Invitation To Americans To Find Fault With The British..

by Englishman 145 Replies latest jw friends

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    That's because we travel abroad much more than the Americans do. So we see lot's of differences in various countries. Some of what we see is very impressive, some of what we see is diabolical as in my trip into Albania last year. Our horizons are more broadened by travel, and the general American unwillingness to depart to foreign climes stops that broadening process.

Well, I have traveled a lot in my youngish life (internationally). I see lots of problems. For example when I was in Africa, I was horrified by the lifestyle that many of those people have to endure. I could bitch about their politics and political leaders all day long, but it would accomplish nothing. Same with people bitching about the U.S. Other than alienating some people, what does it accomplish? You aren't opening anyone's eyes if all you show is your contempt for their country. It only alienates the audience that you are trying to reach. Seems counter-productive. If changing U.S. policy is your obsession: Gain citizenship and vote. Become a lobbyist or lawyer and fight to see laws/policy changed. Or even run for office (non-presidency of course).

• dubla
    dubla

eman-

That's because we travel abroad much more than the Americans do.

that may be true, i dont know the statistics on it. personally, ive been overseas, and would like to travel more....but i do hope that traveling will never give me that same obsession......i wouldnt want to spend my energy on such a fruitless endeavor.

so, we are on the "invitation to find fault with the british" thread, and ive really yet to do so specifically.....ill take the opportunity now. your post along with mine reminded me of the main complaint i have with many of the british (on this forum)......its the "we are better" mentality that i see blasted all over the place. take your above post for example....it just reeks of "we are better because we travel more and our minds are broadened.....americans refuse to broaden their minds". sweeping generalizations such as these are rampant here. i hear constantly that americans think they have the best country in the world, but i have to say the competivite juices (when it comes to comparing countries) seem to come from the non-americans on this board for the most part. i personally dont think it accomplishes much.

aa

• xLaurax
    xLaurax

Got it in one dubla.... were just so much better than all of ya!

xLauarx

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

As an American, I personally can see no harm, and much gain, in knowing how America is viewed by people from other countries. If they have criticism, I can only know it if they tell me and I listen. My fellow Americans, I'm going to have to ask you to quit being a bunch of goddamn sissies and whiney can't-take-criticism titty babies. Grow the eff up you little nits. *wipes America's runny nose*

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    As an American, I personally can see no harm, and much gain, in knowing how America is viewed by people from other countries. If they have criticism, I can only know it if they tell me and I listen. My fellow Americans, I'm going to have to ask you to quit being a bunch of goddamn sissies and whiney can't-take-criticism titty babies. Grow the eff up you little nits. *wipes America's runny nose*

Well, I'm curious, what 'gain' have you received? Also, criticism doesn't accomplish a whole lot, other than alienation. Most people resent it and do not gain. Constant criticism mixed in with over-generalization just doesn't work well.. it's something I'd never do with my child, so why do it with others?

• Simon
    Simon

I think if anyone tries to ram "we are better" or "we are the greatest" down people's throats it:

a) makes peolpe want to gag

b) makes peolpe want to point out just how *not* better they are

So, next time you start with the flag waving and imagining you are gods favourite nation, just remember that. It really get's up the nose of the British - not because we are jealous that you are, but because we know that you are not.

• dubla
    dubla

six-

your comment:

As an American, I personally can see no harm, and much gain, in knowing how America is viewed by people from other countries.

is much different than the idea s.p. and i were discussing, which s.p. repeated here, and worded it very nicely:

Constant criticism mixed in with over-generalization just doesn't work well.

theres certainly nothing wrong with knowing what others think of america....its the constant "we are better than you" that gets sickening.

simon-

I think if anyone tries to ram "we are better" or "we are the greatest" down people's throats it:

a) makes peolpe want to gag

thats exactly what i was saying! sounds like you are getting it now.

aa

• Englishman
    Englishman

A little OTT Simon?

Englishman.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Kinda thought my statements were self-evident. If you don't understand, you're not trying, 'cuz I know you're not stupid. If you can't imagine good coming from criticism, you must not imagine crafting much of a life for yourself, cuz criticism has to come from somewhere, internal or external, for growth. Deciding you'll only listen to internal criticism, is frankly stupid.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Constant Schmonstant. I'm telling you guys, this titty baby shit is unattractive. Face the criticism, own it, and where it is accurate, fix it. Don't snivel about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit