Crazy JW Superstitions...

by Confucious 67 Replies latest jw experiences

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

Great post!!!! I remember most of these, but had never heard the one about the angel on the car OR the one about tampons. That's clas-sick!!! No wonder the JW's don't believe in oral sex....lofl.....

• Special K
    Special K

HAHAHAHhahahahahhha

Elsewhere. that post on "Satans cotton fingers" had me in stitches.

Maxi-pad with wings.. angels..lol

what if a woman wears both.. tampons and Maxi pads with wings. ? sooooo funny.

Does the angel hold the little devil in.....or is the devil only stringing a line......

Special K

• glitter
    glitter

No Mister Softee or Mister Whippy ice-cream! It's got blood in it!

• wednesday
    wednesday

i once had a sis tell me she would not use tampons b/c "it gets me really excited and what would i do if my husband was not around to take care of me?"

Well, as i stared at her with an incredulous look on my face, "guess u shouldn't wear tampons then. They don't seem to be a problem for me".

• badboy
    badboy

Iridology.isn't that the reading of eyes for disease, A pseudo-science

• nobody told me
    nobody told me

My wife told me one last night. It's disrespectful to Jehovah to pray naked. Well there goes to family trip to the nude beach.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

garybuss

I loved your post.

Vita N:

You are stating;

1. "Of course all religion demands that we stay inside a "box." "
    2. "That's religion's great insight into human nature"
    3. "... we do ... innately want ... to be governed."

Please clarify - by religion do you mean an established tradition of some form or do you mean a spiritual belief in a higher power?

• If you mean the former, are you not aware that some religions DO allow one to think out of the box - I can provide examples if you wish to contest this.
    • If you mean the latter... well, some people's spiritual beliefs are not only "out of the box" but could also arguably be used to demonstrate that they are out of their minds. Again, I can provide examples, even on this board.

As you will note, BOTH the alternative explanations to what you mean are, in my opinion false.

Please also clarify why you think your assertion that humans need a box to confine their beliefs in is a great insight into human nature, if such an assertion is true.

And what do you base your assertion that we innately need to be governed on?

Think of it, by analogy, in terms of the finest examples of art. The greatest works of art are freedom of expression combined with form--not the hyper-individualism at display in modern art today that arrogantly spurns all rules and tradition.

So, in effect you are saying that confining an art or philosophy or theology to strict confines (the box) allows that discipline to reach a high level? But art ALLOWS, even encourages innovation and experimentation. If not, we'd still be grinding natural pigments by hand and the rules of perspective would be anethema. It would mean that polyphonic music would be seen as having no merit. Your comparison doesn't stand up very well to examination.

To cite an example...only when the composer Brahms had fully learned the forms, standards, and tradition of music could he say that he was most able to express himself.

Yes, but there are loads of people who have learned forms, standards and traditions. In comparison, how many composers of the level of Brahms are there? His ability to astound to this day required knowledge, but some uniqueness within the confines of his skull made his music special. It wasn't just hard study. Thus your argument that such structures are neccesary seems (sorry, can't resist) 'wanting' as it was Brahm's individuality that make him still remembered today.

And, following your argument above, if Brahms had stayed true to the box of musicians of previous years because he thought that thinking out of the box was somehow bad, he'd of written monophonic, or at best heterophonic pieces.

The result of thinking IN the box is seen in things such as the use of epicycles in the orbit of the planets to make a geocentric universe work. Utter errant nonsence but made neccesary by Ptolomey's unwillingness to think outside of an Aristotelian box.

Kuhn's discussed this issue - he describes it as paradigm as exemplar and paradigm as disciplinary matrix. Do a search for 'Kuhn' and 'paradigm' and you';ll find acres of interesting stuff.

Elsewhere - The Landover Baptist stuffmake me laugh so hard I almost DO end up belieiving in god...

• PriestessLizzie
    PriestessLizzie
    I hear that one, and I beleived it too. Even sometimes I get a little scared I say Jehovah...uugh I am so weak.

I dont think you're weak. You believe in God, and to you his name is Jehovah. When we're frightened, scared, lonely, etc etc...who better to call upon then our Higher Power? It's OKAY to call upon God and take comfort from him. Witnesses are not the only ones who can call on him. He will answer no matter what religion you are. Does that mean He will chase away the catastrophy? Probably not, but He can give you comfort and strength (at least we believe He does) when needed. I see nothing at all wrong with it.

My wife told me one last night. It's disrespectful to Jehovah to pray naked.

Oooh, that's a good one. Makes no sense though since we're born naked. If I were God, I would probably want more people to talk to me when they weren't clothed....in fact, I'd encourage it.

Now, the masturbation thing disturbs me. Of course I was taught the same thing because sex was meant to occur between a married couple for the means of procreation and anything outside of that was sinful. I'm a huge sinner then. I personally thank God and Goddess daily for the creation of rechargable batteries and make regular donations to the owners of Fascinations stores. I'd be miserable without them. Anyone read the DaVinci code? In the book its brought out that sexual acts are utilized by pagans to draw closer to God. I'm pagan and haven't used sex to draw closer to either God or the Goddess, but now I might. It makes sense really. Our bodies are in a most trancelike state and open to things outside of the norm during what point? Climax of course. In the DaVinci Code it states that ancient pagans would use this time of climax to actually see God and/or the Goddess. Sign me up. Seriously though, I think the Higher Powers have better things to do with their time than spy on people having sex. I'd be completely messed up if I thought they were up there, eating popcorn and critiquing what was going on. I can hear them now "Yup, she should have gotten the Eager Beaver 2004 model instead. Tsk tsk, better write that in The Book" Besides that, I highly doubt they are unaware of our physical needs as humans. I'm sure they would prefer us masturbating then jumping into the sack with some random person to satisfy them.

Never heard the tampon one, nor the angel on the car. Actually, I was always taught that we didnt have gaurdian angels watching out for us but that they did on occassion interfere. Personally, I think we do have them with us all the time no matter what-even if we're breaking the law. Some might call it a sixth sense, or a gut feeling. I think its our spirit guide, or guardian angel, sending us a warning. But, we still choose whether to continue our action or change our course.

Now, here's one I do believe. Ouija boards are used as portals for the demons. Sorry folks, but those things scare the living bejesus out of me. I read tarot cards and am fine-but I wont touch those things. *shivers* bad bad aura everytime I've been around one.

• glitter
    glitter

Watching horror movies, hypnotism or seances on TV (even fictional) "invites demons into your home".

Why don't demons just walk through the door?!

• Confucious
    Confucious

That reminds me.

I heard NEVER to fall asleep while watching tv.

Because like if Diana Warwick comes on pitching her Pychic Hotline that demons will come into your house.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit