Should Hand Held Cell Phones be Outlawed While Driving??

by minimus 140 Replies latest jw friends

• boa
    boa

Amen Jahna!

• AlanF
    AlanF

Boa, I agree with you and Jahna that in principle the best way to handle this issue, and other driving issues, would be to better enforce existing laws against stupid behavior. The problem is between principle and practice. Let me give you an example.

The other day I was driving on a local two-lane-in-each-direction road here in town. The speed limit is an artificially low 40 mph, so I usually go just under 50, along with about half the other drivers. I came up behind two cars, one in each lane, going at about 30 mph. Both were sort of wandering back and forth between the edges of the lanes. Finally the one in the left lane violently accelerated to 35, leaving enough room for me to pass on the right. Both drivers turned out to be on their cellphones, oblivious to the world. Other drivers quickly passed, again on the right.

I see this kind of thing constantly. I have yet to see a cop do anything about it. They're far more likely to give you a ticket for passing on the right, or for speeding up to pass, than to ticket the culprits who create dangerous situations in the first place.

Given all this, how would you propose to educate the police and most drivers better? How would you deal with a court situation where, if the drivers I described above were ticketed for being distracted, and their defense to the judge was, "But your honor! I wasn't doing anything dangerous! I was driving well under the speed limit!" Remember that most judges are extremely conservative and equate slow driving with safe driving.

There are plenty of other examples of stupid driving. U.S. and Canadian drivers tend to have no concept of "drive on the right except to pass". They could take a cultural lesson from Europeans on this. Colorado recently enacted a law requiring this, but I'll have a canary if I hear of anyone actually getting busted for breaking it. This is a good example of where common sense ought to reign, but usually doesn't. That's why a law was passed, because of the havoc wrought by stupid highway drivers who plod slowly along in the left lane, forcing others to pass on the right to get around them. Another example is where you're driving in the left lane a bit above the speed limit and some moron in the right lane pulls out just in front of you, going 20 mph slower. You have to brake hard, and so does a line of cars behind you, creating an extremely dangerous situation. That driver failed to yield right of way, but I have yet to see any of these morons get ticketed for it. What would the situation be if there weren't even a specific law about right of way?

AlanF

• Dan-O
    Dan-O
    The other day I was driving on a local two-lane-in-each-direction road here in town. The speed limit is an artificially low 40 mph, so I usually go just under 50, along with about half the other drivers.

So, if I understand this correctly, Alan, you support the development of more government regulations which you and about half of the other citizens will blatantly ignore and disobey once you decide that the law is too restrictive?

• AlanF
    AlanF

Exactly, Dan-O. But I expect to get ticketed on occasion. Remember what another poster said: Often speed limits are set artificially low, not because of safety concerns, but to generate revenue through fines.

I take it you scrupulously obey all traffic regulations, no matter what.

Remember that we're talking about safety here, and common sense -- not about obeying every jot and tittle of the law.

AlanF

• Farkel
    Farkel

Howdy Alan,

I find Northern California and Pacfic Northwest to be among the most aggressive drivers I've ever seen. In Northern California, if you are going 75 mph on a 65 mph freeway, you might as well be standing still. If you go 65 mph as limited by law, you are taking your life in your hands.

Except for more cases of road rage, people on the Northern end of the left coast could take a lot of lessons from the drivers in Southern California. They are a lot safer and more defensive there.

Utah drivers suck, too!

Farkel

• Dan-O
    Dan-O
    I take it you scrupulously obey all traffic regulations, no matter what.

LMAO! Alan, I'm lucky in some respects, because the State of Indiana has not enacted these silly regulations governing cell phone use. And my truck is exempt from seat belt laws. But I regularly bend the other rules, especially the speed limit.

I just find it ironic that you endorse additional legislation while selectively rejecting existing laws as being 'artificially restrictive'.

• AlanF
    AlanF

It's not ironic at all, Dan-O. It's about common sense in general, and in particular what I call common sense about obeying traffic laws. Sometimes, common sense suggests that disobeying certain traffic regulations is ok. Note Farkel's example. Also note again what I said:

"Remember that we're talking about safety here, and common sense -- not about obeying every jot and tittle of the law."

I think that legislation, with specified penalties, is sometimes necessary to remind or force people to act in accord with what ought to be common sense. Common sense tells you not to drive drunk, but it took some draconian laws (which end up costing people many thousands of dollars for violating) to get a lot of people to quit.

AlanF

• minimus
    minimus

A person might think THEY have common sense and thus can disobey the law. Tell that to the cop or judge. Now that's funny! I can see why we're on opposing sides on this issue. once again, you think you know better than everyone else.....Alan, I'll bet you're a lousy driver.

• Valis
    Valis

as a motorcycle driver I would say yes! .....and a regular traveler I would say hell yes! Shut your goddam mouth/cell phone off and drive. Otherwise pull over if you need to talk on the phone. Some of the crappiest driving I have encountered is when people are on phones. grrrr...Maybe I will join MADD...Mothers Against Dumb Dialers...*LOL*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• minimus
    minimus

I'll start my own group----Cellphone Lovers In Trouble----

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit