Cooking Ideas

by desib77 78 Replies latest jw friends

• desib77
    desib77

Okay, the thread on budgeting and money made me start thinking. The thing my husband I spend the most money on is eating out. There is one very good reason for this, I can't cook. Believe me, I've tried but there are very few things I can cook that actually turn out edible (although I make a mean bowl of Captain Crunch ) Also, my husband is a very picky eater. He doesn't care for things that are easy like, um, hamburger helper, tuna helper.....anything helper.... I would like to start cutting down on our eating out and attempting to cook meals at home.

Anyone have suggestions on things that are easy to prepare? Any favorite recipes?

• Valis
    Valis

Well desi, what are some of his faves?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• desib77
    desib77

Well, pretty much anything sweet. He loves chinese food and has a bad sweet tooth. Other than that he is pretty picky.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

I hate to cook too, but I get tired of the same ole and going out to eat really does eat into a budget. Here's some things I like to make:

half a pound of velveeta, a pound of hamburger, and two cans of Rotel Italian diced tomattos. Brown meat, garlic the hell out of it, add velveeta, add rotal, simmer until it makes a big yellowy non-newtonian fluid. Pour over smashed up doritos. Voila.. Memphis Rotel Dip

----------------

anotker thing I like to make that is really fast is pan blackened shrimp.a cajon friend of mine got me into that. You shell a bunch of shrimp, and get some cajun seasoning and get a cast iron skillit.

Heat up the skillet so hot its almost red. While it's heating up do this next part

Peel the shrimp if they arent already. Then mix up the shrimps with some virgin olive oil so they are oily and very sticky. After that add a bunch of cajun seasongs into them. You can get the seasonings individually but there is a Chef Paul Prudhomme brand that's already mixxed up and pretty cheap. The shrimp should be completely covered in the seasonings.

Then dump then into this skillet. let it cook, but watch it because it's very fast. It only takes a minute or two at most, but it varies depending on the heat, so cook both sides until they are blackened. They will be seared and ready to eat, and it only takes a few minutes of actual cooking and preparation time, unless you have to peel the shrimp. Boil up some corn on the cob for veggies with it.

• Valis
    Valis

why not making some stuff in the slow cooker like short ribs, hot wings, etc..easy to do and can cook while you're doing other stuff..

http://www.crockerykitchen.com/

http://southernfood.about.com/library/crock/blcpidx.htm

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• desib77
    desib77

Thanks gitasatsangha, those sound really good. My husband loves shrimp and since I live in Louisiana cajun seasonings are everywhere.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

desi, just make sure you got your windows open and your fan on full blast before trying it. my neighbors actually thought my house was on fire first time i cooked it.

I forgot to add, i poor in a bit of extra olive oil when I put the shrimp in, but that is just me.

• desib77
    desib77
    why not making some stuff in the slow cooker like short ribs, hot wings, etc..easy to do and can cook while you're doing other stuff..

I fogot I even own one of those

• desib77
    desib77
    desi, just make sure you got your windows open and your fan on full blast before trying it. my neighbors actually thought my house was on fire first time i cooked it.

hehe, if my neighbors assumed that about me cooking, they may be right.

• Valis
    Valis

eh and some more from my room mate's cookbook.

Savory Hungarian Pot Roast

3 pound boneless pot roast (rump or Boston roasts are good)

¼ cup tarragon vinegar

¼ cup vegetable oil

¼ cup ketchup

2 tablespoons soy sauce

2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce

1 teaspoon of dried or 2 or 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary

½ teaspoon garlic powder

Brown meat in oil in Dutch oven. Salt.

Combine other ingredients and pour over meat.

Cover tightly and cook for about 1 ½ or 2 hours.

Check frequently. Add water, as needed.

Skim fat from top.

Serve liquid left after cooking as sauce to go over meat.

Serves 5 or 6 people.

Cranberry Chicken

Place 4 or 5 chicken breasts (boneless or boned, which ever you prefer) in a baking dish

Sprinkle with garlic powder.

Mix Together:

1 can whole cranberry sauce

1 bottle of Catalina Salad Dressing

1 envelope of dried onion soup mix

Pour mixture over chicken breasts. Cover with aluminum foil.

Place in refrigerator overnight.

Bake at 350 degrees one hour to 1½ hours.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit