Tipping the Gal who cuts hair

by Jim_TX 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Okay... I may act like a hick from a small-town... but... I'm curious about something.

What is the 'proper' amount that one is supposed to 'tip' the gal at the salon. The one whut cuts the hair.

I've never really had a good idea... and I know that I look like a dufus... fumbling and mumbling... as I hand a dollar or two to the gal.

Now... if I'm supposed to be giving something like $5.00... forget it!

I usually hand over 1 or 2 dollars - depending on how well I feel that they did. Some really mess up - and fumble as much cutting my hair, as I do handing them the 'tip'.

Anyway... I hope I don't get blasted for this. I'm just curious. I know those gals work hard.

Today, I got my hair cut. The cut cost $16.00 - pricey. The gal did a reasonable job - considering I went in looking like a sheepdog.

I gave her $2.00 as a tip.

Regards,

Jim TX

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

In some counties, cow tipping is illegal *joke for the ex's who cling to the teachings of Rutherford*

• Xander
    Xander

$5

And a good haircut runs around $20.

• Piph
    Piph

I haven't had my hair cut professionally for a long time, and I'm overdue. Is there a percentage involved? I know women's hair can cost a lot more, especially if there's coloring involved (which there hopefully will be for me, next time. :D).

• Mulan
    Mulan

It probably should have been $3. I think 20% is the going rate.

My father gets an $8 haircut, hands the barber $10, gets his $2 in change and leaves. But, then he is almost 91.

• blondie
    blondie

20 percent is the going rate here; unless the owner cuts your hair (then a tip is not required--according to the owner who has cut my hair for the last 25 years)

Hairdresser: 15% to 20%. (It is now acceptable to tip owner, unless he or she says otherwise.)

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/tipping/

• carefully faded
    carefully faded

Jim, Mulan is correct. The industry standard amount to tip your stylist is at least 20% (fyi. . . your tip was a little over 12%) .

You're lucky your haircut only cost $16. Try $125 for a cut and color . . . every 5 weeks!

- CF

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I tip a hairdresser only if I can afford it. First of all they get paid much higher wages than a waitress or waiter. They get 50-60% or more of the price of the haircut or other service. I tip them a couple of bucks tops. Besides, haircuts are way overpriced at most salons. I used to do shampoos and assist with perms and colors. Sometimes I would do luminize for the stylists. I would do the whole thing and not get a tip from the stylist or the client. The hairdresser would get paid for the luminize and be tipped for it as well.

You tip a server in a restaurant because they are being paid minimum server wage. Sometimes that is less than $3 an hour.

If you have excess money and want to be kind and tip a stylist then it's really up to you. It's not required that you tip a stylist.

Flyin'

Wow, I just looked at Blondie's link. You know, if you tip everybody they say to tip, and a lot of them are paid regular wages, not minimum server wages, you could blow your entire paycheck being nice to people. I'm not rich. I can't afford to tip people who make regular wages. I knew a manicurist sister in Atlanta who made $70,000 a year in the mid 1970s. Think before you tip. Maybe you can afford a tip a lot less than they need it.

• liquidsky
    liquidsky
    "Try $125 for a cut and color . . . every 5 weeks"

Yep, thats about what I pay for a cut, color and a wax.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

And another thing.

I pay say $20 for a wet haircut. No shampoo and no style. The stylist spends 15 minutes cutting my hair. She got paid 50 % of $20.00 from the salon owner. That's $10. Basically she got paid $40 an hour to cut my hair and do nothing else. Now for the salon owner? Why would you tip them unless they are unusually gifted and no else on earth can cut your hair but them?

Flyin'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit