Cooking Ideas

by desib77 78 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

In the morning, put a small pot roast in the crock pot (or a large one if it fits), add a package of onion soup mix and water..............probably do that first..............about one cup of water) Put the lid on and forget about it.

When ready to eat, pour the liquid into a saucepan and thicken it for gravy. It's yummy. For a change, you can add a little red wine before you cook, or a can of chopped tomatoes.

I cook it on high all day.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Ok Desib,

You already know that I passed through Louisana last week.........................now we are all coming to the dinner you will prepare for everyone on this board..........right? And not KFC! I'll bring water.....someone else will bring bread.......and we will all bring an appitite................... Chompy

HappyDad (Bill)

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Valis mea Culpa

• desib77
    desib77
    You already know that I passed through Louisana last week.........................now we are all coming to the dinner you will prepare for everyone on this board..........right? And not KFC!

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Valis makes a dang good yummy Ceasar Salad

• Lehaa
    Lehaa

I have a slow cooker also and use it all the time, cook roasts, casseroles, soups, spaghetti sauces, everything in it.

Easiest thing to cook is a roast. Throw the meat in the slow cooker in the morning, by dinner time its cooked. Then just cook your spuds in the oven, steam some veggies. Use the juices from the cooked meat to make gravy, i use and instant gravy mix to do this. Carve maet and serve.

I also cook a great chicken in white wine.

Cut chicken fillets into bite size pieces, toss in flour. Brown chicken in a large non stick frypan. Pour in a cup of white wine, a cup of chicken stock and some herbs, i usually use parsley and rosemary. Throw in a cup of frozen veggies. Place lid on and simmer gently for about 15 minutes or untill chicken is cooked. Cook some rice, following directions on packet. Serve chicken over rice. Done. Usually takes me about 30 minutes from start to finish.

I tend to use a lot of frozen veggies, they make things a lot faster and easier.

• bem
    bem

Hi Desib,I'm late getting in on this also ( work). But cooking is one of my favorite subjects. Started out at a young age 9...lived on a farm and had to work with my step-dad so I made a deal with my mom ,you go work with him and I'll do the cooking and house work! trust me it was a great trade off! Kinda scared the farm hands at first but after a few meals they looked forward to it. Then cooked for years as a living. Always cooked every meal as the kids were growing up!

My son really likes this recipe it is his signature meal...

Lasagne

He cooks his lasanga noodles in boiling salted water in a very large pot, cook till just soft not really to the doneness you would eat...

Brown ground beef 2# drain......... He buys canned prepared spaghetti or an italian sauce...... mix about 12 oz.sauce in with the cooked meat.....

Buy grated mozarrella or grate your own.12 oz.... 1# container Ricotta cheese( or cottage cheese) Ricotta looks better not as milky.

In a pan the length of the lasagna noodles in alternating layers place a layer of the meat If you really like the sauce pour more on then a single layer of noodles...layer of ricotta...sprinkle on mozzarella...keep adding layers till ingrediants are used.Bake at 350* till bubbly check at 10 to 15 minute intervals.Top should be a little brown. I'm always hearing that my daughter -in-law has taken the dish towel off the smoke detector. so your not alone in the warning department.... great with French bread. and a salad. Of course the Okie version goes great with fried potatoes & cooked green beans.

I agree with the other folks. Grilling is always good, forman grill is great, but if you can have an out-door grill.I prefer wood or if you have to charcoal. as opposed to gas but just MHO.... takes a while to get the knack but you will...

I have lots of easy dessert recipes if you want pm me and I'll share. I'm sending you a pm of a magazine that will help you step by step.

Don't know about you Desib but I would be interested in Valis recipe/version of Ceaser Salad tried different ones but none that really say yes thats it.now thats ceaser......whatcha say Valis?

Thanks for the thread btw.

• Valis
    Valis

ya know...when you make lasagna you don't even have to cook the noodles...just use a little extra sauce...and make extra for the eating cuz the lasagna will gobble up the liquid..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Oh, yeah, speaking of crockpots (I keep forgetting to ask), anybody seen the one I loaned FMZ for the chili cookoff? Is it still at West End Pub or at Valis' house?

Nina

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

You can't get much easier than this:

INGREDIENTS:4 boneless chicken breast halves
    1 1/2 cups picante sauce
    3 tbsp. packed light brown sugar
    1 tbsp. prepared mustard

DIRECTIONS:

PLACE chicken in 2-qt. shallow baking dish. Mix picante sauce, sugar and mustard. Pour over chicken.

BAKE at 400°F. for 20 min. or until done. Serve with rice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit