What are the flaws of this forum?

by Vita Nuova 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Vita Nuova
    Vita Nuova

As much information, insight and entertainment this forum provides, some things about its format and design have come to annoy me. Let me start by saying that I think one of the biggest weaknesses of this forum may be the Active Topics option at the top. It seems to me that some people may use this option just to see which topics are still alive. This option therefore makes it quite easy for some people to intervene in a thoughtful conversation with a rather thoughtless reaction. This observation about the "Active Topics" option may not be altogether true, but it is something that easily explains the prolific amount of responses made by individual members across a wide scope of threads. Of course, it just may be that this forum is so addictive.

But the problem that exists, nonetheless, is that some members are ennabled to make the most inane comments within an otherwise thoughtful thread. It's not that I am annoyed by the humor that I rather enjoy within any discussion, I am speaking particularly of the pseudo-thinkers on this board that make their sometimes esoteric, hyper-reductive, dishonest, or lazy attempts at intellect with stock arguments and affected poses to steady themselves on. I would like to make a distinction between these members and those sincerely curious and meek minds who have a genuine respect for knowledge and thought. But these are not the same people who will hijack a good thread with a dull dispute that mostly involves semantics and an unlearned, undisciplined style of cut-and-paste argument. The only solution to this, as I see it, is that we simply muster the self-control to refrain from responding to some members' abuse of a democratic forum.

Perhaps, though, I am just venting about the disdain for careful thought that seems so prevalent in some people's argumentation.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Vita,

Well thank God you have finally arrive to set us straight.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I hear what you are saying and I think I understand where you are coming from and what you are trying to say. With respect however, most people on this forum enjoy being able to do just what you do not like -- that is make a comment that is not scripted -- it is the exact opposite of a watchtower study - so IMHO things should stay as they are - it is all part of the healing process

• jgnat
    jgnat

These same flaws pervade our society, IMO. I vote on Monday, and the only information I have to go on is opinion polls and mudslinging commercials. This media-driven society does not have time for deep introspection.

For example, Albert Schweitzer chose to speak out against the Atomic Bomb by preparing a rather lengthy speech. He thought this would be the ideal method to appeal to a world audience.

http://www.nobel.se/peace/laureates/1952/schweitzer-lecture-e.html

How was he to know that few would take the time to read, and absorb the message? The doomsday clock met audience sympathies better.

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Simple solution. You don't have to read every reply to every thread.

With a board this big, you are bound to have people comment on the wide variety of topics that is on this forum. You will have the thoughtful posters, the smartass posters, the people who love to debate any topic, and the one liners.

All of these people contribute to this board and it's the variety of these type of posters who make this board as good as it is.

Just my 2 cents.

• Vita Nuova
    Vita Nuova

stillajwexelder,

What is exactly wrong with "scripted" responses? If I understand you right, what you mean by this are thoughtful responses. Maybe it's not exactly "keepin' it real" but how does a shoot-from-the-hip response make a solid point exactly? Such statements engender more confusion than clarity.

it is the exact opposite of a watchtower study

If I may politely discredit your comment--to resort to such sneaky (and irrelevant) comparisons is an example of the reactionary responses that I needed to make my point.

Regards.

• neverthere
    neverthere

I love the active topics link, it provides a way to see what is being discussed on the board quickly, and some topics I would not think to look for that are being discussed are in headings that I might not normally look under.

IMHO it is a "good thing"

Diana

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface
    VN : If I may politely discredit your comment--to resort to such sneaky (and irrelevant) comparisons is an example of the reactionary responses that I needed to make my point.

So what, we are able to read in between the lines ...
    I don't understand you, what do you want ?... ok as El kabong said variety, and the side of the site gives you/everybody the CHOICE ...

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

What is exactly wrong with "scripted" responses? If I understand you right, what you mean by this are thoughtful responses. Maybe it's not exactly "keepin' it real" but how does a shoot-from-the-hip response make a solid point exactly? Such statements engender more confusion than clarity.

it is the exact opposite of a watchtower study

If I may politely discredit your comment--to resort to such sneaky (and irrelevant) comparisons is an example of the reactionary responses that I needed to make my point.

to resort to such sneaky (and irrelevant) comparisons - I resent that comment but respect your right to make it. I am not being sneaky - that is not my personality. Let us go back to the Watctower for it is VERY relevant on this board. Let us be honest - because of WT policy very few witnesses have had a good education and can not thus always give thoughtful replies. I f they are no longer witnesses as part of the healing process they do not want to give scripted responses. So what is wrong with them shooting from the hip - I am sorry if some of us disappoint you. I do not want to fall out with you but I resent your comments

• Valis
    Valis

Clearly the problem with this forum is that we don't have enough boobie threads..

YOU WILL RESPECT OUR VARIATIIIIY!!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit