Was There Ever Any Rule That You Thought Was Silly In The Organization?

by minimus 55 Replies latest jw friends

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Nope. I thought every rule made sense and was the pinnacle of theological argument...

CZAR

• Pinned Blouse
    Pinned Blouse

If you were "sick" they would encourage you to call before the meetings so you can hear the talks via the intercom. They did not realize that the talks was the cause of my illness.\

PB

• Mary
    Mary

1. No Birthdays (this always pissed me off the most)
    2. We had to stop wearning dress pants to the bookstudy---had to wear a freaking dress
    3. 5 meetings a week were just too, too many.......
    4. You could always go overtime at the meeting, but you could never be done early.
    5. They'd never cancel the meetings, even when there were weather advisories out there telling everyone to "STAY OFF THE ROADS!!"
    6. If you didn't go out banging on people's doors and make it to all the meetings and you croaked, you may not get a "Christian burial"........
    7. Encourage everyone in the world to "examine their religion closely" and "ask your priest and/or minister the hard questions", but risk being disfellowshipped if you do the same thing within the Borg.
  • Soledad
    Soledad

the dress/skirt thing was too friggin stupid. I often rebelled for the bookstudy and wore pants.

I know I posted this before--in my area the use of tampons was banned, for reasons that were not at all clear to me.

• wednesday
    wednesday

the absolute ban on R rated movies. I agree parents should moniter childrens viewing, and i mysef do not care to sit through a move that excessively uses the F word or has unnecessary vilence, but really, i'm able to decide that myself. I do not need to be monitered. We saw "ghost busters" and were shunned by everyone for seeing the move. It was hilarious. we took our kids. so what. I appreciate the rating system, it is a nice guide to help me as a parent decide what my kids should see. But i'm an adult, and if i find a movie offensive, i'll get up and leave.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

in the 60's miniskirts...in some congregations you had to kneel and the elders made sure your skirt touched the ground

Movies...a lot of disney ones were banned, anything with witchcraft (snow white, sleeping beauty). We weren't supposed to watch Bewitched.

the boots discussion - I remember go-go boots were banned. I wore a pair of brilliant yellow ones out in service one day - freaked them all out! hehehe

no beards, no sideburns allowed...I remember they used to portray Jesus as clean-shaven in the magazines, then one day they decided that made no sense and added a beard. But they still wouldn't let the "brothers" emulate Jesus in hairstyle.

stay in your house with all the lights out on halloween. or alternatively, answer the door and preach to all the little kids about how wrong they are.

Birthdays not allowed, but huge fancy wedding anniversary parties were ok.

the whole double standard about national anthem. You could stand if they were singing because singing was the "act" but if they weren't singing you were to sit down.

recorded music...they used to have people actually accompany the songs on piano, orchestras at the assemblies, but one day they decided that this was too individual.

lots more, just can't think of them right now...

D

• glitter
    glitter
    I know I posted this before--in my area the use of tampons was banned, for reasons that were not at all clear to me.

How would they ever expect to find out?!

Movies...a lot of disney ones were banned, anything with witchcraft (snow white, sleeping beauty).

I answered the door to a JW elder while holding my copy of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, wow he went pale. He didn't out and out *say* JK Rowling had sold her soul to the devil for sucess but I suppose that's what "she makes a lot of money writing about these witchcraft things doesn't she?" could mean LOL.

• Scully
    Scully
    the use of tampons was banned, for reasons that were not at all clear to me.

Perhaps the plumbing got blocked at the KH and they found tampons at the point of the blockage? I used to know JWs who wouldn't use them. The rationale was two-fold: 1) The only thing that was supposed to go "in there" was the husband's p3n!$, and 2) tampons were things that "stored" blood and were therefore against God's Law on Blood?.

Personally, what I use is nobody's business but mine!!

Here is my contribution to the Silly Rules of the Organization:

April 1, 1986 Watchtower:

Approved association with Jehovah's Witnesses requires accepting the entire range of the true teachings of the Bible, including those Scriptural beliefs that are unique to Jehovah's Witnesses.
    Love, Scully
  • minimus
    minimus

I never heard of the tampons ban. Too funny......I do know of a 15 yr. old girl who got toxic shock syndrome because she left her tampon inside and simply "forgot about it".

• Ranch
    Ranch

How about sisters having to wear a head covering, sisters not allowed to teach in the congregation, sisters not allowed to have any privledge in the cong except for pioneering and cleaning bathrooms!

Brothers had to have hair cut to a length above the top of the ears or they couldnt have privledges. No cowboy boots on stage,

No slits in sisters skirts. They are still harping on that one and have for over 20 years!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit