What did people do before they had computers?

by ball. 36 Replies latest jw friends

• ball.
    ball.
    Ps .. so its you who put up the kingdom melodies on gnutella ! I suppose next they'll be on fast track and overnet hey !! hehehe only kidding .

LOL Well I have put the Watchtower library up before on the kazaa network, not sure if its still on there.

Shame you live so far away as I have stuff like power supplies all over the place. I actually have 40 PCs in my bedroom which I'm dismantling at the mo, although most of the power supplies are AT.

Here's the Antec power supply I just put in my main server:

at 70 quid it's a bit expensive, but is the dogs bollocks.

• ball.
    ball.

p.s. those are gold-plated grills.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

You are obviously from England

• Nadsam
    Nadsam

toooo fine !! Nice modding !

I can only dream of 40 in my bedroom ...wifey is always complaining about the hours and hours I spend busy with my hobby. In September I'll be buiding a gaming PC with nice new parts...(saving up for it).

Was thinging of going 64bit but have reconsidered and will probably go 32bit with at least a 3.0Ghz.unless the AMD guys are going to spring a surprise by year end and come up with a super chip ?? Was watching clickonline on BBC a while ago and rumors are that where heading for a chip fest soon.??? maybe soon a Longhorn P5 64BIT 4.0Ghz with a nice Geforce7FX so that we can get at least 70FPS in aquamark3 !! and of course an 800w PSU to run my 4Gig DDR and 3 blue tooth DVDRW's and 80" plasma screen ...pant pant......

Such a nice day dream (better than hustler)

Nadsam

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

Those crude old BW TV shows like outer limits and twilight zone were state of the art when i was in elementary school. I remember picking up the ole rotary phone to place a long distance and the operator would chime in ,"your number please"? You know you're living in 2004 when...

1. You accidentally enter your password on the microwave.

2. You haven't played solitaire with real cards in years.

3. You have a list of 15 phone numbers to reach your family of 3.

4. You e-mail the person who works at the desk next to you.

5. Your reason for not staying in touch with friends and family is that

they don't have e-mail addresses.

6. You go home after a long day at work you still answer the phone in
    a business manner.

7. You make phone calls from home, you accidentally dial "9" to get an
    outside line.
    8. You've sat at the same desk for four years and worked for three
    different companies.

10. You learn about your redundancy on the 11 o'clock news.

11. Your boss doesn't have the ability to do your job.

12. You pull up in your own driveway and use your cell phone to see if
    anyone is home.
    13. Every commercial on television has a website at the bottom of the
    screen.

14. Leaving the house without your cell phone, which you didn't have
    the first 20 or 30 (or 60) years of your life, is now a cause for
    panic
    and you turn around to go and get it.

15. You get up in the morning and go on line before getting your
    coffee.

16. You start tilting your head sideways to smile. :) 17. You're reading this and nodding and laughing.

18. Even worse, you know exactly to whom you are going to forward this
    message.

19. You are too busy to notice there was no #9 on this list.

20. You actually scrolled back up to check that there wasn't a #9 on
    this list.

AND NOW U R LAUGHING at yourself. alt

You are busted buddy.....

• ball.
    ball.

LOL Danny that was brilliant, yes I scrolled up, etc!!!

You are obviously from England

Yep, but the power supply and my favourite case is from the US and very good they are too.

Nadsam, Im not going 64bit until Bill Gates comes out with something useful and I can get a cracked version of it.

God, all this technology and I can't get the highlighter to switch off!!!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I am slightly out of touch -- what is the maximum RAM available on a single chip and how much on one motherboard for a home PC desktop?

• ball.
    ball.

I'm not sure what the maximum available is but a common configuration for power users is currently a matched pair of two 512k SIMMs giving you 1 GIG of memory. Most users won't need that much. Standard motherboards have 4 slots, so that configuration would leave you with 2 spare slots. Upgrading is possible, but if you really care about performance, don't mix manufacturers or memory speeds. If you mix old and new memory, it will all work at the lower speed.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Whoa!! For a minute I thought I was on Slashdot, not JWD!!

My first computer was a Commodore 64, didn't even have a floppy drive at first. Any of you remember typing in those programs from Compute!, hoping when you got all done you didn't make any typos or it was all for naught? Good times!!

No Apologies( of the bits and bytes class)

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

My father bought me a vic-20 and later on I bought a 16K ram add-on and cassette saver. This was like 1982. I loved programming and basicm macnine languagem but my fatther discouraged me from going to school in favor of pursuring a career in Missionaryhood.

What a waste

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit