Should Hand Held Cell Phones be Outlawed While Driving??

by minimus 140 Replies latest jw friends

• boa
    boa

AlanF

Boa, I agree with you and Jahna that in principle the best way to handle this issue, and other driving issues, would be to better enforce existing laws against stupid behavior. The problem is between principle and practice. Let me give you an example.
    I see this kind of thing constantly. I have yet to see a cop do anything about it. They're far more likely to give you a ticket for passing on the right, or for speeding up to pass, than to ticket the culprits who create dangerous situations in the first place.
    Given all this, how would you propose to educate the police and most drivers better? How would you deal with a court situation where, if the drivers I described above were ticketed for being distracted, and their defense to the judge was, "But your honor! I wasn't doing anything dangerous! I was driving well under the speed limit!" Remember that most judges are extremely conservative and equate slow driving with safe driving.

I concur police are far more likely to lay a charge on something that is easily defendable in court and 'Drive Without Due Care and Attention' is not so easily defined or defended. At the same time, I suppose the charge could be laid and as evidence, either an admission by the driver or the officer's observation would be used.

On the other hand, there are many many specific laws on the books that are difficult or frustrating to enforce and a cell-phone law may sound like the answer but would be a pain in the ass to deal with since a glance by a cop driving past someone could be anything held up to the ear. Or, the phone could conveniently dissappear long before an officer got turned around and went through all the effort to stop the alleged violator.

The only real use for such a law would be when erratic driving is noticed by an officer AND he is able to without reasonable doubt PROVE a cell phone was at the ear of the driver at the time. If he can do this much, he could also lay the other, already existing charge. To me, a cell phone ban would mostly be an ad campaign that would educate more people to the dangers of their use while driving which in turn may prevent some accidents, not necessarily a bad thing on the surface, but then ALL use is forbidden and there are times as discussed at length where I think it is an acceptable risk.

boa....who thinks slow drivers should be banned.....especially those who try to enforce the law (not their GD job!) by driving exactly the speed limit in the LEFT lane! Even the police say - DON'T DO THIS!

• undercover
    undercover

Interesting debate. I am quick to say "ban em all" when it comes to cell phones, but how do you police it? What about lip-stick put-er-on-ers and coffee drinkers and smokers and newspaper readers and doughnut eaters(oh wait, that's the cops).

Instead of making a law against things like cell phones and worrying about speeding, traffic cops should be looking for stupid and dangerous drivers. If your in the left lane going below the speed limit while talking on the phone, you get a ticket. You stop at the bottom of an accleration lane(hello! it's called "accleration". step on the damn gas peddle) you get a ticket. The list goes on and on. Odds are most people won't get caught while doing these stupid manuevers, so what you have to do is when they either finally get caught or cause an accident(and we hope no one is hurt) that the stupid driver is heavily fined and penalized. Over time, people will realize that driving is not something you do while doing other things, it's something that should take your complete concentration and attention while doing it and they can't afford to be messing around or it's going to cost them plenty.

Not everyone is a professional driver, but if we pay attention to our driving, focus on the job at hand, watch out ahead, watch for dangerous situations, be prepared to avoid those situations(not just slamming on brakes at the last second), most accidents could be avoided. But because most people don't do those things, or they're trying to multi-task while driving, they either cause a serious situation that people who are paying attention have to work extra hard to avoid or they cause an accident (usually with another somebody not paying attention).

• minimus
    minimus

This is just too emotional an issue.

• Soledad
    Soledad

well, I really wish people would have more common sense. I'm not crazy about having more laws. but some people are just so hoighty-toighty and think they can get away with whatever.............

about 7 years ago I was rear-ended on a highway on ramp by a car that was rear-ended by another car whose driver was on a cell phone (an SUV---I hate people who drive those!!). He decided to leave the scene. I got a good look and the car and the driver. I got out of my car to check on the lady behind me, who was elderly. Then I looked behind her car. Her rear window was shattered, but no other major damage. My car wasn't damaged. I looked to the right of her car, guess what I saw? The license plate of the car who hit us!! I decided that he should pay---steeply----for taking off after he hit us!!

3 weeks after the incident I got a nice $5000 check in the mail

• minimus
    minimus

Yeah!! There should be a law against SUVs!! (not cellphones).

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

I think Minimus' position is inconsistant. One one hand he's happy for laws to be introduced to ban SUV's, but on the other derides those who'd ban the dangerous practice of talking on cell phones on the basis of personal freedoms and to limit the supposed proliferation of laws on everyday choices. Which will it be Miniums?

Max - writing with mock severity :-)

BTW, I found the accident report for the plane that crashed. The pilot let people use cell phones in flight and his own cell phone was on (accidently or not) for an unsuccessful landing. The call was terminated just after impact. 6 of the 8 on board died.

Someone above said you can use cell phones in flight - NO!!

They usually work, but are banned at all times on passenger aircraft. Portable eletronic equipment can be turned on once the aircraft has leveled out. I fly too much (my FF points will now take me around the world business class!) and can recite the safety announcments and have witnessed flight attendants on witch hunts after hearing a phone ring!

• minimus
    minimus

Ban everything and pay a fine too!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Die thread! DIE!!!!

• minimus
    minimus

Dan, you're too funny. I hope you don't drive an SUV.

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

Now you're talking Min!! Can I set the rules? Max - LOL! 'The best government is a benevolent dictatorship. That's OK so long as I can be the dictator - otherwise give me democracy'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit