What did people do before they had computers?

by ball. 36 Replies latest jw friends

• ball.
    ball.

Just got my 5th computer on my home network, but I've wired this one up next to my other base unit with a Belkin KVM switch box so I can actually control two of them at the same time. I'm pretty pleased with the result. I have to run Netlimiter which is a really cool app. This restricts the bandwidth used up by my Limewire server, which is also running messenger and a few other apps. Meanwhile I can do important stuff like playing games on my main server.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

Computers are computers, what you have set up is Comic Book guy fantasy room.

Worst room ever!

• jwbot
    jwbot

I have had a computer sinse I was 5. Was there a time before computers? ;)

• Obviously Secret
  • ball.
    ball.
    Computers are computers

You know, theres a room at work filled with massive mainframes and I look in the window when I go past and it makes me dribble.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Well,back when I was little we would wait outside and look for smoke rising from far away ridges. The smoke would come up in timed puffs, like code. then we would mimic the code and relay it so the folks on the next ridge could share the news.

Then a few years later we would run to the Telegraph office... even if we did'nt get a message the rythm of the recievre, dot dash dash dot dot .... was amazing! Later while 'a horsback on the praries we would pass time listing to the dots a dashes send vibrations down the poles that elevated the telegraph wires.

Even later, as a young man, I remember the crank telephone....."Edna!..Get me Doc Hanson over in Green River!"..... ahh, those were the days!

Hillbilly

• ball.
    ball.
    Masturbate to women's ankles.

wow - what I would do for some women's ankles!

• Nadsam
    Nadsam

Yo Ball..glad to see there's another geek on this forum...I thought I was alone.

I 've been mostly off line for six weeks now busy with a buggy PC I'm building. Mostly oldish P4 (2001/12) 1.50Ghz cpu with 440 mbo parts(IDE's etc)) with 2x256 sdram pc133's, 2x40GB HDD's, 1 cdrw and 1 DVDRW. Problem is I could only scrunge a 300w PSU so I'm gettin stuck in the infinite loop thingy ! I was fortunate to get a nice and cheap AGP ...Installed a GeForce FX5200 with forceware 61.41 (beta)and it goes like a rocket for about 20minutes and then crashes (not agp related). No BSOD just reboots with a 0x0000009c ! Hardware failure. So now I'm looking for a good PSU. ..maybe 450W. Problem is I can't get one locally so will have to order it. In the meantime I'm formating , benchmarking BIOSing, BEOSing and heatsink, cooling etc etc. Maybe I'll eventually find the crash fix but as you said ..what would life be without a PC.

Ps .. so its you who put up the kingdom melodies on gnutella ! I suppose next they'll be on fast track and overnet hey !! hehehe only kidding .

Pss..I also ran a MOHAA server briefly but it was eventually cracked and I couldn't stop kernel buffer overruns..some bstrd was pinging me with anonymizer/neotrace (I suppose to use as a keepalive connection or perhaps a port 135 hunt (almost 45000 interrupts on zonealarm in two days)?? so I couldn't keep it up for long since it was a dial up server for low ping ISDN...despite the gloriuos MSWup patches etc etc I kept getting buffer overruns and after the whole RPC threat last year I just decided I'd rather play than host...basically turned my attention to hardware as a hobby than apps and code

Nadsam

[email protected] PM me if you want to talk tech

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Read, have conversation, listen to music and watch TV - I got my first computer in 1979 - it had 1 kilobyte of RAM --

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

I don't remember ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit