Profound statement thread

by Brummie 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I really love the quotations of Mark Twain, sometimes they are silly, and other times quite profound:

Man is a Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion--several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn't straight. He has made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to smooth his brother's path to happiness and heaven....The higher animals have no religion. And we are told that they are going to be left out in the Hereafter. I wonder why? It seems questionable taste.
    - "The Lowest Animal"

Of the demonstrably wise there are but two: those who commit suicide, & those who keep their reasoning faculties atrophied with drink.
    - Notebook #42, 1898

If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.

- Notebook, 1894

The perfection of wisdom, and the end of true philosophy is to proportion our wants to our possessions, our ambitions to our capacities, we will then be a happy and a virtuous people.
    - "The Enemy Conquered; or, Love Triumphant"

Humor is mankind's greatest blessing.
    - Mark Twain, a Biography

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

Without the sour, the sweet, just isnt as sweet...

• glitter
    glitter

Life isn't fair, it's just fairer than death, that's all.

"The Princess Bride" by William Goldman

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

From The Simpsons:

Lisa: I still believe in protecting animal's rights, but that still doesn't excuse what I did. I'm sorry for wrecking your barbecue, dad.
    Homer: That's okay, honey. I used to believe in things too.
  • Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

I know God won't give me more than I can handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much.

There are two sides to every divorce, yours and dirtbags'.

Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed..

• wednesday
    wednesday

Jim Steinman is (was) Meat Loaf's writer for all his really good stuff. I love his songs.

"If the thrill is gone, it's time to take it back"

"life is a lemon, and i want my money back"

"i've been looking for the original sin. one with a twist and a bit of a spin. and since I've done all the old ones, till they've all been done in. endlesslly searching for the original sin"

and about love well i like his song "amnesty is granted"

goes a bit like this

"u said that love would last forever. Neither one of us will ever surrender. There comes a time, There's a place, a change of heart. About face. This is about love. It's about forgiveness...u don't have to give.. amnesty is granted".

so agree with another poster, billy joel is great. "i'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints".

I actually do have some other "high brow" one liners and such, but this stuff comes to mind this am.

• glitter
    glitter
    "life is a lemon, and i want my money back"

That reminds me - if life hands you lemons... stuff them in your bra to make your boobs look bigger!

• Englishman
    Englishman

"Happiness is egg-shaped".

It's true, actually. Eating a boiled egg is such a cheerful experience, is it not?

Englishman.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

"Now is the time to shape your stories. You can lay down and die, or live and fight your sorrows!"

Auron (Final Fantasy X)

"People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and have tremendous impact on history"

Vice President Al Gore

"Lady, I'm not an athelete, I'm a baseball player"

John Kruk

"Be a lamp unto yourself"

-Prince Siddhartha (Shakyamuni Buddha)

• minimus
    minimus

"A hole is a hole".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit