Finally!!! Run in with JWs...

by Tashawaa 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa

I've lived here for about 1 1/2 years and haven't SEEN a single JW. I read all the posts where there have been run-ins, people called on, elders talked to, etc. and couldn't hardly wait for my turn. I imagined bringing up the UN, or child molestation, or old dates... whatever. I just imagined REALLY confronting one.

Yesterday morning, I headed out of my apt building. Two ladies are walking up the block. One is Philipino, around 40, and the other is in her 60's, white curly hair, sweater. Book bags hanging off the shoulder. The older lady has a cool book bag. A magazine size window is on the side of the bag, and she has inserted the newest issue of Watchtower there. I've never seen a bag like that before.

Its around 10:30am, I'm wearing shorts, a t-shirt, sunglasses, and carrying a pack of cigs in my hand. I'm heading out to a friends house to hang out a bit and go for lunch on a patio.

As they approach me, I got a feeling of total calm. No sweaty palms, no fast beating heart or anxiety. No anger.

The older lady approaches, while the Philipino lady walks towards the car - "Would you like some interesting reading material this morning?" and she starts to reach into her bag. I smiled and said a simple, "No thank you. But you have yourself a good morning."

I continued on my walk. Pulled out a smoke and realized that I didn't need to engage them. Don't get me wrong - if one came to my door, and I could invite them in, and if I was in a fiester mood.... but on this particular morning, I felt good to be "OUT". I didn't need to tell her about the UN, or ask a question she couldn't answer.... I was just enjoying my reaction to them. There was none.

This place has been a HUGE help in my overcoming past emotional, intelletual, social issues relating to my JW past.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Hope you had a nice lunch!

• jgnat
    jgnat

WoW! I love this story. Inner demons conquered, you brushed them off without a thought.

I hope you had a GREAT lunch!

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Good for you. I think that shows that you are healing. I do not know what it is, but the past 2 months, I have encountered them at the door, The post office, and the parking lot at the supermarket, it's like roaches coming outta the woodwork!. I likewise had fantasies of being not-so-nice, but when I was approached, I just said "No Thanks", and that was it, although afterwards, I thought to myself, Why did I let them off so easy!!! Maybe one day I will have some fun......

• observador
    observador
    I didn't need to tell her about the UN, or ask a question she couldn't answer.... I was just enjoying my reaction to them. There was none.

Very interesting reaction!

I had a similar experience once. I met a "brother" in a home improvement store and he greeted me nicely and I did the same to him. He never mentioned "jehovah" or "kingdom hall". I didn't either. We talked briefly as good old friends, as if I had never set foot in a KH.

I felt NO need to give him ANY explanation. My sense of calmess and control is due in part to the support of folks here. Thanks.

Observador.

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa
    Hope you had a nice lunch!

I had a great lunch!!! She's a great friend I've made since my move. After a year, I'm FINALLY building a social network. She just had a baby (single mom), and she's a professional I met through a work function. We had a couple of drinks, a few appetizers (ribs, hummus & pita, chicken rolls) and talked up a storm

I felt NO need to give him ANY explanation.

I think my feeling came from a deep satisfaction and enjoyment of being "worldly" ...

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Thats great I usually don't "engage" either but the other day I was headed from the store. It was meeting night and I saw in the rearview mirror a "brother" so we went about 2 miles an hour for about 2 miles LOL ROFLMAO....He was getting quite agitated......I know that was soooo mean but it made me laugh that inside he was cussing me out

• DireStraitJacket
    DireStraitJacket

I've bumped into a couple on the street doing field service, always saying that I'm not interested, and brushing them off when they ask why.
    What got to me was when this guy from some student church group came up to me and asked if I was religious at all, and I replied no, I've had bad experience with religion and now I avoid all of them, he asked what religion I was involved with. When I told him he said he had never heard of them, but his religion was really accepting of people and I should try attend a meeting on the sunday morning, all the people are really friendly and they don't ask for money. It sounded way to much like the jw's, he even followed me half a block before he seemed to notice I was ignoring him and gave up..
    They always seem to appear when you least expect them or want them to appear, when you feel like having an argument theres non in sight.

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa
    always saying that I'm not interested, and brushing them off when they ask why.

You know, that could have made a difference in my response. She seemed much more interested in giving me a Watchtower than in speaking with me. She never asked me a "thought provoking question" or followed up my "no thank you" with a "Have you ever read our literature?". Hmmmm, maybe she should memorize a few Conversation Stoppers in the Reasoning book. Hell, I know I did when I was a dubbie

• Balsam
    Balsam

I finally ran into jw's after being out for 3 years. I took their magazines and told them to come back anytime. I am polite to them, and find basically the gal is only interested in developing a magazine route. Which is fine with me. I feel sorry for her utter ignorance is thinking the whole world is laying the the power of Satan who is nothing more than a figment of some very active and frightened bible writer, right along with his God Jehovah being imaginary.

I do like keeping up with current information, since I work with those coming out of the WTS organization.

Balsam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit