Cooking Ideas

by desib77 78 Replies latest jw friends

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Cowboy:

How 'bout Rabbit Stew???

Aw, don't believe everything ya hear, ah don't get stewed THAT often...heheh

Desi,

I think Princess is letting you know something good cooks have found to be indespensible - browning. Heat a heavy pan purdy hot and sear/brown any kind of meat & even some veggies in a little oil...don't burn! Most of the fantastic flavors of the meats can happen here, boiling will never do as good a job. After you brown, not cook thru, then you can deglaze the pan - loosen all the scrapings that are carmelized, by pouring in a little water, broth, wine, etc. stir and scrape all the stickin's. Put everything in your slow cooker.

You'll be amazed at the difference in taste!

• Princess
    Princess
    Okay, another stupid question. You browned it on all sides? In a skillet? and then put it in the crock pot?

Not stupid at all, I was thinking I might need to clarify that. My favorite pan is a Wear-ever non-stick deep sided skillet. I spray it (or any non-stick skillet) with Pam and brown the meat on all sides. Like Rabbit said, you don't cook it through, you are just searing the outside until golden.

I just realized my recipe for the chicken that Dan-O posted is a bit different in that I use Dijon mustard instead of prepared.

• Valis
    Valis

also...applying a light sprinkle on the meat of flour before you brown it locks in the flavors even more..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Valis,

also...applying a light sprinkle on the meat of flour before you brown it locks in the flavors even more..

Amen...and the fixins for some good sauces, too

• desib77
    desib77

Another question:

Do spices go bad? I have a spice rack that I have had for a loooong time and I'm not sure if I should get rid of the spices.

• Princess
    Princess

They do lose their potency after some time. I think Martha recommends six months, hmmm...depends on the spice...I'll have to look it up.

• Princess
    Princess

This site has some info:

http://www.apinchof.com/storingdried1012.html

this one is better:

• desib77
    desib77

Thanks...

Guess I'll be cleanin' out that spice rack...

Picked up my pork tenderloin this evening, princess......can't wait to give it a try tomorrow.

Desi

• desib77
    desib77
    You can't get much easier than this:

INGREDIENTS:4 boneless chicken breast halves
    1 1/2 cups picante sauce
    3 tbsp. packed light brown sugar
    1 tbsp. prepared mustard

DIRECTIONS:

PLACE chicken in 2-qt. shallow baking dish. Mix picante sauce, sugar and mustard. Pour over chicken.

BAKE at 400°F. for 20 min. or until done. Serve with rice.

Trying this tonight...yum yum

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit