The things you believed as a child

by Sirona 21 Replies latest jw friends

• r51785
    r51785

As a child I believed that in the year 1919 Jesus chose a printing company run by a drunken lawyer as his sole respresentatives on earth. When I grew up I stopped believing in that fairy tale.

• franklin J
    franklin J

Sirona

you had some pleasent thooughts as a child, I especially liked the one about your dolls coming to life ( I like to believe that now that I am 48 years old) I saw Toy Story and loved it.

As a child I was taught the JW regiment; most poignantly I was taught that I was the generation that was going to live forever. I really believed it and geared my young life accordingly. At 16 I attempted to quit school to pioneer full time. My father, a college educated engineer and also an Elder; forbid it. ( thank you Dad; for your good direction) . I was allowed to graduate a year early to start full time pioneering. So when that goal was met; I had no where to go and aspired to Gilead or Bethel .

The realization that my childhood and early adult hood was based on lies came to me in my early 20s. Big mind blasting Shock.

Frank

• thunderbirdsareno?
    thunderbirdsareno?

that sex was just a boy and girl kissing naked.

that demons might get me if i wasnt in a 'house of god'

mannequins were really alive and i could possibly trick them into talking to me.

my dolls and toys came to life when i wasnt around.

animals could speak english but never did it when people were around.

that the world was going to end any day now.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

That since the world went round, cars didn't move, the earth moved under them...yea, a bit of strange logic there...

that there was a headless wolfman ghost and a 9 foot tall giant ghost in my mom's room (back when I slept in the nursery).

that the sanitary napkins I sometimes saw in the trash were my dad's because he had a bleeding ulcer.

that sex was a dirty sin and a girl could get pregnant without having sex (but only if she was married) because MY PARENTS DIDn't have sex, just 8 kids and 5 miscarriages...but if you got pregnant without being married it was because you were nasty and having sex.

• sinamongurl
    sinamongurl

......that if you ate watermelon seeds (any seeds) that one would grow in your belly

hee hee :o)

Sin

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I only remember two items from my childhood, about age five:

• My stepdad convinced me that telephone poles grew from toothpicks planted at streetside.

• From there, I extrapolated that once builders framed a house, all they had to do was water it (the foundation?) for the walls to grow together. (I saw a framed house about this time period but didn't get to stick around to watch the entire building process.)

• My sister was a little older than that when she saw a TV broadcast about the first fetal sonograms. She misunderstood and for several years thereafter was convinced that scientists could build babies with the aid of computers.

GentlyFeral

• Pinned Blouse
    Pinned Blouse

That the combination of Pop Rock candy and Soda Pop could kill you by exploding in your belly.

That 25 cent was a lot of money

That parents do not tell lies

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Oh my lord I have such a bizarre set of childhood beliefs that I had to finally give up.

My mother was really weird and taught me some very odd things

• that if a boy touched your breasts you would get pregnant (that really terrified me when my father abused me)
    • that if you peed fast it meant you were a prostitute so especially in public wahrooms I struggled to pee slowly

The abuse did some weird things to how I saw the world too

• if a man got aroused and a female didn't "take care of him" "it" would explode. (My child mind was visualizing what happens when a balloon gets too big) and um I was 32 yrs old before I was able to ask someone what happens if you don't do anything)
    • that I could fly over the houses and trees to escape my father who would be running around on the street screaming at me to come down so he could beat me
    • that if I told anyone about the abuse I would be blamed and put in a dungeon and fed only water and bread
    • that there really was a monster who lived under my bed who woul drag me under the bed and rape me and he had the ability to hang in the crack between teh bed and the wall so I couldn't see him when I looked under the bed (for years I jumped off the bed and crawled over funriture to get on it - given up after I stopped living with my father)

Other oddities

• that if you ate watermelon seeds they would only grow if you wandered around with your mouth open to the sun because they needed light to grow
  • Carmel
    Carmel

that God had only one name, the rest were "made up".

carmel

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Well I truly believed in Santa Claus (Father Christmas) and I tryuly believed that I should leave him a drink nera the chimney and that if I did tha tI would get extra presents - and I once saw red lights flying through the sky which I thought was his sleigh and reindeers - I now know of course that it would have been an aircrfats tail lights - but tha twas when I was young an innocent- I aslo believed something bad would happen if I kissed a girl.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit