What Are You READING?

by patio34 67 Replies latest social entertainment

• talesin
    talesin

Mulan

I just googled Sasson. You were pretty close on the title of the second one. She has a couple more. I must check the library ...

Princess Sultana's Daughters; published in 1994

Princess Sultana's Circle; published in 2000

Ester's Child; published 2001

Mayada, Daughter of Iraq; published October 2003

• Obviously Secret
    Obviously Secret

I'm catching up on the classics I forgot to read. Currently reading Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickenson Then about to try to read most of the Dune series. I scanned the Harninken house one and It seemed very nice.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Right now the board. Pretty soon (and if Mulan gets her way sooner) my eyelids.

I have been trying to read several books for quiet a long time. The last book I finished from cover to cover was CoC, the book before that was "Miles From Nowhere". I have tons of books and keep starting them and not having enought enterest to finish one......frustrated that's what I am.

Oh give me a good self-help book and it's like so finished, I love that kind of reading.

Kate

• sandy
    sandy

I just read THE FIVE PEOPLE YOU MEET IN HEAVEN By Mitch Albom

I posted the following on a seperate thread this past week.

I came across this book a couple months ago. I just read it a couple weeks ago and found it to be quite enjoyable. The summary from the book's jacket is below. The author is Mitch Albom. I found it to be a really sweet book that shows us that seemingly insignificant lives actually do have meaning.

Eddie is a wounded war veteran, an old man who has

lived, in his mind, an uninspired life. His job is fixing

rides at a seaside amusement park. On his 83rd

birthday, a tragic accident kills him as he tries to save

a little girl from a falling cart. He awakes in the

afterlife, where he learns that heaven is not a

destination. It's a place where your life is explained to

you by five people, some of whom you knew, others

who may have been strangers. One by one, from

childhood to soldier to old age, Eddie's five people

revisit their connections to him on earth, illuminating

the mysteries of his "meaningless" life, and revealing

the haunting secret behind the eternal question: "Why

was I here?"

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver.

I just love how she writes about nature and human emotion. Her book The Poisonwood Bible is a must for everyone here.

• Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider

Talesin:

Funny you mentioned "On Writing" By SK.
    I read that book not long after I finished writing my first novel. It was as good as any of his books.My favorite King novel is "IT". That one just scares the hell out of me.

Its been a whils since I read the "DUNE" series. I enjoyed them and may have to read them again.

Thunder ==}>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• 4JWY
    4JWY

Some "light" reading to make you heavy!

I bought myself a book of "1001 Cookie Recipes" with 1001 full color photographs - 1 of each type of cookie.

As I leafed through it, I realized I've made like three types of cookies in my whole life: peanut butter, choc. chip, and oatmeal.

This book has every type of cookie pictured that I have ever seen at every holiday time in bakeries, at work, stores - that I would never buy thinking that it was a "bad" cookie! My son's looking forward to me making a new cookie each week until the day I die.

• talesin
    talesin

OS

"It was the best of times, and the worst of times ... " BEST opening line of any book, EVER.

Sometimes folks think I'm nuts for this, but I think Stephen King is the Dickens of our time. He chronicled his time, and wrote stories for the common person. He was prolific, and a 'popular' rather than a 'serious' author. Have you read Great Expectations yet? That's another favorite, and I highly recommend it. ;)

• Mulan
    Mulan
    The Poisonwood Bible

I read that one too. A great read.

• Lewis
    Lewis

I'm just finishing the autobiographical "The Spiral Staircase -- My Climb Out of Darkness" by Karen Armstrong. She is British scholar and a former nun who also wrote the "History of God" and "The Battle for God."

It's so amazing to me that there is so many similarities between various authoritarian religious experiences. While a nun she had to hand over her thinking and feelings to her superiors. Then, when she decided to leave, it reads like stark-raving post JW behavior.

I'm also reading some how-to-make "pop-up" books. I'm an artist and I'm making some sexually explicit [imagine] pop-up books for adults.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit