9/11(Film) - Freedom burning alright

by catchthis 102 Replies latest social entertainment

• catchthis
    catchthis

So have you seen the film yet? What was your impression of it? Here was mine:

MM did not appear as much in this film as his others. I would say that you see him for a total of around 5-10 minutes out of the two hours. The majority of the footage is archival(2/3's?) with the rest being interviews(1/3?). I went in with a clear mind and tried to focus on critically "tearing" the film apart as a pro-Bush supporter would. It was a difficult task to do.

The negatives. When MM was explaining the Saudi and Bin Laden connections and the flights they took to leave the country, it did appear at first that they were able to fly immediately after 9/11, that day almost. But, it was stated right after that they were able to leave between the 13th through the 24th?? This was the only major negative I could find in the film. I felt mislead a little, but if you listen to the narration and look at the documentation on the screen, MM states the facts honestly. Any other negatives? Nothing springs to mind right now. I will have to see it again to have it soak in a little more.

The film guarantees laughs throughout the two hours, mainly at the expense of GWB. In fact, it is footage of GWB that makes himself look and act like a redneck hillbilly from Texas. GWB's supporting cast administration is also given their shot at improvisational comedy. Singing, sucking on a comb, etc.

If anything, this film will anger you over the "big business" schemes. Carlyle and Halliburton are well represented. MM expertly tied many of these companies together and showed the connections to the Saudi royals.

The so-called Iraqi abuses that MM filmed before the pictures were released were not the same abuses as you might think. The only footage of US soldiers "abusing" Iraqis were of them putting on hoods and taking pictures of them. One Iraqi(couldn't tell if he was already dead) was being "touched" by a soldier referencing his "hard-on." That was it. No dogs, no strip downs, no shaving, no sexual games.

The film probably earned it's R rating due to one particular soldier being interviewed(drops the F-bomb about 4 times referring to a song) along with a few shots of Iraqi citizens after being bombed or shot.

Lila Lipscomb from Flint, MI was the real tear-jerker in the film. I won't go into her details, but I guarantee you will shed a tear or two. If you don't, you must have had your tearducts surgically removed.

Overall, I would give it an 'A' on an A-F grading scale. The documentation presented and archival footage shown is the surging backbone of this film which will keep it going through November. If the anti-Moore critics happen to find something wrong with this film, I will be very surprised. I kept trying to find things myself but could not. You will agree, the achived footage is too powerful to criticize or pick apart. No matter what your political leanings are, this is a must-see film. Towards the end, MM quotes from Orwell's 1984 which sums everything up quite nicely. Once you hear the quote, everything presented in the film comes together as if it were a prophecy by Orwell.

alt

• glitter
    glitter

I'm really looking forward to seeing this, I've liked (mostly) Michael Moore since TV Nation was on the BBC about 10 years ago.

The "scandal" of connections with the Bushes and the Bin Ladens never really shocked me, they're both wealthy families and businesspeople and I always read in articles from various sources that Osama Bin Laden was an outcast from his family.

I heard a reason for the R was also footage of beheadings of prisoners in Saudi Arabia - is this in or cut (no pun intended!)? I hope it really lays into the Saudi government about extremism and terrorist links.

• Golf
    Golf

CT, my son and I went to see the movie last night at the old Montreal forum. All the showings were sold out.

Yes, there was laughter and tears. I entered the movie with one impression, how will the audience react? The gave a resounding hand clap at the end!

Yes, it's a must see movie.

Guest 77

• exjdub
    exjdub

Catchthis,

Your synopsis of Farenheit 911 is right on point. I came away with the same thoughts you did, including the Bin Laden flights out of the country. What was disturbing, however, was the fact that there were more than just a few of the Bin Ladens on those planes. I forget the exact number, but if I recall correctly, there were hundreds of people flown out of the country.

If the anti-Moore critics happen to find something wrong with this film, I will be very surprised.

The anti-Moore critics will always find something wrong, but it will be about the way MM edited the film, rather than to answer if the events reported really occurred. One funny thing: Because there was such a debate about MM and the footage at the elementary school on a thread here recently, I paid extra attention to that part of the film. There is no way, as has been stated on the thread, that Bush did not act so as not to scare the children. The expression on his face was clear. He did not know what in the hell to do. He was lost.

exjdub

• patio34
    patio34

I saw it yesterday afternoon, CT and agree with your synopsis on it. The scenes of torture were not that at all and wouldn't have made any difference if he had released them earlier than the movie. Maybe he had more he edited out. I kept waiting for Barbara Bush to be shown saying that line about their "beautiful minds," but that must have been edited too.

I started a thread on it too. One of the most profoundly powerful moments for me was the Iraqi woman railing and crying after their home had been bombed when she said: "God, save us from them!!" It dawned on me "them" is us. Sad.

There was a scene of a Saudi beheading---live. It was quick, but clear.

The theater was very crowded and a long line, with many of my co-workers was waiting for the next show when I left. There was applause after the movie here too.

A good thing about Moore is that when it was so tragic and sad, he pulled back with either some statistical data or appropriately placed humor before you get too overwhelmed with it.

Very artistic!

Pat

• catchthis
    catchthis

Yes, I forgot about the Saudi beheading. In that scene, if you are just gazing over the entire picture, you could miss it. The vantage point is probably 150 yards or so from that spot. MM never really laid into the Saudis in my mind. He could have, but he simply showed the ties between them and the Bush's. I thought it was very funny interesting that the Secret Service was asking MM about his documentary being filmed in front of the Saudi embassy. They own 5-6% of the USA? Good lord.

The document from GWB's military record was intriguing. I wonder if the real reason for the administration blacking out that name was for the exact reason MM brought out?

• simplesally
    simplesally

I was watching a movie review on tv and they said it was great and reprehensible, I did not see his whole report and was wondering what he could have meant.

• patio34
    patio34

Hi CT,

I'm seeing it again tomorrow with my sons. There was plenty in it to mull over a few times. The movie is going to be "fast-tracked" to DVD before this fall, I believe, so that more people can see it.

I'm attending a local peace group's party Monday night wherein it's connected someway to Michael Moore for a live "town meeting." It's organized by MoveOn.Org.

Pat

• bigboi
    bigboi

I'd say great because he presented his views honestly with documentation. Reprehensible, because it's a bit campy and definitley biased against Bush and Co.

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

Or the "reprehensible" could be directed towards GWB and what he's done to America over the past four years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit