Crazy JW Superstitions...

by Confucious 67 Replies latest jw experiences

• Confucious
    Confucious

Hey!

Ok, we all know of this uncanny word play about not saying, "You were lucky," and not saying "bless you" after someone sneezes.

But this is a bizarre one I heard.

"Jehovah's angel sits on top of your car. And as soon as you go one mile an hour over the speed limit, the angel hops off your car because you're speeding."

Any other "bizzarro" superstitions???

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    "Jehovah's angel sits on top of your car. And as soon as you go one mile an hour over the speed limit, the angel hops off your car because you're speeding."

Never heard that one before! LOL

This may not be a superstition per se, but a belief:

If you do a split ( as in gymnastics), you could loose your virginity. Therefore no gymnastics!

• dh
    dh

you are safest from demons/world/whatever when you read the bible, because all of the angels are standing behind you trying to see it... angels have never read the bible before.

i heard this, but i can't remeber where.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I was thinking about this one a little while ago.

If your Bible study is smoking, the holy spirit is blocked for your study, so you have to ask them not to smoke until you leave.

That takes the cake, I think.

• alias
    alias

Not to pray outloud because Satan will hear you and know your weaknesses.

As if that isn't obvious in your body language and the things you talk about to other people in everyday life.

alias

• pudd
    pudd

Not to buy things that are second hand as you do not know where they have come from and they could be demon possessed!

• Satanus
    Satanus

Masturbation will make you homosexual.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Actually, this is quite old to me. It was current in the early/mid 80s in the Pentecostal circle I associated with back then. A mate of mine once told me he and another mate (who is now the pastor of a church of 1000-2000) were driving in the other guy's car. Noticing that they were exceeding the speed limit, the first bloke said "___, you just blew the angels off the car!" So ___ pulls over and says "Well, we'd better let them catch up!"

The justification for this bizarre behaviour is the belief that you're no longer under the protection of God (and his angels) when you breach the law.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    Not to pray outloud because Satan will hear you and know your weaknesses.

This one was also common in Pente churches. The belief is that Satan can't read minds, so silent prayer won't be intercepted. Kind of buggers up the idea of group prayer, though, doesn't it! Anyway, some of the Pentes take it a step further, and effectively use a "double measure" of this belief to further some of their own doctrinal peculiarities. It works like this:

When you pray in tongues (basically babble gibberish), you are speaking a "heavenly language" given to you by the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit dwelling in you knows your needs and wants, and prompts you to pray about those in your "heavenly tongue". Because you don't know what you're praying, neither does the Devil, so he won't know what hit him when your prayers are answered! Hooray!

• kitties_and_horses_oh_my!
    kitties_and_horses_oh_my!

You know, I used to actually be afraid to pray out loud at times for fear Satan would use it against me. I thought that if he knew my darkest fears, when the time for the tribulation came that is what he would "test" me with. I was terrified that he might know that I was afraid of snakes, rats, etc. (like there are a lot of people who aren't!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit