What Are You READING?

by patio34 67 Replies latest social entertainment

• Special K
    Special K

I read all the Diana Gabaldon Series...all 5 Plus my husband bought me "The Outlandish Companion"for Christmas.

I just finished reading "When Bad Things Happen to Good People".

My neighbour and I are both reading that one. Her husband has terminal brain cancer.

Alot of good thought processes in the first 1/2 of that book.

sincerely

Special K

• talesin
    talesin

My shrink recommended I read "The Poisonwood Bible". It's on my list.

Lewis

That's so cool. Can you list the titles? I'd love to try my hand at making a book or two over the winter. Thanks.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

I finished The DaVinci Code not to long ago with I really really enjoyed.

And I'm not joking, I'm currently reading Mein Kampf from Adolf Hitler. It's a very long book, and I've been working on it for ages.

Chevy of the 'Is part Jewish so give me a break' class

• patio34
    patio34

This is all so interesting. I've put some books from this thread on my list now too. Barbara Kingsolver is very enjoyable, but I read only Turtle Moon (was that the name?).

Oh, Mulan, I read Princess by Jean Sasson---very interesting and tragic!

So many books and so little time, lol!

Pat

• Mulan
    Mulan
    I finished The DaVinci Code not to long ago with I really really enjoyed.

I read that one too, and Angels and Demons by the same author.

I didn't realize, until this thread how much I do read.

Another book I highly recommend is Mists of Avalon. It's another Arthurian story, but has a strong religious aspect to it with a conflict between the worship of the Goddess and the "new religion", Christianity. You see immediately the irony of it all. At least I did.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Chevy I am been plodding thru Hilters Second book, it's slow going cause he creeps me out

I also have been snacking on Great Expectations LOL YES I have like 6 or 7 books going at once

• Lewis
    Lewis

talesin:

Lewis -- That's so cool. Can you list the titles? I'd love to try my hand at making a book or two over the winter. Thanks.

The ones I presently have are: "The Pop-Up Book" by Paul Jackson; "The Elements of Pop-Up" by David A. Cooper and James Diaz; and "Making Books That Fly, Fold, Wrap, Hide, Pop-Up, Twist, and Turn," by Gwen Diehn.

Of course, going to the library and/or the children's section of larger book stores and checking out for yourself the mechanics of how things work is also good.

Love, Lewis

PS: You're the first person that's had a nice word for me on this site. Thanks.

• rem
    rem

The Skeptical Environmentalist, Bjorn Lomborg
    Beyond Good and Evil, Frederick Nietzsche

Looking forward to Prisoner's Dilemma, a sort of biography about Von Neuman and game theory.

rem

• Daga
    Daga

The Bell Curve, Up From Slavery, Useful Idiots and The Haunted Wood

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Just finished "The Lord is My Shepherd" by Rabbi Kushner, a book about the 23rd Psalm. Enjoyed it.

Just started "Positive Energy" by Judith Orloff. A book about energy systems of the human body, psyche

Listening to books on cd on my commute:

"Boy" by Roald Dahl, his autobiography of his early years. Excellent. He wrote two of my favorite children's books "James and the Giant Peach" and "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory."

"The Tao of Physics" by Fritjof Capra, a book about parallels between physics and eastern mysticism

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit