Tipping the Gal who cuts hair

by Jim_TX 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Do Americans tip everybody?

It seems like it. I just got home from Las Vegas, and everyone there has their hand out for a tip. You tip the guy who gets you the taxi (we didn't but we saw that everyone else did), then the taxi driver, the bellman, the guy who picks up your laundry (I spilled sunscreen all over my best outfit), the one who brings it back, the room service gal, the waiters and waitresses, the gal who brings your free drinks while you are gambling, the maitre d who seats you at the shows, so you get a better seat (that works by the way), and the skycap. The friend I was traveling with (we met her sisters there) has arthritis really bad, so got a wheelchair at the airport. The person who brought it and pushed her got a healthy tip too, but it was worth it to get through security so fast.

We spent a few hundred dollars on tips among the six of us. But the service was really excellent and worth it.

• Xena
    Xena

lol derek she makes me blonde...and for that she deserves extra money, cause damn blondes DO have more fun (or at least this woman does when she is blonde)

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

I've been going to my stylist Jackie for 12 years....thought I'd never fine the likes of the stylist I had in Back East...

She only charges me $85.00 and I try to tip her anywhere from $5.00 to $10.00 cause I know her prices have gone up but she keeps mine at the old prices

She also KNOWS my hair which is thick and doesn't look like it would curl if you paid it...but it actually takes curl very easy and needs to be cut correctly. She also knows Thunder loves me in bangs BUT they drive me up the wall...after the last time I had bangs and bitched for 6 months she said she will NEVER EVER cut me bangs EVERNow that is a stylist

I can cut hair really good (mens wouldn't dare touch a womens hair EEEK) I cut Thunder and he tips me well

• Poztate
    Poztate

I remember years ago going to one woman barber.She was in her mid thirties.She cut hair quite nicely but where most barbers stand behind you for the most part to cut your hair she liked to be in front and LEAN OVER to get the HARD PARTS in the back.

NO ...I am not making this up...I always tiped her well as she always gave me good service.

• Corvin
    Corvin

I have been to some pretty crappy hair cutters who charge a lot of beans for messing up my hair. I have been to some lower priced cutters who have done excellent caring work. To me, whatever the price was for the haircut is not really the thing. When I look at myself in the mirror, I will either feel gratitude for the quality and care of their work, or I will be pissed that they just didn't give a crap. The tip is determined by me based on that and that alone.

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

I usually tip a couple of bucks. I've been going to an old fashioned barber for the last 5 1/2 years. He's the only one who cuts my hair to my satisfaction. I also give him a $25 christmas bonus. Even my JW wife gave a bonus to our housekeeper at christmas last year.

Of course, I live in a smallish town, and I feel it's simply good business. He is also the only guy to cut my grandson's hair. This weekend, we're going to get haircuts. He's getting his first haircut that's "like paw-paw's". I have a short cut millitary style flat top...so now he'll have one too.

Ern

• Carmel
    Carmel

I get my locks dropped at the local beauty college for $8. Generally I give her $10 regardless of the quality. They are doing their best and I try to be encouraging. Luckily the trainer fixes any problems but it's rare that they need it.

carmel

• gumby
    gumby
    depending on how well I feel that they did. Some really mess up - and fumble as much cutting my hair, as I do handing them the 'tip'

Jim....my gawd!......your hair looks like shit.....what happened?

Just kiddin. I agree with Derek.....but I'm a $2 tipper myself, but only because I feel like a tightass if I don't tip.

Gumby

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    but I'm a $2 tipper myself, but only because I feel like a tightass if I don't tip.

Gumby

Well, yeah Gummers, if you feel like a tightass then you'll let go of your hard earned cash.

It's really a kindness and matter of generosity to tip a hair dresser. The stylists in the shops where I worked thought it nice to be tipped, but they certainly did not expect it, especially from people they knew could not afford to tip. I do tip a couple of bucks sometimes but I think maybe I am talking myself out of it until I make at least as much money as those hairdressers do. Even at forty hours a week that's just not going to happen right now.

PS: I work my butt off in a gift shop, bending over backwards to help people. At Christmas people really take advantage of our free gift wrapping policy. I have had people ask me to wrap 15-20 separate ornaments plus several gifts. I have stood there an hour or hour and a half wrapping one person's gifts. Once in a blue moon someone is kind and tips me. I don't expect it but it's nice when they do.

Flyin'

• gumby
    gumby
    At Christmas people really take advantage of our free gift wrapping policy. I have had people ask me to wrap 15-20 separate ornaments plus several gifts. I have stood there an hour or hour and a half wrapping one person's gifts.

Flyin......first of all, I kinda think you should know by now your little arse shouln't be wrappin christmas presents in the first place........hun!!!!!!! Santa is a demon posessed little bastard and you know that!

Seriously little lady....if you stood for an hour and a half......wrapping your patootie off for old Gumby... and did a real nice job......I'd prolly give ya at LEAST a dollar. Nobody's ever gonna accuse me of bein a tightass!

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit