Is The Watchtower Organization Thought Of As An American Religion?

by Outaservice 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

While we all know that the Jehovah's Witnesses are found throughout the world, someone once told me that in other countries the Governing Body does not carry the weight that they do in the United States.

Do you living in Germany, France, UK, Australia, etc. feel that was the case? To me, it seemed that such persons as the Australians were such a 'gutsy' independent, Wild West sort of culture that would question authority more so than say a U.S. Witness.

Is this primarily thought of as an American religion by others?

Outaservice

• Celtic
    Celtic

From experience on the ministry - Yes.

• mustang
    mustang

I've been reviewing the laws of a number of other countries, in regard to how religion is practiced. JW'ism works best in the USA. It seems to be "tuned" to the high level of freedom, permission and tolerance of unpopular expression allowed in the US "worldview".

And it did start here; so I would say YES!!!

Mustang

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

The percentage of JWs is the US is the highest of any country, but the WT has always claimed that it is good news for all nations and that the religion originated with God and Jesus...Of course their are no Chinese or East Indian GB members or any of the other nations sporting a population higher than the US. Another of the many things I used to wonder about during my JW daze days.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Even though I knew they were headquartered in New York, I have always considered this a "foreign" religion as it seemed so un-american.

Dave

• lazyslob
    lazyslob

For us it look´s like extremly American.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Yes, the JW's, the Mormons, the Adventists, are all American Religions...pretty much everything that grew up in the 1800's.

• justhuman
    justhuman

For sure it is an American Religion...what do you expect a religion that was created in U.S. has masonic and occult origins, the head offices located in U.S. the leaders are a banch of old American quys and all of them are white, have no idea of Greek language and they make their own bible in order to support their strange teachings?

Watchtower are like Latest Day Saints and many other sects and cults that formed in U.S

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Yes, JW are commonly seen as an American religion like many strange things that come from the US.

But we Germans (in general) like to follow rules and look up to authority so I would not say that the GB had less importance here in Germany.

Actually in the beginning Germany used to be the biggest branch after the US.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

When I was a JW, over ten years ago, all the English language publications were actually in American. This was even more obvious on the Bible tapes and the Drama soundtracks. But that did not have any adverse effect on the esteem in which the GB were held. And of course it was drummed into us that it was a worldwide organisation, not a USA organisation.

However, normal people definately view JWs as an "American religion".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit