Should Hand Held Cell Phones be Outlawed While Driving??

by minimus 140 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

I work by a very busy intersection. In the whole week at my new job :), I have avoided being run down twice by a cell phone user who was running the red light. Yes.

In both cases, I noted they were not paying attention. The second guy ran it a full two seconds after the light turned red, and he was moving. Had I stepped out into the crosswalk as soon as the light changed, he would have mowed me down.

When I bicycled to work for six weeks during the bus drivers' strike, I was run off the road (illegally) three times by cell phone users. In one of these cases, I had to run up over the curb to avoid a woman talking on her phone, while yelling at her two kids in the back seat. In the middle of one of our biggest intersections. I fell and injured my knee. Was not impressed at all.

And yes, I did it myself in the past. Used the phone while driving. Guilty. But I will not do it again. Pull over, please. Don't have an accident on your conscience for the sake of being available every second of the day. Take a break from it while you drive. Focus.

A car can be a dangerous weapon. It only takes a split second, and life as you know it, could be over.

And that's my public service announcement for the day. heheh Sorry, Minimus. :s

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    If everyone had a good measure of common sense, we wouldn't need 90% of the laws on the books. AlanF

Exactly. How many people have to die before we realize "common sense" isn't so common

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

If I had a dollar for every time someone on their cell phone almost caused an accident, I would be as filthy Rich as The WTBTS! There have been countless times when someone is talking on their phone, the light turns green, but they are so engrossed in the conversation that they don't even realize they should be moving. Another bad one is talking while driving on the highway, the person talking can't even stay in their own lane, because they are either too busy talking, or too busy dialing. Cell phones have become a part of life, and it will be hard to outlaw them on the road. People will use them anyways. I just wish people were more responsible, and realize that driving is serious business, and pay attention more to the road.

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

What's wrong with more laws? I say give as as many law as we need to increase the common good.

If the quantity of laws is a problem, we'd do better to repeal some old ones rather than ignore new hazzards in the name of some silly, ignorant, stupid notion that it's always bad to make new laws when new dangers and hazzards come along.

We should outlaw anything that uses the driver's while operating a motor vehicle such as cell phones, make-up application, coffee, smoking etc. A fine of about US$200, or US$600 if they are involved in an accident (their fault or not), would be about right I reckon.

Max

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

It is "verboten" here in Germany. When caught you have to pay 40 EUR and get an entry into the central database.

• Mac
    Mac

No.....I think they should be outlawed while in session!

mac

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    We should outlaw anything that uses the driver's while operating a motor vehicle such as cell phones, make-up application, coffee, smoking etc. A fine of about US$200, or US$600 if they are involved in an accident (their fault or not), would be about right I reckon.

How much if you kill someone in that accident? How important aside from an emergency ( 911 related where you most likely would pull over anyway) is it to take or make a call while driving? Really can someone explain this to me?

Subject of banning children from cars? Might as well take away all family vacations and doctor's visits while your at it.

Makeup application-- Yes it's stupid.

Shaving with an electric razor-- Yes it's stupid.

I wonder if there are stats of the accidents which have gone up over the years since cells became popular. Perhaps if this were presented and one could see a trend then many would understand the need for such.

I honestly do not see the reason for phone use while driving a piece of deadly equiptment.

Cassi

• Mac
    Mac
    Shaving with an electric razor-- Yes it's stupid

My thoughts exactly Cass!!!

mac, of the gets a much closer cut with a blade class!!

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

LOL Mac!!!

• Cassiline

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit