Subtle Propaganda at DC -but Noticeable To Us

by Had Enough 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

Hi all:

As I’ve mentioned in other posts, I felt obligated to go to the DC (in Hamilton) this weekend to help my family with my aging mom, who in my opinion just goes for the social outing because she is physically not able to stay awake for more that 1/5 th of the whole sessions – except intermissions.

I know others have posted their observations of the DC they attended but I’d like to make an addition from things that just jumped right out at me and made me go ARGGGGHHHHH!

And btw….I felt some of the comments made seemed to be as though they were answering their justification of some of the things being brought out on the internet, including here.

On Friday, even in talks that were not about higher education, they managed to slip in their subtle propaganda, as in:

- Bob Alton, said Peter and John were outspoken about God’s Word and were unlettered and ordinary men – they didn’t need higher education to speak wondrous things of God. - right…we need an education to live!

- Walker from the Canadian Bethel (honestly sounded like he had false teeth slipping or something, as he kept slurring words like “shripture” over and over ) He said we need to be “adequately qualified” to preach, from greek word meaning “competent” and these qualifications do not come from higher schooling, but from God and also higher learning uses teachers who lack genuine respect for God’s word

- Emphasized June 15, 2001 WT – our emphasis should be on satisfaction of daily necessities, not pursuing added comforts which of course would come if we had better jobs we were trained for.

- Also brought in the inevitable experience of one who took post-secondary course in landscaping (sounded apologetic and embarrassed to admit it) BUT he got a full-time job doing something else (what?), pursued his own pleasures like skateboarding and other things – too busy for much service – felt guilty - took part-time hours to pioneer and now has 4 bible studies – Waahoo!!! (so I guess that means even higher education doesn’t mean a better job.)

Also said that many have “changed their ways” when being instructed in God’s word , from being revilers, drunkards and “murderers”. – does this mean then that it’s OK to hide from the authorities if you are wanted for murder and then become a JW ? Hmmmmmm preparing for the flack from the letter posted on the internet?????

Oppose The Devil – certain attitudes invite an assault by the devil such as independent thinking, bitterness, faultfinding, critical attitude toward elders and org – very dangerous For who? Us or the reputation of the org. - maybe we’ll find out something we’re not supposed to know about the org.--like most of us have.

Wolfy described Sunday’s program very well – I took notes of the dialogue used in the DRAMA and found the subtle propaganda in it very interesting:

First of all – the dress was very obvious (at least to those of us with our eyes open)

All those supporting Moses (and on God’s side) were dressed in modest cotton outfits of bland tones, had a humble demeanor, pleading with the others to not oppose God BUT …..

All those, (especially the women), opposing Moses and following Korah and Dathan were dressed in beautiful dresses of shiny silky material, gold jewelry, gold belts, gobs of extravagant makeup, strutted and flaunted themselves and acted haughty and the main opposer, a cousin of the sons of Korah, ranted and raved and wildly flung his arms around looking like a mad fool.

As for the dialogue – the narrator, a son of Korah who refuses to go along with his father’s opposition says things like:

“Moses and Aaron have not set themselves above the congregation. Following them means following God.
    Yes they are imperfect and make mistakes, but they have learned lessons from their mistakes.
    We are not following a man – are obeying God’s appointment of them.
    Korah has wrong motives – likes attention – not content with being a servant.”

Opposers start mumbling – “time for a change. Why should Aaron be appointed High Priest? Next High Priest will be half my age.”

Argue that they are leaving Moses. They feel they are no longer deceived by his words. They complain that Moses claims God only directs them through him. Question: How do we know God has chosen Moses – Aren’t Dathan and Korah also of “older men”.

END RESULT: they were warned the opposers will be swallowed up by the earth while still alive. So Korah and 250 followers were consumed by fire for jealousy, pride and ambition against God.

Korah’s son, the narrator, condemns the actions of his father. HE chose loyalty to God. Loyalty to family should not affect, or detract from, our loyalty to God

How obvious was all that?!!!!

So the SUMMARY added:
    -Disrespect for God’s appointed (sounds like anointed?) like Korah had was struggling against God.
    -Speaking abusively against appointed (again like anointed?) is speaking against God.
    -They are imperfect men but they do have their responsibility from God. There is no excuse to oppose them.
    -We do not know all the facts or circumstances, so we best leave business to appointed (anointed)
    -We should recognize God’s arrangement is by holy spirit and he directs us through those appointed.

-"Didn’t God know beforehand that Brother Imperfect was imperfect? Yes God can provide us what is needed".

I just kept shaking my head over and over, picking up on these obvious statements. It’s like they’re saying: "Here’s God’s answer to anything you may mistakenly read on the internet or hear from an apostate or any lies from the news"

Don’t all of you reading this just want to rush out to the DA nearest you next weekend?

Had Enough

....There was more on Canadian statistics that I particularly found interesting I’ll post in another thread.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Thanks had enough.

I am sooo glad you have woken up and can see thru the fog (con).

How is the GTA doing these days???

Hey, did my good buddie Zenon Bodnaruk, Director of the evil Canadian HIS show up? Grrrrrr.....

Look forward to the numbers.

hawk

• larc
    larc

Had Enough,

Quite something all right.

I will only comment on one of their statements, the one about professors not having respect for God's word. What does their respect or lack of respect have to do with anything? 99% of the course work has nothing to do with the Bible, profs aren't there to push their religion or lack therof. People who make foolish statements from stage to the rank and file ought to actually sit in a college class room once in their life before they open their mouth.

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

Hello larc:

My thoughts exactly. Why should the intructors talk about their belief in, or lack of, in God. And also...on what do they base this statement...have they done a survey...can they prove this statement?

Hi hawkaw:

Sorry...I don't know Zenon Bodnaruk...who is he?

As for the GTA...am close to it but don't go there much...

And the stats I'll post were just a comment made it seems to counter the damage done by the statements of the Canadian Bethel a month ago that I posted here about their concern for the drop.....All of a sudden we're just doing peachy fine.

Had Enough

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Boy, it seems that the Drama is really scaring you apostates.

• Simon
    Simon

Ah... the Korah drama... brings back memories...

I think it was at Bolton many years ago where the football pitch (that's soccer to our American friends) was raised up several feet with a slope going down to the side. When the 'earth swallowed them up' the players all rolled down it giving a fantastic optical special effect to all the people on the statium on the other end of the field.

Of course this was the only good thing about the assembly that I can remember...

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Hello All,

While I sympathize with what you are saying here and agree that the language is loaded, I’m not so sure that they are responding to what goes on here or elsewhere on the net (Let’s not think too much of ourselves).

The DA language sounds to me much like the language I heard as a boy and young adult 50 and more years ago. They were knocking college professors then for their lack of respect for the Bible, for their teaching of evolution, for their reliance on science to give them answers to questions/problems facing society.

Much of it sounds like same ol’ same ol’ to me rather than a response to the efforts here, especially about higher education. That has been a sore spot with them for decades.

Regards,

Sam Beli

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Zenon is the director for the Hospital Information Service out of Georgetown.

hawkaw

• rem
    rem

Had Enough,

It was difficult for me to hold back glad-bags of vomit during the not-so-subtle propaganda piece known as the eagerly awaited drama. It was so obvious that the Society was equating Moses with the FDS and Korah with evil, disgusting apostates motivated only by pride. The message was so thick - in fact the whole morning message was so thick with propaganda that one of my best Witness friends even complained that they were coming down way too hard and that the parts were unusually harsh.

The lesson was this: Don't question God's appointed servants (FDS). The only possible motive anyone (apostates) could have to question God's appointed servants is Pride.

I guess the hallmark of good propaganda is the fact that indoctrinated listeners don't recognize it as such. Only a few years ago I would have sucked this crap up as coming from God's appointed slave without question. It's amazing what a little perspective and education will do.

rem

• Moxy
    Moxy

i agree. there is a tendency to think the talks are responding to things you read about here because that's what on your mind and you pick up on that. i doubt that this is really the case, except indirectly. without having heard the program yet myself of course, i can't say much. i will probably make some comments after next weekend.

mox

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit