Should Hand Held Cell Phones be Outlawed While Driving??

by minimus 140 Replies latest jw friends

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    That's the point, Cas. I don't want to outlaw most of the things that a driver COULD do that MIGHT be dangerous. Good common sense comes in the picture again. If a person is impaired by drugs or alcohol,

But Min my point is it's no longer a question of 'might' it's a proven fact that those who are on cell phones kill themselves and others. Why should you or anyone be allowed to take a chance which could kill me or my children?

You may very well be a driver who can multi task and I would not have to worry about you killing me. It's the other millions of drivers whose driving abilities are impared who scare the hell out of me.

Cassi

• minimus
    minimus

Simply getting behind a wheel CAN kill you and others....So no one should drive??

• jgnat
    jgnat

Perhaps a better law is to insist that drivers be unimpaired by anything when driving.

Superior Communications : 01452SCB : Superior Communications 01452SCB Universal Cradle with Cupholder Mount

How about a cell-phone mount, allowing handsfree conversation?

• minimus
    minimus

Why, simply talking could get a driver distracted. So I think there would be opponents for that too.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    Simply getting behind a wheel CAN kill you and others....So no one should drive?

There are risks associated with everything, why up the risk? Would you mind if the pilot of the 747 you were flying on to England was having a personal conversation on a cell phone and not watching the controls as he should, putting your life at a higher risk? Or would that upset you? Cassi

• Dan-O
    Dan-O
    So no one should drive??

There we go. Let's ban all motor vehicles. The heck with it ... this Thanksgiving, when I want to enjoy a baked turkey and some fresh pie with Mom .. I'll walk to Texas. As a matter of fact, I'll start walking now. I wanna make sure I'm there on time.

• minimus
    minimus

I think the pilots have auto-pilot for a reason.... I don't think that they couldn't talk by radio to anyone (obviously). Do you think they stay totally focused without radioing regularly?

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    I think the pilots have auto-pilot for a reason.... I don't think that they couldn't talk by radio to anyone (obviously). Do you think they stay totally focused without radioing regularly?

You did not answer my question. They talk on a radio to assure your safety and that of the other passengers. Let me ask again.... Cars do not have auto pilot and the plane is not on auto pilot all the time. How about landing Min? Would you allow them to speak on a cell phone to their wife about her affair last night while landing that plane you are on? Or would you lobby for pilots to take that risk with your life? Cassi

• minimus
    minimus

My answer is, I think they do talk about ANYTHING while landing. It doesn't upset me if the pilot is flying a plane and talking too. I have seen pilots that I thought were a bit inebriated flying a plane. Now that bothered me. But, I'm not concerned if a pilot is having a conversation with a co-pilot or anyone else. (I think it's done all the time). Go rent yourself AIRPLANE.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Actually, besides takeoff and landing, flying doesn't take a continuous focus. In driving a car, you have to continuously focus on keeping it between the lines, off the bumper in front of you, under the speed limit, watch for obstacles. Autopilot does most of that for flyers.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit