Finally!!! Run in with JWs...

by Tashawaa 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• Fed Up
    Fed Up

Lovely story,

I've always considered one of the biggest "perks" of having married my disfellowshipped JW husband is that since then, NO JWS have come knocking at our door!

• FreeToBeMe
    FreeToBeMe

Way to go Tashawaa, and its a credit to you that you've been able to react in such a way so soon. I cannot claim to have been so benevolent and would angrily chase them down my path for years after I left. Now I'm courteous and simply reserve my comments to a "No thank you" I used to add "I'm not interested" but that provided then with a route in with "you're not interested in living forever in paradise" to which I replied at the time "Not your interpretation of it". That successfuly ended the exchange. The courteous route has benn very successful over the years and on only one occasion has it been challenged when an over enthusiastic older JW woman literally put her foot across the threshold as I was closing the door. I felt the old red mist rising but simply kept my comment to a "if you don't move your foot you'll be hurt." She moved, the door closed. I know there are those that engage the JWs in debate (if you can call it that), I find that pointless, all it seems to do is provide them with an opportunity to further reinforce their assumed rightness in their dogma and they become more entrenched. A waste of my time and energies which are better served in helping those who have seen the 'truth' of the JW BOrg, and are looking to escape. Not that I tell them what to do, I just encourage the process they've already begun, provide sources of information and let them decide for themselves on what way out to choose. I found your posting refreshing, it's nice to know that there are others who don't feel a need to 'witness to witnesses', thank you.

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

Funny...I was thinking about this very thing while driving in to work this a.m.....I figure I'll at least throw a few 'conversation stoppers' at them and see how brushed up they are. I figure if I had to deal w/ it when I was in, then they should too....

Alternatively, I've thought about giving them that 'call to remember'....you know, say stuff like, "I was just praying for spiritual guidance" and let them come in and give me the whole nine yards....something to talk about at the 10:30 coffee break.

Eh, I'll probably be too hungover and just tell them 'no thanks' and shut the door.....

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Good for you, Tashawaa. It's good to keep in mind that the witnesses we encounter at our doors are, most likely, sincere in their beliefs, and feel that they are saving your life if they convert you. Probably the best chance we have to help them, in turn, is to be kind and respectful to them.

I encountered a couple of fist-waving, beligerent apostates when I was still a witness, and they alienated me to the point that I was just too scared to listen to them- just think, if they'd been as sweet as you were, I might have gotten myself out of that cult a few years earlier!

• Special K
    Special K

Sometimes just being 'out' is just a great thing.

Glad they didn't ruffle your feathers..

Must try that one with my kids. "I'm out"!.... lol

good stuff.

sincerely

Special K

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa

Thanks guys for the support

I guess I was surprised by my own reaction, so I wanted to share.

Insomiac - I know what you mean. I mean they were "right" to be out, but some of the confrontations just made me "stronger" in my line of thinking. One call that stands out in my head was a conversation I had with an athiest. He was kind, thoughtful... he listened. He asked questions that made me THINK. It didn't turn me right-there-and-then, but it did play a part in opening that closed littl' mind of mine

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I have been living here now for 3 1/2 years and they still havent come to my door, not even one tract-nada,zilch,zero I keep awaiting and anticipating the day when they finally ring my doorbell, Im still trying to figure out what to say to them, or how to act. I could always play the part of the nieve householder, or i could honestly be truthful up front with them an let them know how I really feel about the organization and its doctrines. I cant decide what to do, but im sure when the occasion presents itself I will know what to do.

Dave

• KIANAMARIE
    KIANAMARIE

MAYBE THIS IS JUST A SIGN THAT U MIGHT NEED TO SIT DOWN AND TALK TO THEM. 
    U MIGHT GET SOME QUESTIONS ANSWERED AND U MIGHT SEE THAT NOT ALL OF THEM ARE THE SAME.
    AS THEY SAY "THERE WILL BE SOME COVERED W/ LAMB FROSTING" BUT YET THEY ARENT.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim
    I continued on my walk. Pulled out a smoke and realized that I didn't need to engage them. Don't get me wrong - if one came to my door, and I could invite them in, and if I was in a fiester mood.... but on this particular morning, I felt good to be "OUT". I didn't need to tell her about the UN, or ask a question she couldn't answer.... I was just enjoying my reaction to them. There was none.

This, darlin, is a sign that you're really free I think.

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

Did you offer them a smoke? No? How rude......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit