The things you believed as a child

by Sirona 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Sirona
    Sirona

Hi

What things did you believe as a kid that now make you chuckle?

I believed:

that Father Christmas had special dust which he sprinkled into the children's eyes so they would forget they'd seen him.

that when I wasn't looking, my dolls would come alive...but they were bound by the "toy rules" and couldn't let me know.

that a monster would get me when I flushed the toilet (thanks to my brother for THAT one) LOL

that if you didn't get out of the bath once you'd pulled the plug out, you could get sucked down the plug hole (good way of getting a kid out of the bath)

That the advert "Chester Zoo, where all your children's dreams come true" meant that if I visited Chester Zoo then my dreams (and nightmares!) would literally come true! (this was from my sister...)

That God would like it if I threw shiny trinkets out of my bedroom window for him.

That you could get pregnant from french kissing.

That I could get drunk on a mouthful of babysham at christmas.

That if I looked into an upturned mirror at 12 midnight the devil would come out of it!

That eating more than one teaspoon of sugar would give me worms.

That the tooth fairy gave 10p for one tooth, but if you left two she'd mysteriously leave 50p

Come to think of it, I'm not that different now I've grown up!

Sirona

• Sweetp0985
    Sweetp0985

I used to think that all the killings/murders shown on tv/movies were real. I thought that the people being killed/murdered were criminals from jail and because they were bad they were being killed/murdered for whatever they did. Sick huh?

• Mulan
    Mulan

I thought that snakes were under my bed at night and if I got out of bed, they would come after me. Thanks to my big brother for that one. We shared a bedroom until I was about 6. That must be why I am, to this day, terrified of snakes. Unreasonably terrified.

I believed in Santa Claus until I was about 10 years old, even though my parents became JW's when I was 4. I used to sneak out bed on Christmas Eve and look into the sky to see if I could see him. I thought he just didn't come to our house because we were JW's. How a child's mind works, eh?

• New Castles
    New Castles

I remember believing that a hand would grab through the railing on the second floor in our house.

That at night, the "whole" world was asleep.

That Satan was this Lion waiting to just eat us up...

There are more I just cant remember right now

• Ranch
    Ranch

I believed that TV shows and Movies were of real families live. I believed that there were cameras in our home filming us and we were on TV or movies.

LOL, I guess I was one of the first to come up with the concept of reality TV.

I also thought I had magical powers but just hadn't perfected them yet. That came from me watching bwitched and I Dream Of Jeanie when my mom wasn't around!

• Mulan
    Mulan

I believed I could fly, but only at night. I have really clear memories of flying around the neighborhood during the night and watching people.

Some would call that astral projection. A Native American woman I met once, told me I could do that, and then I told her about my dreams. Then she told me I was Native American and had the ability to "go out of my body" and look around. I found out a few months later that my great grandmother was Native American. Weird, huh?

• Sirona
    Sirona

LOL! There are some wierd things that kids believe in!

Mulan: sounds cool! Why don't you try it next time and try to visit someone you know. Then phone them up and see if they're wearing the clothes you saw...etc. I read somewhere that you can try to travel astrally and verify such information (things you wouldn't have known if you hadn't actually travelled there)

Sirona

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

A meteorite would hit our house.

Jehovah wore a top hat.

All the grown-ups at the Hall were really nice.

The Flag was bad.

• SAHS
    SAHS

?God?s organization.?

(Now I don?t know whether to laugh or cry.)

?SAHS

• RR
    RR

Santa and the tooth fairy!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit