Should Hand Held Cell Phones be Outlawed While Driving??

by minimus 140 Replies latest jw friends

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    It doesn't upset me if the pilot is flying a plane and talking too.

Remind me never to drive around you and fly the airlines you have flown. I surly hope you reported the tipsy captain. Seems to me you are a little too liberal with the life of others. You may risk your own but not mine.

I can damn well gurantee if your wife or child was on a plane full of passengers who crashed because the captain was speaking on the phone you would be outraged that your childs life was taken over a phone call that could have waited. I would not be surprised if you did not sue.

Cassi

• minimus
    minimus

You know what I think is dangerous?? Suddenly, pulling over and talking to a person, because a law says you can't answer your ringing telephone while driving. People can get into horrible accidents because of this.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    Suddenly, pulling over and talking to a person, because a law says you can't answer your ringing telephone while driving. People can get into horrible accidents because of this.

Min I have a cell phone if it rings while driving I do not answer it. I have it in the car for emergencies.

If there is a need to speak on the phone I pull into a gas station where I will in turn blow up the gas pumps by speaking on the cell phone because of the signal it emits.

Cassi

• minimus
    minimus

Actually, isn't there something recently about low sperm counts for men always talking on the cellphones?? I think I'll just get rid of all my phones (just to be on the safe side).

• Satanus
    Satanus

Minimouse is a slave to his cellphone. Heh heh. Hey mini, you need a cellphone on a chip, so they can surgically implant it in your brain. You a cyborg candidate, man.

SS

• boa
    boa

AlanF,

boa says whooooah there....

This started out as a q requested what I assumed would be the opinions of the masses on this board about whether cell phone should be outlawed while driving and it appears to be going past that....

I will succintly state my answer to this question:

No, I don't thing they should be outlawed. Big brother already has enough damn rules getting in the way of personal choice IMO.

Yes, I believe that law enforcement personel should use the laws that exist, namely, Driving Without Due Care and Attention to penalize any driving offenses that are unsafe and don't have some other charge. This law already exists likely in most jurisdictions.

Now, I thought that I was basically agreeing with you before AlanF other than the part about how black and white drinking and driving AND using cell phone during driving is. It is obvious to use your term that driving while 'drunk' is NOT black and white, it is entirely GREY. Governments decide the definition of 'drunk' (in BC it is a blood/alcohol reading of .08) and other jurisdictions differ.

I think you're missing a basic point, boa: Your freedom to swing your arm ends where my nose begins.

I believe you are correct here. I didn't realize this we were going so far past the threads q into your statement above. The obvious point though in relation to the thread is that cell phones have been around for some time now and only lately are some jurisdictions making special legislation about them. There are many things that we all do that are currently not legislated and infringe on others rights. Hell, a great example is the right to 'trespass' on private property with a largely unwanted message that witnesses have fought for so long to secure. It is apparently considered by most governments to be a tolerable breach of privacy.

In other words, freedoms cannot be absolute when your freedom puts others at unnecessary risk or infringes on their freedoms.

I agree with the first, however, the question is what things are decided as 'unnecessary' risk and who the hell decides? My freedom to drive a car puts others at risk. Big brother has decided to issue me the privilege regardless of what anyone else may think about this 'risk'.

A good example is wearing a motorcycle helmet. I don't care a bit if someone wears one or not, or kills himself or not. If he kills himself, I'll chalk it up to natural selection in action. But if I'm affected in any way, then I'm certainly going to care. If my insurance rate goes up because morons are injuring and killing themselves because they won't wear helmets, then they're infringing on my rights. Same goes for seatbelts.

I have always thought this and agree totally.

Smoking in public places is another good example. Thirty years ago nonsmokers like me had to endure inhaling other peoples' poisonous smoke. We could do nothing about it, because it was accepted by society in general. I don't care if people smoke or not (I have plenty of good friends who smoke, btw), as long as they don't do it so that I can't get away from it or when it infringes on my freedom to inhale reasonably clean air. While most of my smoking friends have the decency and common sense to smoke outside my home, without my having to tell them, plenty of smokers don't. That's why laws have been enacted prohibiting these people without common decency and common sense from smoking in public places.

Again, I am totally in agreement with this as well. Society has made the changes because and only because of public pressure though. It isn't just because government want to look after your health by saving you from second hand smoke is it? Governments are the greatest benefactors of the act of smoking. If health care was really really cheap, hell, they'd probably encourage tons of smoking and other drugs.

Note that I was talking about illegal drugs, or any drugs that impair one's ability to handle machinery properly.

Not a prob....I actually was going off into general commentary later in my last post, I should have made that more clear. Though of course 'illegal' is a moot grey point - big brother decides whats legal unless you're in Jersey where everything is legal as long as you don't get caught.

Now answer these questions:

Do you think it should be legal to drive under the influence of alcohol or any other drugs that impair your ability to drive without injuring others? State your reasons.

Do I? I have a problem with understanding what 'impair' is exactly. If I say it means any possible reduction in ability to drive, then it is an impossible standpoint to defend much less enact. Having a big fight with the wife and then driving may impair judgement. Lack of sleep definitely impairs judgement - how much of a lack of sleep is allright? NONE? Well, we're all effed then, the economies of every nation will crumble if that one is enforced. Thus, I would like to say No it shouldn't be legal if Yes we can define at what point others are at risk of being injured. I'm not trying to be smart here!

Do you think that all people are capable of judging whether they're impaired?

No.

If many people are incapable of judging their state of impairedness, how should governments control them? Note that one of the main functions of government should be to stop people from hurting each other, such as putting in place laws to prevent murder and thievery.

Yes, they try with laws. They are largely a poke in the dark when it comes to traffic in my experience.

Do you think that laws against murder and thievery are unfair infringements on people's freedom?

Only when I want to kill someone and they deserve it! lol Seriously, of course this is reasonable. (like me )

Do you think that smokers should be allowed to impinge on my freedom to breath clean air in public places?

Already answered above. No, they should not. Though I've heard from a course I took on vehicle emissions that one study about pollution put cigarette smoke at 1% of the pollutants in the Los Angeles basin!

Why do you think there's any difference between laws against murder, drunk driving and smoking in public places (which stop people from hurting others unnecessarily and impinging on others' freedom) and laws against using cell phones while driving (which stops people from hurting others unnecessarily and from impinging on others' freedom not to be hurt by stupid actions)?

Because it comes down to degree. You ARE allowed to defend yourself, usually with at least as much force/threat as you are faced with (in Canada anyway) up to killing someone. You ARE allowed to drink and drive in many jurisdictions including BC up to .08 blood/alcohol level. You are allowed to smoke in public places all over the world, though many jurisdictions restrict doing so inside buildings, planes, restaurants. But you can get 2nd hand smoke outside, you can rent a car that has been smoked in and no doubt other 'public' places. Cell phones are not black and white dangerous all the time for everyone. It comes down to acceptable risk for governments. If I get the feel of what you are saying, then you should also support a complete ban on driving over 50km/h because if we all did that and it was enforced, virtually NO people (out of tens of thousands in NA) would be killed in cars EVER again! Yet, governments decide the degree of danger for different roads and the general driving populations skill and probly a shyteload of other reasons, the biggest one likely being the economy and allow much higher speed limits greatly increasing the carnage and death on our highways.

Where does your freedom to swing your arm end?

How far out are you allowed to stick your nose to get in the way of my swinging arm?

boa

• minimus
    minimus

Boa, that was excellent! Alan, you've met your match.......Yup, everything Boa said, is just what I was thinkin'....Yeah, that's the ticket!

• AlanF
    AlanF

Let's cut to the chase here, Boa. Basically, we agree on all the important points except whether governments should restrict cell phone use by drivers. I should add that I'm glad that you're actually addressing issues rather than evading them, like certain other posters are.

:: Why do you think there's any difference between laws against murder, drunk driving and smoking in public places (which stop people from hurting others unnecessarily and impinging on others' freedom) and laws against using cell phones while driving (which stops people from hurting others unnecessarily and from impinging on others' freedom not to be hurt by stupid actions)?

: Because it comes down to degree.

Precisely my point! But deciding degree is a matter of opinion. In the case of society, government's role is to decide on the degree of various actions that might be proposed to be restricted.

: You ARE allowed to defend yourself, usually with at least as much force/threat as you are faced with (in Canada anyway) up to killing someone.

That's good. Apparently in the UK, you're not allowed to defend yourself.

: You ARE allowed to drink and drive in many jurisdictions including BC up to .08 blood/alcohol level. You are allowed to smoke in public places all over the world, though many jurisdictions restrict doing so inside buildings, planes, restaurants.

Right, but I'm talking about impaired to the degree that most everyone would agree is over the top. And who is it that decided on these standards? Government officials. For whatever reason, they've decided that .08 blood alchol should be the dividing line between legally DUI and not. There has to be some definite line; otherwise no one could objectively decide whether a person was impaired or not. By impaired, I certainly don't mean something black and white, but something with shades of gray. This dividing line is not arbitrary, but has been chosen based on the experience of officials who've measured the performance of people who've drunk alcohol. I think that everyone would agree that a blood level of .5 would be way too high. So who would you propose to set the line? You? Me? How about the government officials we pay to make such decisions?

You seem not to like dividing lines, and I agree that they often don't make sense, but they're still necessary. That's why the legal dividing line between adult and child is 18 years of age, and there's another one at age 21 for drinking alcohol and smoking. Without objective dividing lines like this, it would be impossible to decide about many important things.

: Cell phones are not black and white dangerous all the time for everyone.

Nor is a blood alcohol level of .08. The point is that a degree of impairment occurs in both situations. Government has a responsibility to determine where to draw an objective dividing line.

There's an obvious difference between using alcohol and cell phones while driving. You can drink varying degrees of alcohol, but there are no degrees of cell phone use: either you're connected or you're not. That's why the dividing line with respect to cell phone use has to be either you're allowed to use it or you're not. Surely you wouldn't propose testing people for ability to multitask.

It's obvious that many people are severely impaired when they drive while talking on a cell phone. Do you think that they should be allowed to endanger other people? I don't. If you do, then please explain why.

I guarantee that if your ox were gored by some asshole driving while on a cell phone, you'd have no difficulty agreeing that such dangerous action should be prohibited, the same as you'd be outraged if your kid were killed by a drunk driver.

Some people are able to drive fairly well while talking on a cell phone. But governments need to set standards that are objectively applicable to the average person. That's why speed limits are set very low in the U.S. and Canada. U.S. and Canadian drivers are generally atrocious, and not well able to drive at speeds that, say, Germans generally have no trouble with. Setting a limit of 160 kph is no problem in Germany, but would increase the death toll hugely in the U.S. and Canada. BTW, I tend to drive at 20-25 kph over the limit, so I'm not arguing this point from a conservative driving viewpoint. I tend to scare people with speed. :-)

: It comes down to acceptable risk for governments.

Exactly. And I'm proposing that governments should declare that drivers impaired by using cell phones present unnecessary risks to others.

: If I get the feel of what you are saying, then you should also support a complete ban on driving over 50km/h because if we all did that and it was enforced, virtually NO people (out of tens of thousands in NA) would be killed in cars EVER again!

Not at all, because to me (and obviously to most governments) the risks of high speed driving don't outweigh the benefits. If it were up to me, speed limits would be about 25% higher. On the other hand, the risks of talking on a cell phone while driving don't outweigh the benefits. If you disagree, then explain exactly what benefits you get, and weigh them against the demonstrated risk that you'll kill someone. In particular, account for the fact that it's a lot harder to spot a driver at the .08% blood alcohol limit than it is to spot a driver impaired by a cell phone, and explain why the severe impairment imparted by cell phone use is ok and the less severe impairment of the .08% limit isn't. Or do you think that the limit should be raised to be commensurate with the risks of cell phone use?

:: Where does your freedom to swing your arm end?

: How far out are you allowed to stick your nose to get in the way of my swinging arm?

Please answer the question.

AlanF

• minimus
    minimus

"A driver impaired by a cellphone".....Fill in the blanks_______.....by a noisy child, a crying baby, a too slow driver in front of him, a hot coffee, a singing car tunes driver, a "woman driver" ......"A driver can be impaired" by anything. Yup, even a telephone. Alan, when you drive with others in a car, do you talk to them while driving? Do you realize that this could be very dangerous, even life-threatening? Why not propose a law making it an offense to talk (period) to anyone if you are driving a car? I know of someone who just totaled a car because she was talking to her child and didn't pay attention. Talking is the problem, it seems. Nah, it's not talking, it's paying attention. I do believe that you can do more than 2 things at once. I know I can. My position is pretty clear, imo. I feel that because some people might get into an accident because they are talking on a cellphone, it doesn't mean everyone should be banned from having the right to speak to another. Rather than try to legislate and force new rules and laws, drive carefully and talk to a passenger, child , work associate or friend.....By the way I don't think police roadblocks to try to catch drunk drivers is right, either.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Alan, when you drive with others in a car, do you talk to them while driving? Do you realize that this could be very dangerous, even life-threatening?

See my earlier post to this thread min.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit