You have more patience, you have more life experience in general, you can be calmer, etc. Though this obviously does not apply in every situation.

As for Jackson's illness, have you taken him to a Natropath? I am just wondering cause some times they suggest eating honey from your local area that has NOT been pasturized. This is supposed to help with the allergies that come from the pollens etc.

Good luck,

Diana

• blondie
    blondie

Well, Blondie does not perform miracles but here are some hugs and kisses for all around. Maybe he might grow out it but coping now is hard. I knew a family whose youngest son suffered with asthma and allergies. As he got older, things improved greatly. Now in his 30's he has a few allergies but his asthma attacks are a thing of the past.

(((((((((hugs)))))))

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

condolences to the ill ones. Kids are so precious its hard to see them sick...

CZAR

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Get better soon (((Jackson))). No more helpless feeling, is there Nina? I think older parents are smart enough and tired enough to just let the damned chits raise their own-bad-selves, which is the preferred method ;-).

• Bryan
    Bryan

Tell Jackson we're sorry he's not feeling well.

And sorry you too are not getting the sleep.

My daughter was born when I was 20. I feel certain I would be a better father now simply because of my life experiences. Also we are better off financially and would be able to give a child more oportunities now that I am 40.

Bryan

• Brummie
    Brummie
    But you know what? He's worth every single minute of it. And while I wish I was younger and better able to cope with sleepless nights, I'm glad to be able to give them the benefit of living 48 years, even if that means that I can't do as much as the younger moms.

I think this statement means the absolute world, our earth wouldnt be in such a state if we all felt this way and demonstrated this kind of unconditional love.

((((((to the family))))))

Brummie

• Lehaa
    Lehaa

Dear Nina I hope Jackson is alright, I know how horrible it is when our babies are sick.

Question about Older versus younger mothers. I know both, my best friend in the borg and I were the perfect example. I'm a younger mum, One at 24 the other at 28. She was about 8 years older than me and we reised our kids together. She was a great mum, had heaps of energy and did heaps of cool stuff with her kids. I was younger but did not have quite as much energy but was better in othe ways, I'm pretty nuts and used to do haeps of crazy things with the kids. I also had a lot more experience with kids so was good at comong up with ideas and help when they were sick. ( worked in a creche for 7 years before I had kids of my own)

I think it depends on the individual parent. I've seen some older and younger mum's totally botch up parenting. Then I've see both age groups be fantastic parents. The big difference see with older and younger parents is the help they get from relatives. My girlfriends mother did not have the energy to look after the kids a lot, wheras my mum being younger did.

My thoughts on the subject anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit