Did Being a JW Make You a Bully VICTIM in SCHOOL?

by Smoldering Wick 44 Replies latest jw friends

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

I was a victim until I was in High School. During my 6th grade year the main protagonist was the teacher, himself.

In the case of the students, a well placed left hook did the trick, and I was never bothered again.

In the case of the teacher, a harassment lawsuit against the teacher, and the school district did just fine.

LABD, of the respond according to the threat, class

• Obviously Secret
    Obviously Secret

Ya it totally sucks. My demon paranoia is coming back these days. Even though I was bullied I still loved school because I was away from the crap house for a while.

Man I hate this damn religion, I know demons don't exist but they made me always worried and made me start seeing them everywhere doing crazy stuff. Bah hate it all.

• kilroy2
    kilroy2

Yes when you are different it brings unwanted attention, but we were raised to think of ourselves as better than the unbelievers, and this compounded a difficult problem, I have a cousion who stood up in class when asked to do some holiday thing, she stands up and says I am a jehovahs witness and you are going to die at armagedon, her mom mrs. babcock says I dont know where she gets that attitude from, Oh yes you do, you and the tower ilk taught it to her, like it was tought to us, I can remember feeling like others who were not dubbers were subhuman, and this is how we were tought to feel and how they still teach their cult followers to feel.

The dubbers I know still act like some kind of power has come down from heaven and touched them,My old partner used to say that when he was made an elder that it was hova who made him one, I used to argue with him and ask "Remember when the tower had the artical about the stazi agent [east german kgb equiv.] that went in as a mole to ferrit out the dubbers in east germany? and then supposedly a bolt of lightning hit him and took him out just before he turned them all in, I.E. god was involved, My question was why did god appiont a stazi agent in the first place, was it an over sight? was he on the privy when that one went through? the answer I got was sicking, kundy would say well he must have had a good heart at the time hova apointed him, WOW how can you argue with that kind of stupidity? you cant you just sit back and say there but for the grace of god go I,

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I got bullied at school, all the way through until the end of high school.

The first month at University (attend some years later) I went to a ball in fancy dress - riding boots, spurs, breeches, a leather waistcoat - the theme of the ball was 'dress your fetish'.

At one point I got called over by Roger - captain of the Rugby team, jock extraordinaire - and two other Rugger buggers buddies of his. They were laughing at me, which I didn't mind - the unadventerous dills had just put on DJs rather than expend any effort, so I knew who looked funny in my eyes.

But when Roger deliberately slopped a pint of beer down my front, I horse-whipped the bastard before I'd really had time to think about it. I had a crop in my boots, and next thing I knew it was going towards his head at full force. I had just enough time to pull the blow slightly and make it land on his neck rather than his face, and follow it with the same on the other side.

I then stalked round him stiff legged telling him exactly what I thought of him and went to rejoin my friends who were catching flies.

No one ever gave me shit again. The look on his face, his friend's faces, and him coming up and apologising a few minutes later were true items of joy.

At school I took the turn the other cheek crap far too seriously. I now know that if return violence offered in kind, the kids who bully (rarely the bravest of the brave) will pick a traget that doesn't hit back.

I think I'd have been encouraged or even expected to handle things this way (returning violence for violence) if my parents hadn't been dubbies.

I also think asnwering a question about whether I masturbated honestly was possibly the stupidest thing I did at school 'no it's against my religion' was something that haunted me for years afterwards. And it wasn't even bloddy true, as I beat-off as much as any 14 year-old!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Glitter, I just wanted to say that your response made perfect sense.

I don't think being a JW was the cause, it was just personality conflicts, but not being able to fight back cos of JW rules definitely made it worse - I certainly could've flattened the girls and at least scared the boy enough to leave me alone.

While I don't think kids should be forced to conform and I don't think the victim should get blamed, but in some cases kids who are bullied leave school and go to another school and are still bullied there - they have to have something about them that makes them a target or unpopular and for their own safety they ought to be helped to become less of a target.

I think children can be coached on how to deal with bullying in a positive way. Besides fighting back, many situations can be deflected with a bit of humor. Happy, confident children are rarely picked-on. Teaching children how to fight back does not remove all responsibility from the adults, however, who should be on the alert for this behavior, always.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit