Crazy JW Superstitions...

by Confucious 67 Replies latest jw experiences

• Vita Nuova
    Vita Nuova

GaryB,

I found your comment quite vague and wanting. Of course all religion demands that we stay inside a "box." That's religion's great insight into human nature...we are given some scope of freedom, but we do oftentimes need (and, innately want) to be governed. Think of it, by analogy, in terms of the finest examples of art. The greatest works of art are freedom of expression combined with form--not the hyper-individualism at display in modern art today that arrogantly spurns all rules and tradition. To cite an example...only when the composer Brahms had fully learned the forms, standards, and tradition of music could he say that he was most able to express himself.

Vita Nuova

• wednesday
    wednesday

U know, i did not actualy realize I was still being affected by some JWS superstitions. the one for example, satan hearing our prayers, if we pray outloud. Apparently i must still believe that, i worry when I pray that satan will hear my prayer. Time to rid myself of that one.

of course masturbation is condemend by jws, but the story i heard adds a litle extra. If a JWS woman masturbates, the demons will penetrate her while she is doing so. They are really obessed with sex and the demons.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I remember a Sister who ended up running around naked in her project building, it was blamed on an African piece of art she purchased, sort of like that movie trilogy of terror with Karen Black.

Also incense attracs the demons, UFO's are demons tricking humans.

In the seventies witnesses with mental diseases were demonized, this one however has changed because if you are a witness today and are not mentally ill you are demonized!

• Fed Up
    Fed Up

First, I have never been a Jehovah's Witness, and this really is a true story.

When we first moved into our house, there were some rather strange events, I kept feeling like someone was behind me, and seeing things move out of the corners of my eyes, felt "unseen" things brushing up against my legs, and my stepdaughter went to stay at a friends house one night when we were gone because she felt she wasn't alone in the house.

My husband is NO longer a witness, but he told me that according to THEIR religious beliefs, there are no such things as ghosts or spirits, but demons will "emulate" ghosts--humoring him, I asked how we could get rid of demons, and he said that according to JW belief, demons can not stand the name "Jehovah", and that they could be driven out by saying the name "Jehovah" 3 times out loud.

Then, one night, while still sleeping, my husband sat up in bed and started talking to someone who wasn't there, but he kept referring to a "red hat", and asking what he was doing in our bedroom. My stepdaughter then told me she had seen someone in a red hat also.

I really was freaked, and figured, what could it hurt? So after everyone had left the next day and I was alone in the house, I went into each room and said "Jehovah" loudly 3 times, and repeated the process in each room 3 times. I didn't tell my husband or stepdaughters I had done it either.

That ended the strange occurances...really, I'm not joking.

• Corvin
    Corvin
    "Jehovah's angel sits on top of your car. And as soon as you go one mile an hour over the speed limit, the angel hops off your car because you're speeding."

I've heard similar crap just as absurd . . . what? Do angels like to hitch rides, but only at a safe speed?

My mother was driving home from the Kingdom Hall one night, obeying all the traffic laws, and was suddenly hit head-on by a drunk driver going 60 mph in a 35 mph zone. If there was angel sitting on the hood of her car, I'll bet you, by God, he'll never do that again.

Corvin

• dh
    dh
    When under attack by demons, especially at night, turn on the lights. Apparently demons though very ancient and powerful spirits, have an aversion to electric light.

i will add to that... when under demon attack, call jehovah's name and they will leave you alone... i used to do this when the demons would attack me, but it never really worked, their attacks were furious but i survived, in the end i got so used to the demons being there that most of the time now i hardly even notice them.

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

Alias wrote:

Not to pray outloud because Satan will hear you and know your weaknesses.

In the Pentecostal church that I attend, the Pastor said that Satan can not understand pray prayed in tongues.

Stupidity is not limited to the J-Dubs.

LABD, of the even Christianty has some stupid ideas, class

• Larry
    Larry

Gary B - I'll have to pay more attention to your post from now on, b/c what you said was on the money:

"Theism has been taught and accepted without question."

Regarding mentioning Jah's name while under a Demon attack - Well, other religions use the name of 'Jesus' and the results are the same. They claim that using Jesus name is a protection

My theory is - Those strange occurrences happens only if you believe them. The mind can make anything happen. One persons belief is anyone persons entertainment.

Faithless - LL :)

• Special K
    Special K

I was told I was blocking Jehovah's spirit one time by an elder...because I wouldn't drop it about a young witness girl being molested.

At the time I felt awful... but really I should have been thinking .."Hey, I'm really powerful.. I can stop the holy spirit of the Almighty God"..

It really makes God seem so weak and feeble.

sincerely

Special K

• Special K
    Special K

Another one that really used to get my goat was always being told

I needed to protect Jehovahs name...

DaaaaaH. He is god, right..and I need to protect him? I never understood that one.

sincerely

Special K

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit