Did Being a JW Make You a Bully VICTIM in SCHOOL?

by Smoldering Wick 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Smoldering Wick
    Smoldering Wick

I read this article in the Montreal Gazette that talked about a young witness kid being bullied in school. It made me think back to all the times I was treated differently in School for being a Jehovah's Witness. I grew up in a predominately Mexican Community and went to public school there from 1st-12th grade as a JW. I had very light skin and had blonde hair past my waist...so I stood out in school anyway. I was shy & quiet but, when it came to being a witness I always took a bold stand in school. I have so many experiences as a witness child in school that I could write a book about it. One that stands out right now happened when I was in second grade. It was Valentine's Day and the teacher had set up bags with everyone's name on it. We were to take turns getting up in class and distributing the Valentines we had brought from home into each bag. When it was my turn, the teacher asked me where my Valentines for the class were. (Of course as a witness, I didn't celebrate Valentine's Day and did not come to school with any) I told her this. She took that opportunity to tell the class to take the Valentines they had for me and throw them away. She went to the chalkboard, took the bag with my name off, and threw it in the trash. I was so humiliated. (yes even as a six yr old) Later, when I raised my hand to ask to use the bathroom, she gave me a harsh look...so I lowered it. I ended up peeing all over my desk, books papers etc.. Of course, the kids pointed and laughed...and the teacher ended up with a crying, wet kid. *sigh* I was wondering if any of you had stories to tell about being a witness in school? ~wick (now of the potty trained class)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________________________________ We must help bully victims be less of a target principal: Defends position. Says kids must learn to behave in age group

ALLISON LAMPERT
    The Gazette

June 25, 2004

CREDIT: ALLEN McINNIS, THE GAZETTE
    Westmount High School principal Claude Dansereau says it is often necessary to address both the behaviour of the bully as well as that of the victim when dealing with these situations at school.

The principal at the centre of a bullying controversy at Westmount High School has dramatically improved student attendance and discipline.

Claude Dansereau made headlines this week for urging an eccentric 15-year-old student at the school of 500 to make himself less of a target to bullies.

Widely described as a no-nonsense principal, he arrived at Westmount high in 2000, after spending years running Batshaw's schools for young offenders and children in youth protection. Many of Dansereau's beliefs stem from his experience at Batshaw. He said he believes kids need to adjust to the society they live in.

Earlier in the year, Dansereau told the mother of Grade 8 student Luke Trust to visit her son less frequently at school. Although Luke, a devout Jehovah's Witness, said he liked seeing his mother, he was often taunted by other kids over her visits.

Dansereau's advice, described in a Gazette article sparked public debate over school's responsibilities toward victims of bullying. Critics said asking the 'bullied' to change is tantamount to blaming the victim, or advocating conformity.

Dansereau disagrees. Although he wouldn't comment specifically on Luke's case, Dansereau said educators should punish tormenters, but also help their victims become less of a target.

"If a victim is acknowledging being bullied since Grade 1, than you have to address the situation of the kids who are bullying that victim," he said in an interview.

"But obviously there is some work that has to be done with the victim. How come the bullies are seeing that kid as such a good target? How come this kid is being systematically victimized?

"Both (kids) are in the process of being adults and both have to receive our help and guidance and that's what we're trying to do at Westmount."

He described the case of one student who didn't want to listen to music during a class dance in the school auditorium. The boy left the auditorium and sat in the corridor with five inches of toilet paper sticking out of each ear, Dansereau said.

"That's a situation where obviously the kid is seen by a group of students and he will be teased," Dansereau said.

"We have students who are acting in a way that they are easily targeted by other kids. They have to learn how to behave within their age group."

That doesn't mean a student who's into the goth subculture, or dresses like a punk needs to transform him, or herself into a copy of Britney Spears.

"We have kids who express their individuality in different ways," Dansereau said. "It's more a question of maturity."

Asking victims to change, he said, isn't a way for schools to avoid enforcing zero tolerance policies toward bullying. Enforcing zero tolerance will never completely eliminate bullying.

"Zero tolerance doesn't mean that kids who are making one comment will be automatically suspended," he said. "What it means is if as an adult you are witnessing a kid being abusive verbally... you intervene."

[email protected]

Online Extra: A Grade 8 student who is relentlessly teased by his classmates says he should not have to conform to their style of dress and behaviour. You can read about it in The Gazette's revamped Web site www.montrealgazette.com

© The Gazette (Montreal) 2004

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Bullying of the one seen by "the group" as different has been going on for centuries. It might be because the kid wears glasses, parts his hair different, etc etc. It doesn't really matter what the reason is, so long as "the group" perceives a difference, then bullying takes place.

From what I've seen some Dub kids may become bullying targets, but no more than other groups, like the Jews.

Ozzie

• Soledad
    Soledad

that principal needs a reality check!!

• Obviously Secret
    Obviously Secret

Most people know my story. I think the crazy doctrine made me totally scared of the world and i threw up alot as a kid. Then I was persecuted as throw up boy more than being a JW. But I was passed the, "God knock on a door" insult a few times.

• Simon
    Simon

I was bullied at school both for being a JW and because I was having problems with my parents splitting up (again, made more complicated by the WTS involvement).

Reaching 'breaking point' and punching one of the bullies before throwing him head-first against the blackboard (in the middle of a lesson!) did put a stop to it. Who says violence never works?

One thing I have noticed is that generally, parents who went through school as JWs are not so 'zealous' in making their kids out as the people who have been converted as adults.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

My life in School was a living hell! There were no other JW's at my school, and from grade one til I left school at 16 to pioneer, I was taunted, beaten up, spit on, gum in hair, tripped, stuck with pins, burning matches flung at me. I was literally a walking Voodoo doll! and was even met by a gang of girls beating me up after school, almost on a daily basis. I was taught never to hit back, which only made matters worse. Constantly having to excuse myself to the library whenever there was a birthday party or Holiday celebration, and leaving the classroom, and standing outside during the Pledge made me very different, and the other kids could not understand it. Not to mention the fact that I felt it was my duty to "Witness" to the other kids. The teachers were even at their wit's end, as they would see what was happening, but could only do so much. I think that may be why I still have issues with self-esteem.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I was. Especially as I got older and it started in Junior High school and High school. I would knock I my schoolmates doors on Sundays and Mondays get laughed at for it. Rough.

In High school the sports kids beat up the nerds, the nerds beat up the chinese kids and then the chinese kids beat me up. I was the bottom of the food chain at least.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I was kind of shy, didn't really know what to say to other kids, so for the most part it was just the alone-ness, the separateness, the differentness. But there was one family that lived down the block from us that hated JWs vehemently. If I walked home that way they would come out and scream at us and call us names, even throw rocks at us. Later in my early teens there was one other guy down the other way from us that made us pretty miserable (verbally), and in my JW induced passive aggressive manner, I took care of it by scooping up some doggy doodoo, wrapping it in nice paper with a bow, putting it on his front porch, ringing the doorbell and then running like hell. Well you know I was beaten within an inch of my life for that one!

Gawd I wouldn't go back to adolescence for anything! Kids can be so cruel without ever once getting physical.

Sherry

• Dan-O
    Dan-O
    punching one of the bullies before throwing him head-first against the blackboard (in the middle of a lesson!) did put a stop to it. Who says violence never works?

Bingo! We have a winner!

The only time that technique didn't work for me was when the guy I knocked over was suddenly on me with several of his buddies, forming a 'family circle'. I thought I was gonna get my ass kicked, but then I got lucky & found some backup.

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

Interesting topic, Wick. Your story brought back some memories for me.

I can remember being in kindergarten, 5 years old, standing on the playground, surrounded by older kids yelling, "Jehovah jerk! Jehovah jerk!"

When I was in 2nd grade, my teacher was the wife of the local Nazarene church pastor. She hated JW kids and so she would use any excuse to grab us by the arms and dig her long, blood red fingernails into our skin. My brother and I had her in successive years and my parents put up the marks on our arms for a while, but then they'd go talk to the principal and he would make her stop. RIP, Mrs. Tierney.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit